Managing pitcher's innings for the playoffs

ron883

Obviously after the shortened season last year, this will be an issue for all teams. However, the Sox have 2 very important pitchers that have very few innings pitched the last 2 years - Rodon and Kopech. Rodon will definitely be needed as a starter. Kopech may have to start as well. On top of Rodon limited innings pitched recently, he is a FA next year and has Boras as an agent. Boras made a stink about Matt Harvey's innings pitched after his TJS. 

How will the Sox limit their innings to ensure they are able to pitch successfully in the playoffs? Kopech is an easier case, since he is primarily in the bullpen. Rodon is needed in the starting rotation during the regular season. It will be harder to limit his innings. Do they skip some start with him? Do they just say F it and use and abuse his arm? 

Edited by ron883

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Obviously after the shortened season last year, this will be an issue for all teams. However, the Sox have 2 very important pitchers that have very few innings pitched the last 2 years - Rodon and Kopech. Rodon will definitely be needed as a starter. Kopech may have to start as well. On top of Rodon limited innings pitched recently, he is a FA next year and has Boras as an agent. Boras made a stink about Matt Harvey's innings pitched after his TJS. 

How will the Sox limit their innings to ensure they are able to pitch successfully in the playoffs? Kopech is an easier case, since he is primarily in the bullpen. Rodon is needed in the starting rotation during the regular season. It will be harder to limit his innings. Do they skip some start with him? Do they just say F it and use and abuse his arm? 

As I said in a different thread, I think they planned on moving Kopech into Rodon's spot. If Rodon keeps it up, who knows.

Just now, ptatc said:

As I said in a different thread, I think they planned on moving Kopech into Rodon's spot. If Rodon keeps it up, who knows.

Do you think they will need to limit Rodon's innings based on how few he has picked the past 2 years combined? It seems like they'll have to. Maybe we get some spot start by Lambert when healthy... Who knows.

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Do you think they will need to limit Rodon's innings based on how few he has picked the past 2 years combined? It seems like they'll have to. Maybe we get some spot start by Lambert when healthy... Who knows.

They are going to manage nearly everyone's innings. If you have 1,600 IP (includes potential post season);

(Starters 1,050): 190 Giolito + 190 Lynn + 170 Keuchel + 150 Cease +  150 Rodon + 130 Kopech + 70 Lopez/Other

(Relievers 550): 75 Hendriks + 70 Heuer + 70 Bummer + 60 Marshall + 60 Crochet +  60 Ruiz + 60 Foster + 95 Callups/Fry/Aquisition(s)

Kopech and Crochet likely have hard limits, tried to be conservative with their IP estimates. I really like the idea of a six man rotation for 6-8 weeks to give everyone some rest due to the uniqueness of bouncing back from the short year. Health obviously is the major wildcard, going in you figure at least a few 10 stints as a bare minimum each season across the rotation,

If you "must" go with 10-20 IP from position players, I don't want Yermin pitching anymore, should only be backups. If Tony loves Leury so much, let him pitch twice a month. I believe someone stated on the Score today position players have a 1.00 ERA after 60 IP this season. Sounds like many teams are embracing position players soft tossing late in blowouts to save the bullpen.

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

I don't believe Rodon is under WS control after this year.  Every effort is probably being made to extend him as we speak.  If no extension can be reached...I would imagine they will ride him hard and put him away wet.  Possibly a trade when Kopech is deemed ready to go.  I'm hoping for the extension but with Boris as his agent...anyone's guess.

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I don't believe Rodon is under WS control after this year.  Every effort is probably being made to extend him as we speak.  If no extension can be reached...I would imagine they will ride him hard and put him away wet.  Possibly a trade when Kopech is deemed ready to go.  I'm hoping for the extension but with Boris as his agent...anyone's guess.

If you could get 1 guy to extend for 2 years, who would you pick between Rodon and Lynn?

1 minute ago, wegner said:

If you could get 1 guy to extend for 2 years, who would you pick between Rodon and Lynn?

I want both but I would pick Rodon if I had that limitation.  His work this year has been Ace-worthy.  Also, we've put so much into Carlos I can't help to want to retrieve some of our equity.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

I want both but I would pick Rodon if I had that limitation.  His work this year has been Ace-worthy.  Also, we've put so much into Carlos I can't help to want to retrieve some of our equity.

I see your point but Lynn might be the safer bet.

1 minute ago, wegner said:

I see your point but Lynn might be the safer bet.

They both look like safe bets IMO.  I can't remember a pitcher coming back from serious arm surgeries and looking this good.  Rodon and Mercedes have been like found money.

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

They both look like safe bets IMO.  I can't remember a pitcher coming back from serious arm surgeries and looking this good.  Rodon and Mercedes have been like found money.

Carlos and Yermin have been such terrific stories this young season.

8 hours ago, poppysox said:

I wouldn't say serious surgeries.  His shoulder was a bursa resection. Nothing to do with the cuff or structural stability. We get about 85% of UCL reconstructions back to prior level of pitching.  Don't get me wrong it's impressive to come back from 2 surgeries but neither would make you think he didn't have a real good chance.

The results have been good but I wouldn't give him the money based on his performance history.

12 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They are going to manage nearly everyone's innings. If you have 1,600 IP (includes potential post season);

(Starters 1,050): 190 Giolito + 190 Lynn + 170 Keuchel + 150 Cease +  150 Rodon + 130 Kopech + 70 Lopez/Other

(Relievers 550): 75 Hendriks + 70 Heuer + 70 Bummer + 60 Marshall + 60 Crochet +  60 Ruiz + 60 Foster + 95 Callups/Fry/Aquisition(s)

Kopech and Crochet likely have hard limits, tried to be conservative with their IP estimates. I really like the idea of a six man rotation for 6-8 weeks to give everyone some rest due to the uniqueness of bouncing back from the short year. Health obviously is the major wildcard, going in you figure at least a few 10 stints as a bare minimum each season across the rotation,

If you "must" go with 10-20 IP from position players, I don't want Yermin pitching anymore, should only be backups. If Tony loves Leury so much, let him pitch twice a month. I believe someone stated on the Score today position players have a 1.00 ERA after 60 IP this season. Sounds like many teams are embracing position players soft tossing late in blowouts to save the bullpen.

Feels like Heuer is already almost there

• Like 1