Offseason Moves - Grade em'

BackDoorBreach

I haven’t posted in a while, so this is a fun diversion.

Abreu extension: D+

I’d give it a B-  were it a 1 year extension.  But this clogs things up.  I’m all for avoiding “bad” clubhouse guys, but not big on players because they are “good” in the clubhouse.

Grandal signing: A-

He’s an excellent player; I just think that we had a good catcher, and 2 young catchers behind him.

Mazara trade: B

I go against the grain on this one. I give this a C+ for the player and an A for the execution.  He’s a flawed player, but they needed a RF and the Sox like this guy.  Second, the price was reasonable. Third, one thing that happens to rebuilders is that they start log-jamming prospects. This allowed the Sox to thin out the prospect ranks in an area where they had a lot of similar prospects.  Fourth, there really weren’t a lot of alternatives in the FA market.  The 2 big FA were flawed players that required long term commitments. 

Keuchel signing: B

They missed out on the guy they really needed/wanted, but after that, Keuchel is about the best they could have done.  There’s a risk that he rapidly declines, but Sox are pretty good with lefties.

Gio G signing: C+

He’s fine for a 5th starter.

EE signing: C

I think the Sox could have filled this internally and there’s a big chance he declines rapidly.

Luis Robert et al extension: A+

I assign this grade to each of the young player extensions. (okay Bummer’s was unnecessary, but that’s subsumed by the rest of them).   It’s what the Sox FO does best.

Cishek signing: C+

He’s okay.   Sox needed a bullpen arm.

Overall: B

They didn’t address 2B, which I guess means that they think Madrigal is coming in late spring or early summer. I would have liked to see some creative trades, although the Sox didn't have a lot of tangible players or even prospects that they could logically trade to trade (McCann the exception).