Fall/Winter Ball: Week 3

Autumn Dreamin

Another bleh week for the Dogs overall, but some nice things from the Sox representatives there.

• Colson Montgomery is 5-13 in his last 3 games with 3 HR, a 3B, and 6 RBI. Is a 1.600 OPS good or something?
  • Jacob Burke hit his first AFL HR, albeit with a comparatively "boring" ~.800 OPS.
  • Jake Eder had one start, 3.1 IP, 2 ER.
  • Josimar Cousin went 3 IP, 2 R in his lone start.
  • Jordan Leasure chipped in a perfect 2K inning. He has 5K and just 1 H/BB through his 3 IP so far.

Fraser Ellard gave up his first ERs this week, Adisyn Coffey had a 4BB outing he'd like to forget, and gave up a solo shot in an otherwise clean 2K inning in his second appearance, and Bryan Ramos is in a bit of a slump after a hot start.

The Week Ahead

The usual six game slate for the week, but this time 4 of 6 will be available via live stream.  Jake Eder starts today:

Game 1: GDD vs. PEJ (Gameday | Live Stream)

Eder once again is tasked with taking on the best AFL offense; their 108 runs scored comfortably lead the league (2nd place has scored 93) and they average 9 runs/game. He held them to 2 ER in 3.1IP in his last outing.

Burke at leadoff and Montgomery batting 3rd will look to give Eder some support on both sides of the ball. Ramos has the day off.

4 minutes ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

4Ks through 2IP for Eder. He looks really solid, but gets an early hook because he's only getting credit for the swinging ones.

These were "walks":

ump-show.jpg

I missed the walks while doing some chores around the house and wtf.

This explains why the broadcaster said Eder was "hungry for strikeouts."

Hey look at that, a win! Eder looked better than his line, Ellard chipped in a scoreless 2K inning, and Leasure did his 1-2-3 thing (1K).

Burke's slam was the difference maker:

He also had a nice catch at the wall on a deep flyout, clearly a follower of LRJ's "rob a homer, hit a homer" philosophy.

Montgomery didn't get a hit, but him reaching on a HBP is how you really know he's back to himself anyway.

Game 3: GDD vs. MSS (Gameday | Live Stream)

If the AFL game is streaming, but no Sox are starting, does anyone really care?

Well I did (for half an inning), because at least I got to watch Leasure do his thing again.

11 pitch, 2K 9th inning to secure the Dogs 6-2 win.  He has not allowed a baserunner in his last 3 appearances. His AFL WHIP is 0.4.

Hope he saw everything he wanted to during his time in Charlotte, because I'm not sure he'll be returning there.

Side note: I know there are a lot of guys on the roster, but three days off in a row for Ramos feels notable.

1 hour ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Game 4: GDD vs. SRR (Gameday | Live Stream)

Cousin is starting, Burke batting 2nd, Montgomery batting 3rd. Still no Ramos.

This one will have a live stream, and once the game starts you should also be able to get Statcast pitch data here: https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?gamePk=747654

On the WST Podcast with Josh Barfield, he said that Ramos is "a bit nicked up" right now, which explains the recent absences. 

• Thanks 1

For at least the second time I've seen, the manager got greedy asking Coffey for a second inning and then hung him out to dry even though it was clear he didn't have it after sitting. The first inning was perfect, the second was 5 ER.

A bases loaded 2 RBI double from Burke and a Colson sac fly chipped in to the comeback.

Ellard came in to a 9-9 tie. He threw a warmup to the backstop, and walked his first batter on 4 straight...but ultimately turned in a scoreless bottom 8 thanks to a couple K's and a nice running catch by Colson in shallow left.

He got a W for his efforts, Dogs scored 7 unanswered to win 10-9.

Colson finished 1-4 with a 3B, 4 RBI, and a sac fly. Burke went with 1-4 with a 2B, 2 RBI, a BB, and a run scored. Colson's 13 RBI are tied for 3rd in the league.

Ellard recently got a mention from BA for having one of the highest increases in 4SFB velo from 2022 to 2023. His average was up from 91.3 to 95.5mph. Statcast had him throwing only sinker/slider today at 94.4/86.3 avg.

“Just the fact that he's a big shortstop too, you know, and I'm a big shortstop. So just watching the way he pre-sets in the infield and also how he swings and things like that. Especially being a big body, I mean, it's not easy being 6-foot-4 and playing shortstop and also being able to swing. I just look at his game and just try and take little things from it.”

https://www.milb.com/news/white-sox-colson-montgomery-looking-like-all-star-shortstop