Upcoming roster decisions

CentralChamps21

There are five guys who at some point will be coming back from Injured/Paternity lists: Robert, Kopech, Bummer, Moncada, Anderson

There are five guys who can be optioned down: Foster, Lambert, Martin, Gonzalez, Haseley

First problem is that you have three pitcher who can be sent down but only two coming back. Second problem is that Bummer is on the 60 day IL so someone has to be DFA to make room for him anyway.

What I think happens:

Haseley goes when Robert comes back

Foster goes when the first of Kopech/Bummer come back

Logically, one of Lambert/Martin go when the other pitcher comes back, but honestly both of them have been better than Velasquez so I'd rather keep both of them and DFA VV.

Romy goes down when the first of TA/Yoan come back.

Unless they're willing to go with one fewer pitcher, which doesn't make sense, a position player has to get DFA when the other of TA/Yoan come back. Andrus seems to have earned the right to stick around, so the best bet is Payton, but if the Sox think they're going to non-tender Engel in the off season, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go now and hang on to Payton through the end of the season.

23 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

There are five guys who at some point will be coming back from Injured/Paternity lists: Robert, Kopech, Bummer, Moncada, Anderson

There are five guys who can be optioned down: Foster, Lambert, Martin, Gonzalez, Haseley

First problem is that you have three pitcher who can be sent down but only two coming back. Second problem is that Bummer is on the 60 day IL so someone has to be DFA to make room for him anyway.

What I think happens:

Haseley goes when Robert comes back

Foster goes when the first of Kopech/Bummer come back

Logically, one of Lambert/Martin go when the other pitcher comes back, but honestly both of them have been better than Velasquez so I'd rather keep both of them and DFA VV.

Romy goes down when the first of TA/Yoan come back.

Unless they're willing to go with one fewer pitcher, which doesn't make sense, a position player has to get DFA when the other of TA/Yoan come back. Andrus seems to have earned the right to stick around, so the best bet is Payton, but if the Sox think they're going to non-tender Engel in the off season, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go now and hang on to Payton through the end of the season.

I totally agree Lambert has pitched great this last time around and does not deserve to be sent down again. Velasquez definitely should be DFA now vs later. He sucks and always has! Velasquez never should have even be signed by the Sox. He was a lifetime 5.00 ERA pitcher his entire career. Velasquez's last 5 years of ERA's in the NL prior to 2022 with no DH, were:

'17 - 5.13
'18 - 4.85
'19 - 4.91
'20 - 5.56
'21 - 2 teams
5.95 & 8.53
'22 - Sox - 5.34

If Hahn keeps Velasquez over Lambert, then you now officially know Hahn is inept and horrible at his job and needs to be fired. 

18 hours ago, oldsox said:

VV might be next to go.

He is a FA in a month. DFA at this point costs you nothing. Sox have like 15 guys on the 40 man who are either FAs at the end of the year (Cueto, VV, Abreu, Andrus, Harrison) or easy DFAs (Aybar, Bilous, Crick, Tobias Myers, Severino, Haseley, Payton, I would also consider Mendick, and Stiever).  There is not much of a roster crunch currently or in the foreseeable future.