Law Top 100

GreenSox

42 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Law has his White Sox Top 20 prospects up and running

Choice bits. I'd add we've talked about a lot of these and why this forum is great:

Colson Montgomery:

He had a great pro debut in the ACL, hitting .287/.396/.362 with just an 18 percent strikeout rate, and if he continues to show this kind of approach in Low A next year it will dispel most of those concerns about whether he’ll hit.

Wes Kath:

If you go off swings, you’d take Kath, but Montgomery performed better and offers more athleticism.

Both ranked above Oscar Colas:

He’s an average runner who’ll play a corner, and had just a 6 percent walk rate playing in NPB, both of which put some cap on his ceiling, but he also has 30-homer potential and should hit for a high batting average even if his OBP is only around the median or just below it.

A very nice write-up on Romy:

He looks like a soft regular for a team without a strong shortstop, or great multi-position utility guy on a contender.

Overall, I think this was an encouraging write-up. I'll maintain what I said in the other thread, I think our International strategy is poor when we don't have the amount of draft picks smaller teams do AND while Shirley is going big on a smaller number of targets. 

BUT - a lot of these guys in this write-up do have good potential but basically nobody on this list save Popeye and Romy did much to earn any sort of praise last year.

FWIW the write-up on Vera was great, I just don't think Law has anything to go on yet.

• Thanks 1

I thought that the Colson Montgomery and Oscar Colas write-ups were very promising. In regards to Jared Kelley, the conditioning issues are on him. The Sox PD staff really messed him up though with too many changes. He's healthy and just needs to throw. Those prep arms were hurt a ton by the horrendous defense in Low-A. Everyone is too low on Vera. I've heard he'd like 6-6 205-210 right now and his stuff has ticked up big time. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I thought that the Colson Montgomery and Oscar Colas write-ups were very promising. In regards to Jared Kelley, the conditioning issues are on him. The Sox PD staff really messed him up though with too many changes. He's healthy and just needs to throw. Those prep arms were hurt a ton by the horrendous defense in Low-A. Everyone is too low on Vera. I've heard he'd like 6-6 205-210 right now and his stuff has ticked up big time. 

I feel like for sox prospects we very rarely get info outside of affiliate ball, sometimes BA gets some backfield stuff.

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I keep saying it, but I feel like if we have a top prospect with a star ceiling in our system, it is him.  For him to go to the DR last year and hit 100 AND not walk people, that is huge.  I know you can only get so much from his stats down there, but the walks were the big eye catcher for me.  EVERYONE walks people down there.

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I keep saying it, but I feel like if we have a top prospect with a star ceiling in our system, it is him.  For him to go to the DR last year and hit 100 AND not walk people, that is huge.  I know you can only get so much from his stats down there, but the walks were the big eye catcher for me.  EVERYONE walks people down there.

I always find the DR so funny because all the pitchers are walking like 10 batters a game yet all the batters have like 2% walk rates.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Not as dismal an eval as I would have expected for the #30 farm.
I remember the write-up the Angels as a #30, and I think I  would have needed an IV had that been the Sox.

I agree GreenSox.  It's not like our top twenty is filled with a bunch of diminishing  prospects.  8 of our top ten are 21 or younger...and the top "old guys" would be Cespedes who is really in his first year in US, during COVID and is way to early to give up on, and Burger who made huge leap forward after his injuries.    In fact if the analysis were not "top farm systems" but it was "rank organizational talent age 22-27" and then "rank organizational talent 18-21" I think we might be #1 in the first and top ten in the second. When building a championship window you need that second wave to hit in about two or three years...not now.  I like the idea of Kath, Montgomery, Colas, Cespedes Kath, and all the 20 year old pitchers beginning to bloom this year and next for major league replacement.  ,