2019-2020 Official NBA Thread

Just looks like they are remaking the try hards that ultimately get bounced in the first or second round by a team with superstars.   Bubububut two years from now flexibility to add superstar!

rinse repeat

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Just looks like they are remaking the try hards that ultimately get bounced in the first or second round by a team with superstars.   Bubububut two years from now flexibility to add superstar!

rinse repeat

Bingo.

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

And much like the Sox signing a superstar like Machado or Harper, it didn’t happen, even when the money was available.  Coming up short seems to be a running theme for Reinsdorf owned teams.

I mean, I know you like to moan all the time but in this case the money literally wasn't available. I just explained it.

They've botched it every opportunity since then, but you asked and I gave you when they were close.

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

I mean, I know you like to moan all the time but in this case the money literally wasn't available. I just explained it.

They've botched it every opportunity since then, but you asked and I gave you when they were close.

Good front offices find ways to get shit done 

bad front offices don't even try

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

rinse repeat

I like just adding good basketball players on reasonable deals rather than Jabari Parker. I do like that!

What I don't like is throwing in the towel on one of the best free agent classes of the decade in February, when what we thought would happen in february has been completely turned on its head. 

While the knicks are lol because of trading a star at a crappy price in expectation of signing two and striking out, at least they expected to be players. John Paxson has aspirations of being the indiana pacers. 

I hate the lakers, but I liked how they just said "fuck it we're the lakers just get us stars". 

Nets/Clips both committed to player development, wise ownership, and then flexed that they were the place to be.

But we have spirit, yes we do, we have spirit.

Anyway I'd go all in on decent vets, lean in on player dev, look at Jared Dudley for the exception. 

Or Nwaba.

56 minutes ago, bmags said:

Please please don't let Kawhi sign with the lakers. This is shaping up to be one of the most interesting nba seasons ever, the lakers don't deserve to fall ass backwards into a championship.

This would be devastating after their title run and how the last couple of days shaped up.  

6 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yep, and Paxson basically admitted after the Otto Porter acquisition that they traded for him because they didn’t see themselves as players in this free agency period.  Sad.

At this point, we need to hope the Bulls go the way of the Nets.  Create a winning culture building from ground up (GarPax is  bad but they've done it before) and then space is created when Porter's contract is done.  The Bulls have plenty of talent, they need to show they could make some noise the next two years, the 2021 class could also be very solid.  

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Please please don't let Kawhi sign with the lakers. This is shaping up to be one of the most interesting nba seasons ever, the lakers don't deserve to fall ass backwards into a championship.

They are the worst ran franchise in the NBA (well maybe not quite but close to it) and they are probably going to luck into one of the best teams in NBA history (on paper).  

I agree that it would be a big negative for the NBA if Kawhi goes to the Lakers. For once there could be no major favorite to win the title going into the season, but Kawhi to LA would change that

34 minutes ago, Chi Town Sox said:

At this point, we need to hope the Bulls go the way of the Nets.  Create a winning culture building from ground up (GarPax is  bad but they've done it before) and then space is created when Porter's contract is done.  The Bulls have plenty of talent, they need to show they could make some noise the next two years, the 2021 class could also be very solid.  

That is literally what the Bulls seem to be doing. Plus, let me know what other 22ish win team landed a bunch of superstars?  Maybe they should have pretended like the Knicks and failed miserably but I think the Bulls were realistic. They will have 2 max spots and plenty of guys who can get moved if another player becomes unhappy in the next year or two. 

The reality is they need to get back to being a playoff team or at least get close to being one (so people view them more as an upstart with a chance)...than, better things will happen.  I don't know whether this front office will be able to connect the dots this time on a championship team, but I do have a lot of faith in terms of them finding enough young assets, vets, etc to turn them into a playoff team with a bright future which will at least enable them to market/try.  

Signing any of the guys that got big money deals this off-season would have been no bueno. Basically it would have locked this team into the team they are.  Since the trade deadline, they have added 3 two way players who are versatile in Porter, Thaddeus, and Santy.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jake said:

I agree that it would be a big negative for the NBA if Kawhi goes to the Lakers. For once there could be no major favorite to win the title going into the season, but Kawhi to LA would change that

This is genuinely shaping up to be one of the most fun (on paper) seasons in a long time.

DON'T LET LEBRON RUIN IT.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I like just adding good basketball players on reasonable deals rather than Jabari Parker. I do like that!

What I don't like is throwing in the towel on one of the best free agent classes of the decade in February, when what we thought would happen in february has been completely turned on its head. 

While the knicks are lol because of trading a star at a crappy price in expectation of signing two and striking out, at least they expected to be players. John Paxson has aspirations of being the indiana pacers. 

I hate the lakers, but I liked how they just said "fuck it we're the lakers just get us stars". 

