Hendriks speaks...

Lip Man 1

‘‘The ball is in their court. I have put it in their ears that I’d like to stay. I think I have unfinished business here.’’

‘‘We had some butting of heads that no one was willing to back down. No one was willing to concede. No one was willing to do that. That there really causes a rift."

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2023/8/11/23829318/like-white-sox-closer-liam-hendriks-endures-season-to-forget

• Thanks 1

What does Liam know about when he should have been back pitching? He's not the medical staff. Everyone here (other than @ptatc) knows the Sox rushed him back and it caused another injury. He's just trying to kiss ass to get a contract. He's the same guy who said he came to the Sox to play for TLR, the worst manager ever. The guy has no credibility. If he was a poster here we'd shred him in a day with his obvious baseball ignorance. 

Or maybe we don't know everything behind the scenes. :huh

And for those who didn't pick up on the sarcasm 

• Like 1

"But even amid those factors and his long-stated desire to deliver on his $54 million contract, Hendriks insists he wasn’t rushed back this season, nor does he believe it was a factor in his injury. He believes it to be another misfortune that has led him to sum up his 2023 with a wry smile."

‘‘Not ideal,’’ he said.

Might be the biggest no brainer to buy out his 15 million option. Sorry Liam, you're one of the good ones, but unfortunately this is a business and this front office failed you and your teammates in maintaining a winning product. Uncle Jerry will take care of him on the side with the 1.5 mil per year for the next 10 years.

• Like 3

On one hand, you could see him being willing to accept a reworked contract with deferred pay — basically, the buyout but he stays a White Sox. On the other hand, I don't think the union would allow it. And I don't think the Sox would really be willing to give him anything extra to make it acceptable to the union.

3 minutes ago, wegner said:

And people old enough to remember that Saturday Night Live was once funny

Weekend Update has never been better than the last couple years, but overall yeah, the show has been funnier. 

52 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Weekend Update has never been better than the last couple years, but overall yeah, the show has been funnier. 

I have a problem with the skits....anytime I've watched they take 1 joke and run it to the ground for 12 minutes. Less is more in my book. I don't get how a room full of writers can't do better in a week....South Park does.

Ok that's the end of my old man rant.....In my day, the skits were short and funny, and we liked it!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

I have a problem with the skits....anytime I've watched they take 1 joke and run it to the ground for 12 minutes. Less is more in my book. I don't get how a room full of writers can't do better in a week....South Park does.

Ok that's the end of my old man rant.....In my day, the skits were short and funny, and we liked it!!!

I agree. 

I also realize the early casts had a much lower bar to surpass. There really wasn't anything like it on mainstream TV. 

I'm so old that I went from

We'll meet you at the bar after SNL

to

I'm going to stay awake to watch the end of SNL

to

I'll stream it later. I'm going to bed

:lolhitting 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I agree. 

I also realize the early casts had a much lower bar to surpass. There really wasn't anything like it on mainstream TV. 

I'm so old that I went from

We'll meet you at the bar after SNL

to

I'm going to stay awake to watch the end of SNL

to

I'll stream it later. I'm going to bed

:lolhitting 

You know how to stream? If I miss something, I miss it. I'm like those people in the Progressive commercial turning in to their parents. 😁

• Haha 1

How valuable really is a 36-year-old reliever coming off Tommy John surgery? I feel like there's no real reason to just buy out his contract, I don't care if the organization saves money and they aren't even really saving money, just deferring it. But it wouldn't make any sense to extend him besides the fact that he's a nice guy -- will he be any good at baseball in 2025? I bet Santos will be a better player by then so why are you giving a multi-year extension to a setup man? How'd that work out with Kelly and Graveman?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, nrockway said:

How valuable really is a 36-year-old reliever coming off Tommy John surgery? I feel like there's no real reason to just buy out his contract, I don't care if the organization saves money and they aren't even really saving money, just deferring it. But it wouldn't make any sense to extend him besides the fact that he's a nice guy -- will he be any good at baseball in 2025? I bet Santos will be a better player by then so why are you giving a multi-year extension to a setup man? How'd that work out with Kelly and Graveman?

The choice is to just buy out his contract at $1.5 mil a year for ten years or pay him $15 mil next year. A zero interest loan on $15 mil is quite handy and saves the team money they can waste on other players. So it actually makes a lot of sense to just buy out his contract. 

Liam at 85% is better than Santos at 100%. 

8 minutes ago, JoeC said:

With a buyout, what are the luxury tax hit considerations?

Specifically, $15M applied against 2024? Or $1.5M applied against 2024 - 2033?

Neither. The Competitive Balance Tax is based on the average annual cost of the contract. So if a player has a 5/100 deal it's factored at $20 a year no matter what the actual pay is for that year.