2022 Soccer Thread

1 hour ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

That wasn't even their second string.  That was a C team at best.  Mexico is using their best players (minus a couple of guys who are injured) in the Gold Cup in part because the US thoroughly destroyed them in Nations League last month.  The USA sent a bunch of guys who won't be on their Copa America squad next year or even in the World Cup picture for 2026.   Outside of the goaltenders, I'd be shocked if anyone who played on this team really factors in other than maybe one of the young players like Neal or Cowell if they really develop or Miles Robinson as a deep reserve center back. 

No thanks to Qatar for fucking up the calendar and forcing the NL final so close to the Gold Cup. Would have been nice to see everybody's best.

On 7/13/2023 at 10:26 AM, CentralChamps21 said:

No thanks to Qatar for fucking up the calendar and forcing the NL final so close to the Gold Cup. Would have been nice to see everybody's best.

You can thank COVID too for placing the Gold Cup and the NL finals in the same year. 

On 7/13/2023 at 9:16 AM, whitesoxfan99 said:

That wasn't even their second string.  That was a C team at best.  Mexico is using their best players (minus a couple of guys who are injured) in the Gold Cup in part because the US thoroughly destroyed them in Nations League last month.  The USA sent a bunch of guys who won't be on their Copa America squad next year or even in the World Cup picture for 2026.   Outside of the goaltenders, I'd be shocked if anyone who played on this team really factors in other than maybe one of the young players like Neal or Cowell if they really develop or Miles Robinson as a deep reserve center back. 

Miles Robinson's stock is way down after the Gold Cup. 2 handballs against Canada and he didn't exactly look that much better than Miazga and Long. Ream, Richards, CCV, and even Zimmerman are probably ahead of him right now in the depth chart. I know he was injured recently, but still. 

On 7/19/2023 at 11:32 AM, chw42 said:

Miles Robinson's stock is way down after the Gold Cup. 2 handballs against Canada and he didn't exactly look that much better than Miazga and Long. Ream, Richards, CCV, and even Zimmerman are probably ahead of him right now in the depth chart. I know he was injured recently, but still. 

Central defense the weakest spot on the roster right now.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Quin said:

I had tickets for tonight's game against the Red Bulls that I bought right before he signed.

Sold them the moment Tata said he'd sit Messi. Thank god.

He still played and scored a crazy goal. I never thought I'd actually watch MLS this much.

50 minutes ago, chw42 said:

He still played and scored a crazy goal. I never thought I'd actually watch MLS this much.

Saw that and felt some regret, but my best friend (who I had bought the tickets to go with) bailed because he assumed I had sold them weeks ago and made plans.

My wife was gonna go so it didn't go to waste, but she's got minimal interest. In the end, it's not the worst thing.

But also, man, the MLS needs to capitalize so hard and try to attract more talent.

It's a long, long way from ever tussling with the European leagues, but all it takes is for MLS to reinvest the profits and Messi to tell other stars "yeah this is fun as s%*#."

19 hours ago, Quin said:

But also, man, the MLS needs to capitalize so hard and try to attract more talent.

It's a long, long way from ever tussling with the European leagues, but all it takes is for MLS to reinvest the profits and Messi to tell other stars "yeah this is fun as s%*#."

Saudi Arabia is throwing billions at players but who knows if it'll actually get people watching. MLS is super accessible with the MLS pass. If they capitalize on this correctly they might be able to lure a lot more older stars over without having to pay them oil money.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 3/24/2024 at 10:25 PM, chw42 said:

We own Mexico at this point. Undefeated in the last 7. Beat them in 3 straight Nations Leagues. 

Australia plays in Asia for competitive reasons.

Israel plays in Europe for political reasons.

Is it time for the US to find a new home?

15 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Australia plays in Asia for competitive reasons.

Israel plays in Europe for political reasons.

Is it time for the US to find a new home?

Honestly CONCACAF and CONMEBOL should just merge.