Nets/Clips both committed to player development, wise ownership, and then flexed that they were the place to be.

But we have spirit, yes we do, we have spirit.

Anyway I'd go all in on decent vets, lean in on player dev, look at Jared Dudley for the exception. 

Or Nwaba.

The Clippers are a Kwahi away from having a Knicks like off-season. Epicly bad.  It goes to show you, no matter how good your front office, you might just not execute, despite the best laid plans.  Counterpoint is the Lakers who couldn't be a bigger dumpster fire, but they had Lebron (who literally went there purely so he could be in hollywood) and he and his people were able to get AD (who literally forced a deal there) and now they are about to land the biggest big 3 in the history of basketball.   

13 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

The Clippers are a Kwahi away from having a Knicks like off-season. Epicly bad.  It goes to show you, no matter how good your front office, you might just not execute, despite the best laid plans.  Counterpoint is the Lakers who couldn't be a bigger dumpster fire, but they had Lebron (who literally went there purely so he could be in hollywood) and he and his people were able to get AD (who literally forced a deal there) and now they are about to land the biggest big 3 in the history of basketball.   

I mean I still take the Heatles over what this would be.

Villain LeBron >>>> Old LeBron

Prime Wade = Kawhi

Bosh <<< AD

17 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This is crazy. The clips just made the playoffs, have resources galore, and didn't just sign three redundant power forwards to 80 million dollars. The tobias harris trade set them up to pounce at any point in next few years. They have the coach of a year, a great front office, and a bunch of smart assets any team would want, and space. 

But the clippers rebuilt themselves unbelievably fast after their rebuild and without any top picks. The nets did the same without any picks. You keep saying the bulls will be players with 2 maxes in a few years, but they will extend markannen next year, likely, and they have already hinted that they will not go over tax. They will not play the sequencing games everyone else played. 

And please do not say the bulls are doing the nets model. The nets seemingly turned every player into the best version of themselves, including Dangelo russel and spencer dinwiddie. Turning Joe Harris into Joe Harris.

The bulls traded for cam payne and kris dunn. They guaranteed Antonio Blakeney for 2 years for some reason. They signed Jabari Parker and then forced him to sit on the bench and not look at anyone. Aside from their string of first rounders, there has not been a meaningful bench player created by the past few years.

The bulls have assets but all ones that you'd hope would be in addition to a star. If you needed to trade for one, you'd have lavine ... carter...white...okay...so you have the star and markannen and who else? 

And it's okay, maybe White makes a leap, and lauri stays healthy and the team does get a big. But they aren't really in a great position to land a star and be loaded without trading the players you'd hope still surround them.

24 minutes ago, Quin said:

I mean I still take the Heatles over what this would be.

Villain LeBron >>>> Old LeBron

Prime Wade = Kawhi

Bosh <<< AD

Kawhi is so much better than 2011/12/13 Wade.

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is crazy. The clips just made the playoffs, have resources galore, and didn't just sign three redundant power forwards to 80 million dollars. The tobias harris trade set them up to pounce at any point in next few years. They have the coach of a year, a great front office, and a bunch of smart assets any team would want, and space. 

But the clippers rebuilt themselves unbelievably fast after their rebuild and without any top picks. The nets did the same without any picks. You keep saying the bulls will be players with 2 maxes in a few years, but they will extend markannen next year, likely, and they have already hinted that they will not go over tax. They will not play the sequencing games everyone else played. 

And please do not say the bulls are doing the nets model. The nets seemingly turned every player into the best version of themselves, including Dangelo russel and spencer dinwiddie. Turning Joe Harris into Joe Harris.

The bulls traded for cam payne and kris dunn. They guaranteed Antonio Blakeney for 2 years for some reason. They signed Jabari Parker and then forced him to sit on the bench and not look at anyone. Aside from their string of first rounders, there has not been a meaningful bench player created by the past few years.

The bulls have assets but all ones that you'd hope would be in addition to a star. If you needed to trade for one, you'd have lavine ... carter...white...okay...so you have the star and markannen and who else? 

And it's okay, maybe White makes a leap, and lauri stays healthy and the team does get a big. But they aren't really in a great position to land a star and be loaded without trading the players you'd hope still surround them.

Everything I have read and heard from insiders is Bulls heavily plan on having 2 max spots available. Doesn't mean they go that full path, but if they committed right now on some of these mediocre guys who got big deals, they were basically saying their ceiling is this current roster and I think that is too early to tell.

On the Clips...they had a heck of a season, but people overrate them and their current talent drastically. Kwahi is having hesitations because he understands that roster has major limitations when it comes to having an extended post-season run. They grinded it out like nobodies business in the regular season but they are completely devoid of high-upside talent.  Nets were actually very similar to the Clippers in that regard and I give them credit for getting those max guys but they come with major risk. I don't believe the Nets will win a title with KD.  

