remembering Mathew Shepherd

cwsox

Everyone must be glad God is a forgiving person. You bring up that God is a forgiving person in a thread on homosexuality. I do agree with BMR on the fact that they rather over do they whole Matthew Shepherd thing, and why is one man's life worth more than another. Correct me if I am wrong, but is homosexual acts not against the Catholic religion? All I learned in my Catholic education was that it is. Homosexuality is not wrong, just the acts are. Shepherd had been intending to go perfrom acts. I in no way condone what happen to him, that is a very bad story. But, Shepherd, like all of us, was a sinner. Look at Sodom and Gamorah. I do believe that the extent homosexuality is being taken to now is wrong. I in no way feel same sex marriages should occur. If a person is a homosexual, fine, but do not act on it. I learned about all of the arguments on both side, and I have never understood how a homosexual is born like that. I also hate how people arguing the point always ask 'where you born straight.' I just find that ignorant.

If one of my friends came out and told me he or she was a homosexual, it honestly would take a little bit of time to get used to the fact. I know not a single homosexual person, atleast no one who has ever come out.

Well, its a point of view. But a wrong one :D

I've talked with a lot of ministers about being gay and what that means. I grew up Catholic, and although I respect the Church's position that being gay isn't wrong, I don't agree the Church's position that acting on your, by the church's own implication, natural impulses, by entering a loving relationship with a person of the same sex, is wrong. The Church and most Christian churches say that sex without commitment is, indeed, a sin. I won't argue with that. I do disagree with the fact that people of the same sex can't find love with the same depth and meaning as people of the opposite sex can. It's foolish.

People who argue same sex marriage is unnatural because it can't produce children should also then prohibit marriage for sterile adults, people beyond menopause, etc. But they don't. Their love is not viewed any less valid.

Myself, I could care less if recognition of my committed relationship is called a marriage - but legally, here's what it means.

A gay couple together for thirty years has no marriage rights. One falls ill with terminal cancer. His or her partner, the most important person to him/her, does not have the legal right to visit. If a partner dies, the other one may find himself or herself completely out of luck when it comes to inheritance rights. The fact is, that there are certain protections that all partners should have when they make a commitment to themselves. Those are important.

People talk about a gay agenda. I guess I have one. I want to not have to fear for losing my job if my boss suspects homosexuality. That's legal in 47 states. I want to be in a committed relationship and not have to avoid saying him or he in casual conversation. You can have your marriage, I just want tolerance.

Oh and by the way, I don't understand why homosexuals or bisexuals are born. But being bi, I'm pretty sure that they are. Because it took me a long time to be able to be comfortable with who I am. And that time wasn't fun.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

...winodj's long post...

I do agree with the Church's stance on homosexual acts. The Church has many policies in which we sin everyday. It is also allowed that you can disagree with the Church, if you truely, in your hearts of heart, believe in what you are doing. You need to pray for what you are thinking and read Scripture.

I, in no way, say that being gay is wrong. The marriage is a big thing. You are right about the procreation being a large part of marriage. That is only one half of marriage. I forget what teh second half is off the top of my head, but it involves becoming one person. The spiritual effects of what it does.

If you truely believe in yourself and who you are, I respect you for that. I just truely find same sex marriages wrong, and I feel homosexual organizations do way too much to make sure that everyone knows it.They could be much more subtle and would probably get more accomplished.

Dude, just so ya know. I belong to no organizations... except the "Man, I'm a cool guy" club.

I was in the boy scouts... but thats another thing being honest with myself stopped me from being involved in.

Most activist organizations in general are too extreme for their own good, gay, straight, pro-life, pro-choice, republican and democrat. Most activists are just silly. :drink

I dont care what youre posting about.  ITs absolutely amazing to me that gays will use someones death to support their bulls*** agenda.  They dont give a f*** about that mans pain and death.  They want to use him to make people feel sorry for THEM.  Its f***ing pathetic..........

