German Marquez Thread

59 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I'd have np trading Crochet + Vaughn for Marquez and going out and signing a DH like Cruz or much more preferably Ozuna. 

I think that would be stupid. That would make the sox better in 2021 but the Sox really have to think about the next 5 years and those moves would cost a lot of money that would be missing for resigning giolito or extending other guys.

The sox really need to maximize the next 5 years and trading away cost controlled almost mlb ready performers is probably not the smartest way, especially considering the limited budget the sox are likely going to have (the payroll will increase but probably not past like 10th to 12th in mlb or so).

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think that would be stupid. That would make the sox better in 2021 but the Sox really have to think about the next 5 years and those moves would cost a lot of money that would be missing for resigning giolito or extending other guys.

The sox really need to maximize the next 5 years and trading away cost controlled almost mlb ready performers is probably not the smartest way, especially considering the limited budget the sox are likely going to have (the payroll will increase but probably not past like 10th to 12th in mlb or so).

Well we are already did that once this off-season so at least consistency would make some sense if they were actually trying to win a title this year, lol.

6 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Well we are already did that once this off-season so at least consistency would make some sense if they were actually trying to win a title this year, lol.

So should they trade away every cost controlled player? You have to find a happy medium between creating the strongest team for this year and keeping enough bullets for the years after that.

Once you compete every year is big and you need to maximize it because you got 5-6 years at best usually but if you maximize the first 2 years and then run out of steam you need to be very lucky to win it right away.

16 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

So should they trade away every cost controlled player? You have to find a happy medium between creating the strongest team for this year and keeping enough bullets for the years after that.

Once you compete every year is big and you need to maximize it because you got 5-6 years at best usually but if you maximize the first 2 years and then run out of steam you need to be very lucky to win it right away.

I'm only being semi-serious.

18 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

If they are trading away those cost controlled players and taking on salary, then they should at least have enough money to fill out the other key spots on their roster. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If they are trading away those cost controlled players and taking on salary, then they should at least have enough money to fill out the other key spots on their roster. 

Yeah but the roster is also getting more expensive once players hit arb, so some buffer probably will be a good thing.

2 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Yeah but the roster is also getting more expensive once players hit arb, so some buffer probably will be a good thing.

So they shouldn’t have traded the cost controlled starter for the guy under control for 1 year and spent 1/3 of the money they had available in the process when depth was their biggest need and they gave that away? I agree, that was pretty darn stupid.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The problem is you’re buying Ozuna really high...if you look at his last five or six seasons, he hasn’t been tremendously consistent.  Can we really afford to sink $15 million into a bat-first player?

You are 100% right and bring up concerning questions, but as a DH you really only need him to be bat-first... in the other threads I was told that Eloy is going to be our LF for the next 2-3+ years so if we have the DH spot open Ozuna is one of, if not the very best to fill it.

From my understanding, his underlying stats are all monsterous and he should be a very sure bet to hit well for the next 3+ years. 

In any case, this is all just wishful thinking anyway... Ah to dream... 

6 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

You are 100% right and bring up concerning questions, but as a DH you really only need him to be bat-first... in the other threads I was told that Eloy is going to be our LF for the next 2-3+ years so if we have the DH spot open Ozuna is one of, if not the very best to fill it.

From my understanding, his underlying stats are all monsterous and he should be a very sure bet to hit well for the next 3+ years. 

In any case, this is all just wishful thinking anyway... Ah to dream... 

Well, it has happened four times within a decade that we’ve added premiere players (at their positions) as free agents...Dunn, Robertson, Grandal and Hendriks.   We could be charitable and add Abreu, so that’s 5 in the span of 13 years.

9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

So they shouldn’t have traded the cost controlled starter for the guy under control for 1 year and spent 1/3 of the money they had available in the process when depth was their biggest need and they gave that away? I agree, that was pretty darn stupid.

The difference that vaughn and crochet also have the upside to be 3.5 war players while dunning is more considered like an average guy for the back of the rotation so it was consolidating depth for upside.

The viability of this move obviously depends on how the sox pitching prospects are developing. The dunning move was banking on that behind him higher upside players like kopech, crochet, cease need some more time to develope but will eventually overtake him and make him the 6th guy and thus somewhat expendable.

Now obviously if those guys all fail it could turn into a bad move but obviously we hope at least one of them becomes a regular, reliable starter and hopefully more than 1.