The Bulls turned Jabari & Portis into Otto Porter Jr. and while that might be luck or whatever, I don't have an issue with that at all...in fact, it makes the Jabari signing look favorable in my camp.  The reality is we'll know much more about this franchise during this upcoming season, Lauri will be in yr 3 and will need to show enough to say he is worthy of being a max type guy. Lavine will be coming off a very strong season where he showed a lot of growth, with a full off-season where he can hopefully continue his steps forward. WCJ is an incomplete and we don't know what we have in White.  

By the way...funny that people are now defending teams that didn't blow it up. Hasn't that been my MO forever...tanking is not the only path to success, etc.  I think the Bulls have learned and you need to first get good before you become great (unless you have a superstar who literally wants to beg and plea to play with you (see Lebron to Hollywood and even than they could have paired up, etc.).  

And in terms of Mark and an extension, I think if Mark isn't looking as much as the guy or the Bulls have doubts, you might see them package Lauri elsehwere to extend the window.  I think this team will be much more interesting to watch and outside of my swing big off-season where they landed KD or AD (or had the lottery ball magic work out), this was about exactly what I thought the squad needed.  Vet PG at a reasonable deal who is a good presence plus a vet big.  I expect we'll see them land one other vet big on the MLE.  

Note: I do not believe the Bulls won't pay the tax. If they have a good team, they'll pay the tax. They won't pay the tax for a mediocre team nor should they as that would mean they are in a bad situation (with bad contracts galore).  

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

Kawhi is so much better than 2011/12/13 Wade.

This...young LBJ was better, but AD and Kwahi are much better than Wade & Bosh at that time.  Plus that team didn't have anyone near as good as Kuzma to go with them, imo.  

45 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Everything I have read and heard from insiders is Bulls heavily plan on having 2 max spots available. Doesn't mean they go that full path, but if they committed right now on some of these mediocre guys who got big deals, they were basically saying their ceiling is this current roster and I think that is too early to tell.

On the Clips...they had a heck of a season, but people overrate them and their current talent drastically. Kwahi is having hesitations because he understands that roster has major limitations when it comes to having an extended post-season run. They grinded it out like nobodies business in the regular season but they are completely devoid of high-upside talent.  Nets were actually very similar to the Clippers in that regard and I give them credit for getting those max guys but they come with major risk. I don't believe the Nets will win a title with KD.  

The Bulls turned Jabari & Portis into Otto Porter Jr. and while that might be luck or whatever, I don't have an issue with that at all...in fact, it makes the Jabari signing look favorable in my camp.  The reality is we'll know much more about this franchise during this upcoming season, Lauri will be in yr 3 and will need to show enough to say he is worthy of being a max type guy. Lavine will be coming off a very strong season where he showed a lot of growth, with a full off-season where he can hopefully continue his steps forward. WCJ is an incomplete and we don't know what we have in White.  

By the way...funny that people are now defending teams that didn't blow it up. Hasn't that been my MO forever...tanking is not the only path to success, etc.  I think the Bulls have learned and you need to first get good before you become great (unless you have a superstar who literally wants to beg and plea to play with you (see Lebron to Hollywood and even than they could have paired up, etc.).  

And in terms of Mark and an extension, I think if Mark isn't looking as much as the guy or the Bulls have doubts, you might see them package Lauri elsehwere to extend the window.  I think this team will be much more interesting to watch and outside of my swing big off-season where they landed KD or AD (or had the lottery ball magic work out), this was about exactly what I thought the squad needed.  Vet PG at a reasonable deal who is a good presence plus a vet big.  I expect we'll see them land one other vet big on the MLE.  

Note: I do not believe the Bulls won't pay the tax. If they have a good team, they'll pay the tax. They won't pay the tax for a mediocre team nor should they as that would mean they are in a bad situation (with bad contracts galore).  

I specifically wanted the bulls to get good veterans last year and was skeptical of Parker because they had so many dumb basketball IQ players that could stunt the development of Markannen and Carter (blakeney, parker and lavine together on a team was as bad as you'd expect). This year is a turn on that as I think players like Young and Sato will be very helpful in developing markanen, carter and white as we saw with Porter. 

It's also why I liked Otto Porter when he was acquired. But we didn't need Parker to acquire him, we signed parker a week or two into free agency. The reason Porter was available was because of money, we absorbed all of it while giving little back. We could have done that with whomever else we signed that late into the year.

And I'm glad they've pivoted to signing high IQ, well rounded vets to support their young players in a rebuild. But you have talked about how we'll always be able to make the big acquisition splash two years down the line. Then it's two more years. And it's always acceptable they wait. 

The bulls will always wait because they don't want to play the games, and don't fight for players to come there, and instead give up immediately and say "oh well we'll just wait for the next guy" which is what happens when you have a job for life.