BMR, with all your deep and vast contacts with the gay community, you know what lies in the heart of every gay person and straight person who grieves and mourns over a young man beng beaten savagely, tied to a fence, and left to die. You know that no one has any human emotion about this, that remembering Mathew Shepherd ios all a political ploy.

That is as right as everything else that you post.

And then of course are your continued personal attacks on me, in which you describe the intimate details of my private life when you have never even met me, let alone that you are totally uninformed as to my life as you are to what goes on in the hearts and minds of gays and lesbians and straight people who mourn the savage murder of Mathew Shepherd.

Jason, trying to turn cute and discuss Michael Jordan after the viciousness of the personal attacks doesn't cut it. Ignoring the festering wound does not make it go away. Jason, when do you take a stand? What was WSC suspended for that has not been deeply transgressed by others, but more so?

Your hate was revealed in your own posts in another thread and is ever present here. But the more you attack and go on, the more pity I have for you. You have to be hurting very badly to have so much venon. You presume to know what goes on in the hearts and minds of people whom you have never met - be it gay leadership or me or whoever.

God is a God of great grace and mercy. You will receive much grace from God. I pray, as I have this evening, that you will find healing what whatever it is that causes your bitterness at life.

And I expect in return: more personal attacks, a series of the smileys, a few sets of initials (LMAO among others) and all the other denial and deflection methods that are yours. Go ahead. I will sleep very well tonight in a communion with my God that is at oneness and peace. You will sleep with rage, anger, bitterness, spitting invectives. But you are of all people most to be pitied and I ask others on here to regard you with compassion and mercy - even though you give none - for you above all need healing from the wrath that consumes you.

BMR, with all your deep and vast contacts with the gay community, you know what lies in the heart of every gay person and straight person who grieves and mourns over a young man beng beaten savagely, tied to a fence, and left to die.  You know that no one has any human emotion about this, that remembering Mathew Shepherd ios all a political ploy.

And then of course are your continued personal attacks on me, in which you describe the intimate details of my private life when you have never even met me, let alone that you are totally uninformed as to my life as you are to what goes on in the hearts and minds of gays and lesbians and straight people who mourn the savage murder of Mathew Shepherd.

Jason, trying to turn cute and discuss Michael Jordan after the viciousness of the personal attacks doesn't cut it.  Ignoring the festering wound does not make it go away.  Jason, when do you take a stand?  What was WSC suspended for that has not been deeply transgressed by others, but more so? 

Your hate was revealed in your own posts in another thread and is ever present here.  But the more you attack and go on, the more pity I have for you.  You have to be hurting very badly to have so much venon.  You presume to know what goes on in the hearts and minds of people whom you have never met - be it gay leadership or me or whoever.

God is a God of great grace and mercy.  You will receive much grace from God.  I pray, as I have this evening, that you will find healing what whatever it is that causes your bitterness at life.

And I expect in return: more personal attacks, a series of the smileys, a few sets of initials (LMAO among others) and all the other denial and deflection methods that are yours.  Go ahead.  I will sleep very well tonight in a communion with my God that is at oneness and peace.  You will sleep with rage, anger, bitterness, spitting invectives.  But you are of all people most to be pitied and I ask others on here to regard you with compassion and mercy - even though you give none - for you above all need healing from the wrath that consumes you.

well i am sooorrry for talkin bout MJ

BMR, with all your deep and vast contacts with the gay community, you know what lies in the heart of every gay person and straight person who grieves and mourns over a young man beng beaten savagely, tied to a fence, and left to die.  You know that no one has any human emotion about this, that remembering Mathew Shepherd ios all a political ploy.

Jason, trying to turn cute and discuss Michael Jordan after the viciousness of the personal attacks doesn't cut it.  Ignoring the festering wound does not make it go away.  Jason, when do you take a stand?  What was WSC suspended for that has not been deeply transgressed by others, but more so? 

Your hate was revealed in your own posts in another thread and is ever present here.  But the more you attack and go on, the more pity I have for you.  You have to be hurting very badly to have so much venon.  You presume to know what goes on in the hearts and minds of people whom you have never met - be it gay leadership or me or whoever.

