Jump to content

2022 Soccer Thread


Recommended Posts

UCL Final Moved

Congratulations to UEFA for having the moral rectitude to treat international pariah Russia as it should be treated. Thank you for having the balls that the neutered ioc never had.

Really, anything less than the treatment of South Africa during apartheid is an insufficient response. Here's hoping that FIFA takes the proper stand as well.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chelsea vs Liverpool for the Carabao Cup. Right before the end of extra time, Chelsea subs Kepa for Mendy specifically for penalty kicks. Kepa proceeds to fail to stop any of the 11 kicks taken by Liverpool and then misses his own kick to lose it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/27/2022 at 7:17 PM, whitesoxfan99 said:

FIFA cowardly is not banning Russia from competing in World Cup qualifiers so far.

Update: FIFA finally took the easy tap-in on this one. Good on them.

I hold no ill will towards the Russian people, nor their athletes, nor their soldiers. But this is what must be done, IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

How bad is it that I have to watch US soccer on Telemundo because no one ever gets whatever station the qualifying games are on.  US just missed about as easy of a goal as someone can get (on a great set-up ball).  Hope they can at least get the draw here (but boy would be it feel good to get a win!!!).  Going to be a crazy final 20+ minutes. 

Panama got the draw (which actually is good since they were playing a weak opponent) but Costa Rica currently beating Canada could tighten things up a ton.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

US had so many good chances this game. Just could not finish. Now Berhalter is playing for a draw with 10 minutes left. 

Oh and Gio Reyna probably had the best dribbling sequence I've ever seen from a US player. That was Messi-esque. This US team clearly has a lot of talent up front, but I just don't think they play well as a team. 

Edited by chw42
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

US had so many good chances this game. Just could not finish. Now Berhalter is playing for a draw with 10 minutes left. 

Oh and Gio Reyna probably had the best dribbling sequence I've ever seen from a US player. That was Messi-esque. This US team clearly has a lot of talent up front, but I just don't think they play well as a team. 

Last few minutes Mexico is getting opp after opp.  Hasn't been pretty...some sloppy defense and nice plays by Mexico.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Wow Vega just got a yellow for a dive. 

Right call - I was really nervous when I saw it (I thought at first call they gave them a penalty kick in extras).  Tough - cause they had that game with better finishing.  But I'll take a point on the road.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Right call - I was really nervous when I saw it (I thought at first call they gave them a penalty kick in extras).  Tough - cause they had that game with better finishing.  But I'll take a point on the road.  

Win against Panama in Orlando and they'll at least get to the intercontinental playoff. 4 points from these next 2 games guarantees the US an automatic spot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Win against Panama in Orlando and they'll at least get to the intercontinental playoff. 4 points from these next 2 games guarantees the US an automatic spot. 

Nerve wracking - anything can happen in any game (just look at Italy today).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Nerve wracking - anything can happen in any game (just look at Italy today).  

That just means Italy will win Euro 2024 lol

Edited by chw42
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, chw42 said:

Win against Panama in Orlando and they'll at least get to the intercontinental playoff. 4 points from these next 2 games guarantees the US an automatic spot. 

Beating Panama will be enough. Costa Rica isn't going to make up 7 goals differential in 2 games.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So the US is in over Costa Rica by goal differential. May not seem like a big deal since either team would be a substantial favorite over New Zealand in the playoff, but by qualifying directly the US gets into Pot 2 and a much easier way out of the group compared to Costa Rica in Pot 4 if they get in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

So the US is in over Costa Rica by goal differential. May not seem like a big deal since either team would be a substantial favorite over New Zealand in the playoff, but by qualifying directly the US gets into Pot 2 and a much easier way out of the group compared to Costa Rica in Pot 4 if they get in.

So nice being back in the World Cup!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...