Jump to content

Anyone ever had any experience w renal failure?


The Grinder
 Share

Recommended Posts

My GF has been in the hospital since late Oct where she had open heart surgery that resulted in kidney failure. Th poor woman is taking dialysis 3 times a week and cannot walk. And is down to 94 lbs. I',m beginning to wonder after more than a 100 days if her kidneys will ever funtion again. Anyone ever heard of kidneys of family or friends kidney come back after extended failure? I'm really concerned now :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First off - nothing -but prayers and best wishes to you and your girlfriend. I don't have any direct experience but had a friend of a friend who had experienced it and after doing dialysis for a few years (older individual - so not sure how much age may or may not impact ability to recover), but eventually was able to get a kidney transplant from someone who was a match (which was  life changing experience for them - as despite the long road - they eventually were able to get to a much more normal state vs. the daily treatments which were pretty tough on them (both in terms of going through them, but also in terms of how it impacted ability to travel, etc).  

The individual I am referring to's condition I believe was related ultimately a complication from their diabetes.  That said - I would ask those questions to the doctor (I am sure you have) but in case you haven't those are good things to know and to really understand all the things that you can be doing to help.  I know diet was a critical piece in the equation for the person I mentioned (but even as tightly they managed it - their body still didn't recovery - as early on they were trying to get them back without going on dialysis but that didn't happen).  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/7/2022 at 3:35 PM, Chisoxfn said:

First off - nothing -but prayers and best wishes to you and your girlfriend. I don't have any direct experience but had a friend of a friend who had experienced it and after doing dialysis for a few years (older individual - so not sure how much age may or may not impact ability to recover), but eventually was able to get a kidney transplant from someone who was a match (which was  life changing experience for them - as despite the long road - they eventually were able to get to a much more normal state vs. the daily treatments which were pretty tough on them (both in terms of going through them, but also in terms of how it impacted ability to travel, etc).  

The individual I am referring to's condition I believe was related ultimately a complication from their diabetes.  That said - I would ask those questions to the doctor (I am sure you have) but in case you haven't those are good things to know and to really understand all the things that you can be doing to help.  I know diet was a critical piece in the equation for the person I mentioned (but even as tightly they managed it - their body still didn't recovery - as early on they were trying to get them back without going on dialysis but that didn't happen).  

Thank you for yr  kind thoughts and wishes, much appreciated! WHen you mentioned diet, I assume it was a diabetic friendly diet correct? In her case, she was very healthy low body fat, only 103 lbs and in great shape, she is 59. We are wondering if she had a mini stroke during surgery, as all of her physical issues are on the left side but no drooping on her face. 

 

She has 4 Drs on her case and none of them have answers why a surgery should have taken 5 days in hospital recovery time is now on day 107, maybe an autoimmune disease is possible too. She also has drop foot which keeps her from walking as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sorry to hear that. No specific advice beyond keep seeking answers from other doctors. I see two oncologists that I have confidence in. As long as they agree I feel very confident my course of non treatment is correct. 

And don't accept any jargon you're not 100% certain of the meaning. Make them take the time to decipher and explain. 

Good luck. 🙏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's hoping she's feeling better soon.

To your question, I have heard of kidneys recovering from stage 5 ESRD. It can and does happen, but I don't know what can cause one person's kidneys to kick in, while another's do not. I also do not know how frequently or infrequently kidneys can recover from such a case.

The surgery most likely presented the kidneys with some degree of insult that disrupted blood flow to those organs. (One major structure of the kidneys has millions of tiny blood vessels that are a fraction of the width of a human hair, and one can imagine how open heart surgery could injure that structure.)

 

Going forward, I would do everything in your power to help her manage any outside conditions, such as her blood pressure and her stress. I might also check into the national kidney foundation (www.kidney.org) or with DaVita (www.davita.com) for food and medication ideas, so as to help "lighten the load" on her kidneys. Make sure to work with her dietitian and her nurse for insight into how to manage the day-to-day overall care.

 

At the same time, one should be mentally prepared for the unfortunate possibility that her kidneys might not "wake up," though thats up to what the nephrologists and cardiologists have to say. If (God forbid) this could be the case, then to consider future treatment options, such as a transplant.

 

My prayers for your gal. I hope this is helpful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2022 at 3:12 PM, Texsox said:

I'm sorry to hear that. No specific advice beyond keep seeking answers from other doctors. I see two oncologists that I have confidence in. As long as they agree I feel very confident my course of non treatment is correct. 

And don't accept any jargon you're not 100% certain of the meaning. Make them take the time to decipher and explain. 

Good luck. 🙏

I didnt realize that you are fighting cancer Tex, so sorry to hear that my prayers out for you, thanks for the advice will do

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/11/2022 at 12:39 PM, Two-Gun Pete said:

Here's hoping she's feeling better soon.

To your question, I have heard of kidneys recovering from stage 5 ESRD. It can and does happen, but I don't know what can cause one person's kidneys to kick in, while another's do not. I also do not know how frequently or infrequently kidneys can recover from such a case.

The surgery most likely presented the kidneys with some degree of insult that disrupted blood flow to those organs. (One major structure of the kidneys has millions of tiny blood vessels that are a fraction of the width of a human hair, and one can imagine how open heart surgery could injure that structure.)