God is a God of great grace and mercy.  You will receive much grace from God.  I pray, as I have this evening, that you will find healing what whatever it is that causes your bitterness at life.

And I expect in return: more personal attacks, a series of the smileys, a few sets of initials (LMAO among others) and all the other denial and deflection methods that are yours.  Go ahead.  I will sleep very well tonight in a communion with my God that is at oneness and peace.  You will sleep with rage, anger, bitterness, spitting invectives.  But you are of all people most to be pitied and I ask others on here to regard you with compassion and mercy - even though you give none - for you above all need healing from the wrath that consumes you.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes,. yes vincy boy its okay for you, but not others, I get it LOL....................... :lol: Judge away bro............ :snr

post-5-1065561549.gif

Lol

In general I don't ever want to ban anyone. I'm trying my very best to keep a board where people can talk without getting attacked as well as giving people the opportunity to state their opinions, etc.

I don't condone what BMR said..but he later apologized for it. I hope what he says is true. I like BMR and he's very knowledgeable in many areas, I don't disagree with his views on all things, but I'm not going to prevent him from expressing them. That said, attacking a poster and accusing him of things isn't right, but I think BMR understands that.

As far as me bringing up Michael, I felt all parties mentoined things, I made a comment and things seemed to settled down. I was interested in knowing what BMR thought about the situation. Afterall I think most of us are Bulls fans.

Lol

In general I don't ever want to ban anyone.  I'm trying my very best to keep a board where people can talk without getting attacked as well as giving people the opportunity to state their opinions, etc.

I don't condone what BMR said..but he later apologized for it.  I hope what he says is true.  I like BMR and he's very knowledgeable in many areas, I don't disagree with his views on all things, but I'm not going to prevent him from expressing them.  That said, attacking a poster and accusing him of things isn't right, but I think BMR understands that

Sure I do, but Im afraid others do not..........but whatever. I'll "behave" for you Jason........because Youre a great guy. I get "attacked" all the time on this site, do you see me crying? :P

Everyone must be glad God is a forgiving person. You bring up that God is a forgiving person in a thread on homosexuality. I do agree with BMR on the fact that they rather over do they whole Matthew Shepherd thing, and why is one man's life worth more than another. Correct me if I am wrong, but is homosexual acts not against the Catholic religion? All I learned in my Catholic education was that it is. Homosexuality is not wrong, just the acts are. Shepherd had been intending to go perfrom acts. I in no way condone what happen to him, that is a very bad story. But, Shepherd, like all of us, was a sinner. Look at Sodom and Gamorah. I do believe that the extent homosexuality is being taken to now is wrong. I in no way feel same sex marriages should occur. If a person is a homosexual, fine, but do not act on it. I learned about all of the arguments on both side, and I have never understood how a homosexual is born like that. I also hate how people arguing the point always ask 'where you born straight.' I just find that ignorant.

If one of my friends came out and told me he or she was a homosexual, it honestly would take a little bit of time to get used to the fact. I know not a single homosexual person, atleast no one who has ever come out.

This is not the thread in which I wish to discuss this at length. This thread began as a tribute to Mathew Shepherd and has turned into more personal attacks.

But I feel real honesty and sincerity in your question and will answer here; if you wish to continue dialogue, another thread would be.

I am answering you as an ordained member of the clergy of Jesus Christ, with an MDiv degree and much further studies, and I say that not to brag but to tell you that I have depth in this issue.

Homosexuality is not against the Roman Catholic religion. The current status in Roman Catholic canon law and church teaching is that homosexuality is a natural thing that some people are, but that homosexual oral-genital sexual activity is sinful.

