This Day In Sox History...August 7

Lip Man 1

August 7, 1910 - Sox pitcher “Big” Ed Walsh fired the first shutout in the original Comiskey Park when he blanked the Washington Senators 4-0. He allowed only two hits and struck out 10 in the game.

Senators outfielder William “Wid” Conroy got both of the hits off Walsh that afternoon.

August 7, 1970 - In the midst of the worst season in franchise history, some smiles were seen after the Sox unveiled the “Big White Machine,” at Comiskey Park. The car was a 1929 Ford, rebuilt and put together by Sox players Ed Herrmann, Bill Melton, Syd O’Brien and the folks at Hawkinson Ford (now known as Hawk Ford). It circled the Comiskey Park warning track every time the Sox won a home game (which wasn’t often!)

August 7, 1972 – He played in the big leagues for 23 seasons, five with the White Sox and his 300 lifetime wins allowed Early Wynn to be inducted into the Hall of Fame on this date.

Wynn pitched five seasons for the Sox winning 64 games. He led the American League in innings pitched, games started, strikeouts and wins at various times between 1958 and 1962 when he was in Chicago. He averaged 38 starts a year during that time period.

His signature season was the pennant winning year of 1959 when he won the Cy Young Award with 22 wins and an ERA of 3.17. (There was only one award in those days instead of each league having a recipient.) Later he became a White Sox broadcaster in the early 1980’s.

August 7, 1974 - Comiskey Park was the site for one of the most exciting games of the early 1970’s and it involved Nolan Ryan. The flamethrower took a no-hitter into the ninth inning against the Sox and led 1-0 thanks to a Frank Robinson home run. After getting the first out in the inning however it all fell apart for him.

Dick Allen beat out an infield hit spoiling the no-hitter and Carlos May reached on an error. Ken Henderson ripped a single to center to tie the game and then with two out, Billy Sharp singled to right to win it. The Sox beat the Angels 2-1 getting all three of their hits in the final inning. Sox pitcher Jim Kaat was brilliant as well and the late rally saved him from a tough loss.  

August 7, 1994 - In a game in Anaheim, Frank Thomas drove in two RBI’s in the Sox 10-5 win in 12 innings over the Angels. The RBI’s were his 100th and 101st on the season. They’d come in the team’s 110th game which set the franchise mark for fastest to 100 RBI’s. Thomas held the old mark set the year before, when he collected his 100th RBI in the team’s 118th contest.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I really enjoy these posts.  I remember that 1974 Nolan Ryan game.  

Also remember "The Big White Machine."  It was a fun gimmick but I guess not classy enough for a "first class operation."

Glad you enjoy them. I actually have that 9th inning in my library, the WSNS-TV broadcast, Dr. Fletcher from the Chicago Baseball Museum got me a copy. Don't know how he received it. Have had it for several years now. Runs around 20 minutes and includes the post game show with Harry. 

• Love 1

51 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I really enjoy these posts.  I remember that 1974 Nolan Ryan game.  

Also remember "The Big White Machine."  It was a fun gimmick but I guess not classy enough for a "first class operation."

I really enjoy these posts too, as it's the only way for us die-hard Sox fans to remind ourselves of when the Sox were actually fun and exciting to watch in past years...obviously something we will not see for many more years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Glad you enjoy them. I actually have that 9th inning in my library, the WSNS-TV broadcast, Dr. Fletcher from the Chicago Baseball Museum got me a copy. Don't know how he received it. Have had it for several years now. Runs around 20 minutes and includes the post game show with Harry. 

I'd pay 5 american dollars to see it.

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Free of charge:

I sent it to some friends and they posted it on You Tube.

Just watched the clip again because it's so good.  Now that's major league baseball!

Every current White Sox player should have to watch this clip and pay special attention to Harry Caray's post game wrap up!

I sure miss Dick Allen, Harry Caray and the real Chicago White Sox.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1