 

Going forward, I would do everything in your power to help her manage any outside conditions, such as her blood pressure and her stress. I might also check into the national kidney foundation (www.kidney.org) or with DaVita (www.davita.com) for food and medication ideas, so as to help "lighten the load" on her kidneys. Make sure to work with her dietitian and her nurse for insight into how to manage the day-to-day overall care.

 

At the same time, one should be mentally prepared for the unfortunate possibility that her kidneys might not "wake up," though thats up to what the nephrologists and cardiologists have to say. If (God forbid) this could be the case, then to consider future treatment options, such as a transplant.

 

My prayers for your gal. I hope this is helpful. 

Very helpful thank you I sent this to her and she actually feels better about her situation and appreciates yr input

AT the end of the day I cant tell if shes tired from the dialysis or depressed, or bit of both

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Grinder said:

I didnt realize that you are fighting cancer Tex, so sorry to hear that my prayers out for you, thanks for the advice will do

Thank you. At this point no fight, just waiting. Leukemia just kind of lurks until it wants to play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Very helpful thank you I sent this to her and she actually feels better about her situation and appreciates yr input

AT the end of the day I cant tell if shes tired from the dialysis or depressed, or bit of both

 

Full disclosure: I've had a family member go through open heart surgery at a local community hospital on a Friday.

They didn't bother to have a nephrologist have a look at him until the following Monday. By then, his kidneys got hit pretty hard by the surgery, and he had to undergo a few rounds of dialysis. Just before he got discharged, his kidneys "woke up" enough to where he's not [yet] on dialysis. He still has to watch his stress, his blood pressure, and his diet, and follow up with a nephrologist every 6 months.

My 2 takeaways from that experience are: 

1. Don't EVER willingly go to some 2nd rate community hospital for a serious surgery, if you can avoid it. Go to the "big boy" hospitals that are affiliated with a university, if you can at all help it. If not, maybe even Christ, or Alexian Bros, or Lutheran. You'd be surprised at the difference in outcomes, depending on where you go.

2. Some damaged kidneys can recover, and others don't. And, its not always immediately clear who will and who won't recover functions, and why or why not. At least, this is based on what the nephrologists told us.

 

To your point, having your blood removed from your body, filtered, and then returned to your body is fucking harsh. It's a fucking knockout  punch from Ali right in the teeth, three times a week. And so, keeping her spirits up will be important, inasmuch as looking to the future, whether it'll be a recovery, dialysis, or a transplant. People can and do get through this, but it takes a bit of a tough mind, work/coordination with the health professionals, and a lot of support from people in her life.

All the best to her and to you.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2022 at 5:39 PM, Texsox said:

Thank you. At this point no fight, just waiting. Leukemia just kind of lurks until it wants to play.

And lets hope it lurks for many decades without surfacing, keep fighting the good fight. My Dad died almost 40 yrs ago from lung cancer so cancer patients have a special place in my heart

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/24/2022 at 10:32 PM, Two-Gun Pete said:

Full disclosure: I've had a family member go through open heart surgery at a local community hospital on a Friday.

They didn't bother to have a nephrologist have a look at him until the following Monday. By then, his kidneys got hit pretty hard by the surgery, and he had to undergo a few rounds of dialysis. Just before he got discharged, his kidneys "woke up" enough to where he's not [yet] on dialysis. He still has to watch his stress, his blood pressure, and his diet, and follow up with a nephrologist every 6 months.

My 2 takeaways from that experience are: 

1. Don't EVER willingly go to some 2nd rate community hospital for a serious surgery, if you can avoid it. Go to the "big boy" hospitals that are affiliated with a university, if you can at all help it. If not, maybe even Christ, or Alexian Bros, or Lutheran. You'd be surprised at the difference in outcomes, depending on where you go.

2. Some damaged kidneys can recover, and others don't. And, its not always immediately clear who will and who won't recover functions, and why or why not. At least, this is based on what the nephrologists told us.

 

To your point, having your blood removed from your body, filtered, and then returned to your body is fucking harsh. It's a fucking knockout  punch from Ali right in the teeth, three times a week. And so, keeping her spirits up will be important, inasmuch as looking to the future, whether it'll be a recovery, dialysis, or a transplant. People can and do get through this, but it takes a bit of a tough mind, work/coordination with the health professionals, and a lot of support from people in her life.

All the best to her and to you.

Thanks again for the intel and the good will, she was in UW Hospital so it was a good facility. I guess her DR is going to go to a less invasive dialysis a home unit with the idea that her idea that her kidneys are becoming dependent on a her normal dialysis. I feel so bad for her, Im sure she has to be pondering her future of possibly never walking again:(

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Grinder said:

Thanks again for the intel and the good will, she was in UW Hospital so it was a good facility. I guess her DR is going to go to a less invasive dialysis a home unit with the idea that her idea that her kidneys are becoming dependent on a her normal dialysis. I feel so bad for her, Im sure she has to be pondering her future of possibly never walking again:(

This is tough. Stay strong for her.

 

It sounds to me like you and her medical team have done all that can be done up to this point. Best wishes to you and to her. 

 

Keep us posted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

Very sadly my girlfriend passed away yesterday I assume from blood thinners. She was going to be switched from regular dialysis to home paratennile (sp?) type which needed her port being moved which Drs changed her blood thinners. She kept bleeding in her stomach area and after 2 major surgeries last Fri and Sat her little body couldnt take any more. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Life can sure throw us curveballs 

I lost my brother when he was 23. It took my parents a long time to recover. But little by little they did. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...