This belief is shared by some church bodies, not shared by others. Issues of sexuality are before a number of American church bodies, including the Lutherans, Presbyterians, and others. To speak to each church body would need to include their particular polity. For example, for the ELCA Lutherans (although not for LCMS Lutherans) being gay is not an issue for any layperson but the expectation of clergy is that if they are gay they will be celebate. That is currently under study in the ELCA. In the Methodist and Presbyterian churchs in the US, homosexuality is not an issue for laypeople but it is not allowable for clergy - and this continues to eb hotly debated, especially in the Presbyterian church.

Also at issue in the church bodies named above (with the exception of the LCMS) is the blessing of gay unions. Clergy are doing it nationwide. In some church bodies there is no stance on that. In others, for example the United Methodists, it is forbidden by the Book of Discipline but is widely done in some geographical parts of the church. Far more common in Chicago - where a pastor was acquited of violating church order for doing that - than in Montana, for example.

Blessings of gay unions has been done in the Episcopal Church on a diocese by diocese basis for a long time, and especially since the statement of Epsicopal bishops of I think 1995 but I could be a tad off on the year. Some dicoeses permit that and also ordain clergy who are gay; others do not. The majority do. Recently the Diocese of New Hampshire elected an openly gay priest as their bishop. The Episcopal Church in its assembly ratified that move by votes in the House of delegates and House of Bishops. There is some dissension amongst the minority to the move, but it very clearly was the discernment of the majority of the Episcopal Church do so. The Presiding Bishop of the EC as well as the Archbishop of Canterbury have been supportive, very much so. Not all Anglican church bodies internationally agree with the moves of the American EC.

In the US, several church bodies as well as Jewish faith groups (such as Reform Judaism) ordain gay clergy, bless gay unions, etc. The most well known US Church body is the United Church of Christ (the former Congregational church). Many of the small reformed church bodies (such as Church of the Bretheran) are right there. That is also true of many of the small Old Catholic (a separate group than Roman Catholic) church bodies. The Unitarian-Universalist Church is way out in front of everyone.

Looking globaly, the Canadian mainline protestant bodies are very inclusive, and the same is true in Europe. In Europe where gay civil unions are being passed into law, made legal, that has happened with the support of - or without the opposition of - many church bodies. The Reformed and the Old Catholic in Holland, the Lutherans in Scandanavia and the Lutherans, Evangelicals and Old Catholics of Germany have been very supportive.

The African and some of the Asia church bodies have been hostile. In the Anglican communion, there will be some confrontation on the issue. Within the Lutheran and Reformed world organizations, not an issue, each national church does as it sees fit.

Now for th Scriptures: trust me, I could go on for a long time on what the Scriptures say. I am Lutheran and for me the Scriptures are the source for the faith and life of the Church. Again, this is not the forum. Obviously given all the Christian churches and Jewsih faith groups that are supportive, it is not an issue for them because a real search of the Scriptures reveals that they say something very different than what it is assumed they say.

So I will point you to the story of Lot and Sodom and Gomorrah. That simply is not a story about homosexuality. It is about many things but not about homosexuality. Read the entire story in the Scriptures (and I won't tell you where it is, you have to find it). If the point of the story is the homosexuality is bad, then the other point of the story has to be that rape and murder of women is acceptable. Since I do not think that God is teaching that rape and murder of women is acceptable, I look again at the whole story. The entire story is a sound condemnation of acts of violence against strangers, against alien people, against other people, a strong condemnation of violence and injustice.

I support that as Biblical teaching by taking all the Sodom and Gomorroh referances in other books of the Scriptures, including Ezekiel, Jeremiah, Isaiah, et al. as well as in the sayings of Jesus. An in depth Scriptural study shows that for the people of God who wroite the Scriptures, sexual issues were not on their minds when they thought of Sodomn and Gomorrah. The violations of the Levitical and Deuternominc codes (coming later as they did) is in the acts of violence and injustice and oppression of the powerless - in which the act of rape is directed against any person of either gender as a form of oppression, but importantly, only one of many acts of injustice which brought the communities under judgment.

There is more to say, good friend, but this post is long enough and we can discuss this - if you are interested - elsewhere.

