WSox listed as interested in Dbacks OFs

southsider2k5

Looking at the Dbacks again, they are actually a very interesting trade partner. Along with Thomas, Carroll, Varsho and McCarthy already in the majors they also have a pair of interesting 25 year old lefty OF’ers in AAA that they drafted in 2019.

Dominic Fletcher- Plus defender in CF who has hit .296/.368/.467 with 32 hrs in 290 games from A-AAA in 2.5 years. Drafted 75th overall out of Arkansas

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/dbacks/dominic-fletcher-666150

Dominic Canzone- Sounds like an average LF only(has also played 1B), but his bat is the big selling point. Advancing through every level of the minors in 2.5 years he’s hit .297/.360/.533 with 44 HR’s across 231 games. 8th round pick out of Ohio St
https://www.mlb.com/prospects/dbacks/dominic-canzone-686527

Not sure what a potential deal would look like, but it makes sense for the Dbacks to trade the glut of OF depth they have for something else. With TA, Montgomery, and Sosa ahead of him (with Romy as more depth) I wonder what Dbacks OF’er we could get for a guy like Popeye?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2022 at 6:10 PM, TheFutureIsNear said:

Varsho doesn’t seem like anything special, but is a lefty that hit 27 HR’s and is very solid in the OF. Also can catch but his arm isn’t good enough to stick there apparently…but could have value for us there if Yaz is a complete bust again. 

Also wonder if they are looking to get out of the Marte contract…Marte + Varsho could be an interesting trade package for us. Don’t know what a realistic offer would be tho…Crochett seems like a decent starting point 

Apparently Toronto also disagrees with you about Varsho not being that special because he just returned a package headlined by a top 10 prospect in baseball + Lourdes Gurriel, a decent RHH bat that should hit 25+ HR in Arizona with a 120+ wRC+.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Apparently Toronto also disagrees with you about Varsho not being that special because he just returned a package headlined by a top 10 prospect in baseball + Lourdes Gurriel, a decent RHH bat that should hit 25+ HR in Arizona with a 120+ wRC+.

This has to be the prototypical trade for why I don’t like paying the premium for control rather than straight talent.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 9:53 AM, TheFutureIsNear said:

Dominic Canzone- Sounds like an average LF only(has also played 1B), but his bat is the big selling point. Advancing through every level of the minors in 2.5 years he’s hit .297/.360/.533 with 44 HR’s across 231 games. 8th round pick out of Ohio St
https://www.mlb.com/prospects/dbacks/dominic-canzone-686527

This guy sounds almost too perfect!  A big bat combined with questionable defense.  Probably more of a 1B/DH type than a left fielder.  If he was a right-handed hitter this would be a done deal.  

Edited by Good Guys

17 hours ago, bmags said:

This has to be the prototypical trade for why I don’t like paying the premium for control rather than straight talent.

19 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Yeah clearly I was very wrong on Varsho’s value, I honestly wasn’t aware of how good his D is when I typed that. But I’ll still wait and see on how smart of a trade this actually is. If Varsho continues to improve with the bat it will be a good trade, but even if he takes a small step back we’re talking about a glove 1st CF’er with a 100 WRC+. Obviously still plenty of value in that player, but for a potential high end catcher and a starting level OF’er? Good luck Blue Jays…

18 hours ago, bmags said:

I'm not understanding the recent lament over paying a premium for the amount of years involved. Isn't that the way trades  usually work ? Maybe give me an example of a "straight talent" trade.  If you get a guy who was worth 4.5 War last year and is Super 2 status and coming off a career year, the cost is going to be high. Maybe it wasn't even high enough.

AZ. paid for Moreno's upside/control and the 2 years of Gurriel. I have no idea who got the better deal. Time will tell. If I was going to lament anything it's that Varsho would've been cheaper last year if he was available but Hahn and Co. couldn't figure out a LH good fielding OF/backup catcher with power was needed and that AZ. had plenty of good OFers in their system.