7/29 Games

BamaDoc

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/stats/affiliates?teamId=145&date=07/29/2021

https://www.milb.com/scores/chicago-white-sox/2021-07-29

Lots of games today.  I was going to note this may be the last we see several names in our box scores either via trades or new draftees causing other guys release.  I try to remember the human side and that for some it is a new opportunity and others it is the end of their dream.  Good luck Conner except against the Sox!

• Like 1

The Sox have so little pitching in the minors. McClure was okay, didn't have much luck tonight. Otherwise, it's just a gasoline brigade of no-name innings eaters there to protect the few arms we have who didn't get to their innings limits last year.  It's amazing we were able to find 2 pitchers to actually trade.  Decent night for some of the prospects -- Ramos and Rodriguez have two hits each to add to the 2 hits by Sosa and Cespedes.  Alex Destino is ultra hot right now. Too bad he's a 25 year-old in A ball.

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

Mercedes with another bomb

His 8th in about 85 AB's. Too bad he lost it for a while and hurt himself in the process. I don't know what his support group around him  told him. Could be a  bunch of hangers on telling him stupid stuff but anyone with any real knowledge should've been there to try to explain to him that acting emotionally or erratically will only hurt him and destroy any chance of getting back into the game at the MLB level.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

re: Cespedes

It's hard to keep in mind how long a layoff this guy had. He is showing more of the power than he ever did in Cuba, so that's good scouting.

But for me to really care, eventually he'll need to really tear shit up. He's doing fine in W-S. Maybe considering the layoff, he's great. But considering the scouting reports are much more meh from James Fox and Fangraphs than what we may have expected when he first signed, and the fact that he's 23 in A+, I just want to see him really dominate one of his levels before I think "he's a piece that could be a future RFer".

But in his last year in Cuba he had a 70 ISO. So far, he has a 189 ISO in WS. So the power gains seem real.

But he is striking out 30% of the time and has a 45 to 4 walk to K ratio. His OBP looks better because he's been hit 8 times!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Timmy U said:

The Sox have so little pitching in the minors. McClure was okay, didn't have much luck tonight. Otherwise, it's just a gasoline brigade of no-name innings eaters there to protect the few arms we have who didn't get to their innings limits last year.  It's amazing we were able to find 2 pitchers to actually trade.  Decent night for some of the prospects -- Ramos and Rodriguez have two hits each to add to the 2 hits by Sosa and Cespedes.  Alex Destino is ultra hot right now. Too bad he's a 25 year-old in A ball.

Fortunately they have a ton at the MLB level: Giol, Lynn, Kopech, Cease, and Rodon for now...Stiever, Lambert in AAA and Thompson, Dalquist, Kelly, Vera in the system

Hurt to see Pilkington go, but can absolutely afford it

39 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Fortunately they have a ton at the MLB level: Giol, Lynn, Kopech, Cease, and Rodon for now...Stiever, Lambert in AAA and Thompson, Dalquist, Kelly, Vera in the system

Hurt to see Pilkington go, but can absolutely afford it

My point is that you would like to have depth. Rodón clearly needs a breather. Maybe Cease too. But if you gave spot starts to Lambert or Stiever, they would get killed.  Despite being older prospects, McClure and Bilous aren’t ready either. Thompson, Kelley, and Dalquist have all struggled as well. Nothing to do with Pilkington or Horn. I’m just saying that Sox pitching depth is precariously thin. It might really cost them.

Every team in the league had to deal with it but for where they were in the process the sox losing 55 draft picks from what they may have been expecting in 2019 seems to really taken a toll on their low level pitching especially.