Your question was asked with integrity and I responded with integrity for you. God's blessings as you seek to deal with these issues in your thinking. Oh, and trust me, you do know gays and lesbians, they just haven't come out to you yet. Read again Mr Eye's poignant post at the beginning of this thread. Somewhere in your life, you have people who need a friend, who need to know that you will be their friend no matter what.

and cw you have no problem with eminem ripping on gay people and calling people f**s???

take eminem's lyrics at face value by what the media says or study them for what they do say -

and does eminem describe what is wrong with some people's attitudes and life as it is or is he advocating?

As a member of the clergy, my first response to Eminem was negative based on what the media reported. Then when I discovered so many of the people with whom I work were so much fans of Eminem, I began a systematic study of his lyrics and of the man himself. And I did a complete reversal of position for I find that is social commentator the way that Oliver Stone comments on society in "Natural Born Killers" or Bret Easton Ellis does in his books or Lenny Bruce and to some degree George Carlin did/do in the routines or Eminem in his songs.

And very clearly in Eminem's lyrics is much that would surprise people who take his work at face valueor know it only through the media. Actually, I like a great deal of what he has to say to those who really listen, and I am very comfortable with it, so much I have been to several of his concerts and taken my grandson.

Study his lyrics deeply and take it as artistic statements and it is an incredible insight into the violence that is wrong with America among other things and Em remains the only top 40 musical act that I am aware of who asks the question, why two guys can't get married, as in, why not? Surprised he said that? Most people are. It is there. I don;t do other people's homework. care enough and you will find it.

Em also took the opportunity in 8 Mile to say more. There are two definitve scenes in which Em rejects homophobia. It was a movie, some say, but it was his movie and he choose to ahve those scenes in there. Even more, those scenes are incredibly consistent with the Marshall Mathers ouevre.

Since this is a Mathew Shepherd thread, I feel very confident in saying that were Marshall Mathers present at that event, he would have beaten the s*** out of those who attacked Mathew Shepherd and protected/intervened on behalf of Mathew Shepherd.

I agree with bmr. Sheperds death was tragic. But it was no more tragic than any other violent death. I also agree that I dont think you guys care about his pain, you just want us to feel sorry for you, not for him. It aint workin. I feel sorry for Matthew Sheperd but not at all for anyother gays.

I agree with bmr. Sheperds death was tragic. But it was no more tragic than any other violent death. I also agree that I dont think you guys care about his pain, you just want us to feel sorry for you, not for him. It aint workin. I feel sorry for Matthew Sheperd but not at all for anyother gays.

AHhhhh the wonders of the internet. Everything settles down and along comes someone who wasnt around for the earlier fireworks....... :P

take eminem's lyrics at face value by what the media says or study them for what they do say -

and does eminem describe what is wrong with some people's attitudes and life as it is or is he advocating?

As a member of the clergy, my first response to Eminem was negative based on what the media reported.  Then when I discovered so many of the people with whom I work were so much fans of Eminem, I began a systematic study of his lyrics and of the man himself.  And I did a complete reversal of position for I find that is social commentator the way that Oliver Stone comments on society in "Natural Born Killers" or Bret Easton Ellis does in his books or Lenny Bruce and to some degree George Carlin did/do in the routines or Eminem in his songs.

And very clearly in Eminem's lyrics is much that would surprise people who take his work at face valueor know it only through the media.  Actually, I like a great deal of what he has to say to those who really listen, and I am very comfortable with it, so much I have been to several of his concerts and taken my grandson. 

Study his lyrics deeply and take it as artistic statements and it is an incredible insight into the violence that is wrong with America among other things and Em remains the only top 40 musical act that I am aware of who asks the question, why two guys can't get married, as in, why not? Surprised he said that?  Most people are.  It is there.  I don;t do other people's homework.  care enough and you will find it.

Em also took the opportunity in 8 Mile to say more.  There are two definitve scenes in which Em rejects homophobia.  It was a movie, some say, but it was his movie and he choose to ahve those scenes in there.  Even more, those scenes are incredibly consistent with the Marshall Mathers ouevre.

Since this is a Mathew Shepherd thread, I feel very confident in saying that were Marshall Mathers present at that event, he would have beaten the s*** out of those who attacked Mathew Shepherd and protected/intervened on behalf of Mathew Shepherd.

i think I got what your sayin, bro... kinda post-5-1065561549.gif

As a member of the clergy, my first response to Eminem was negative based on what the media reported.  Then when I discovered so many of the people with whom I work were so much fans of Eminem, I began a systematic study of his lyrics and of the man himself.  And I did a complete reversal of position for I find that is social commentator the way that Oliver Stone comments on society in "Natural Born Killers" or Bret Easton Ellis does in his books or Lenny Bruce and to some degree George Carlin did/do in the routines or Eminem in his songs.

And very clearly in Eminem's lyrics is much that would surprise people who take his work at face valueor know it only through the media.  Actually, I like a great deal of what he has to say to those who really listen, and I am very comfortable with it, so much I have been to several of his concerts and taken my grandson. 

Study his lyrics deeply and take it as artistic statements and it is an incredible insight into the violence that is wrong with America among other things and Em remains the only top 40 musical act that I am aware of who asks the question, why two guys can't get married, as in, why not? Surprised he said that?  Most people are.  It is there.  I don;t do other people's homework.  care enough and you will find it.

Em also took the opportunity in 8 Mile to say more.  There are two definitve scenes in which Em rejects homophobia.  It was a movie, some say, but it was his movie and he choose to ahve those scenes in there.  Even more, those scenes are incredibly consistent with the Marshall Mathers ouevre.

CW come on man. He said those things for the very same reason he sang a duet with Elton. He was trying to save face so that he could sell more records. I do not know his true feelings on any subject because hes a total hypocrite. Although I must admit, hes talented and better than most musical acts today.

Youre so f***in' naive! Its incredible. Get it thru your skull. There are gay haters out there. Im proudly one. And there are many more much worse than me. Eminem is a gay hater. Get a clue!

Youre so f***in' naive! Its incredible. Get it thru your skull. There are gay haters out there. Im proudly one. And there are many more much worse than me. Eminem is a gay hater. Get a clue!

Marshall Mathers is not a hater, psycho, not a hater. I have cause to know.

You are a hater. That is incredibly sad.

Marshall Mathers is not a hater, psycho, not a hater.  I have cause to know.

You are a hater.  That is incredibly sad.

I dunno man....I heard just as bad from EM, and MILLIONS look up to him....I think thats MUCH worse than roman.........

Guest hotsoxchick1

no marshall isnt a hater.. hes a jerry springer show waiting to happen.... he just chose to air his dirty laundry in music form, instead of on the tv screene....... ;)

I do not know his true feelings on any subject

no, you don't know.

So you assume motives as if you have windows to look into his soul, to "know" what goes on in the lives of people you do not know.

I have reasons to know his motives and his feelings.

I rest comfortable with what Em has to say, what he really says, what he is really about.

You don't want to accept that about Em, then don't.

Free country.

My free country right to explore his works and him as a person and use contacts that I have (I know my way around the Detroit legal and music scenes) to find out more.

I rest comfortable with what Em has to say, what he really says, what he is really about. That's why I took my grandson to see him and we can't wait until the next concert tour!

no, you don't know.

So you assume motives as if you have windows to look into his soul, to "know" what goes on in the lives of people you do not know.

I have reasons to know his motives and his feelings.

I rest comfortable with what Em has to say, what he really says, what he is really about.

You don't want to accept that about Em, then don't.

Free country.

My free country right to explore his works and him as a person and use contacts that I have (I know my way around the Detroit legal and music scenes) to find out more. 

I rest comfortable with what Em has to say, what he really says, what he is really about.  That's why I took my grandson to see him and we can't wait until the next concert tour!

Hey if you dont have a problem with what he says then I dont. My question is why is what EM says okay and not Roman? :huh: