Chatroom Help

I'm going to make this a basic tutorial on IRC (Internet Relay Chat).

There are 2 ways you can access the channel. One way would be to simply use the link www.soxtalk.com/chat, and use the Java Applet to talk in the chatroom. The other is for people who use IRC often, as it provides more utilities. It is called mIRC, a powerful program that can connect you to any network and any channel ever created. To download mIRC, go to www.mirc.com . mIRC is a lot more advanced than the Java Applet.

There are two services that come on the server the channel is on. They are called NickServ and ChanServ.

NickServ

NickServ is basically a service that gives you rights of a certain nickname. Registering your nickname is a useful thing to do if a head of the chat gives you "access" (channel rights) to the channel. If you have your nickname registered, and the head-of-chat gives you access, instead of him having to give it back whenever you re-join the channel, NickServ will automatically give you your access when you join the channel. Here are a few commands.

To register your nickname- Be sure you are currently using the nickname you wish to register.

/msg NickServ register PASSWORD E-MAIL Address.

Choose a password you wish to use, you may get a message from NickServ telling you to make your password more obscure. In this case, add a number or two to the end of the password that you won't forget. That should clear things up.

After typing in that command, NickServ should give you a message telling you to check your email to confirm your registration, or something to that extent. Check your e-mail, and inside the e-mail will be a command to verify your registration. Simply Copy/Paste this command into the window, and press enter, and your nickname is now registered!

Whenever you connect to the server, you will need to identify to NickServ, basically telling NickServ that you are this nickname's rightful owner. To do this, type:

/msg NickServ identify PASSWORD

After that command, NickServ will tell you you've identified, and ChanServ will give you proper access to the channel.

ChanServ

ChanServ is a service for the channel. It's uses are mainly for the Operators of the channel. Operators are people given the power to give other people access, kick, ban, set the topic, and various other tools for channels. If you are an operator, you don't need to type commands to kick, ban, give people access, etc., you can just right click on the users name, and a bunch of options will show up with what you can do the the user.

For The User Using The Java Applet

If you use the www.soxtalk.com/chat link to talk on the chatroom, there is little you need to know. A lot of commands can be done by simply clicking a button provided in the applet.

These are pretty much basic commands for the chat.

To change your nickname on the chat, type

/nick NICKNAME

To identify a person (which you probably won't need to do, but it's a useful command for getting a persons IP Address to ban) type

/whois NICKNAME

To join another channel, type

/join #NAMEOFCHANNEL

To leave the channel, type

/part

This is all you need to know if you use the Java Applet.

For The mIRC User

If you use mIRC, a wealth of options are available for you. You can expand the channels that you talk in, and the best part is that mIRC is it's own program, meaning it doesn't use up an Internet Explorer (or whatever browser) window.

With mIRC, you can visit other servers, visit other channels, script your own code, and lots of other things.

If you downloaded mIRC, here are a few basics to getting everything up and running right away. First, something you should know. It says you have 30 days to register and buy mIRC, you DO NOT HAVE TO REGISTER, IT WILL STILL WORK AFTER 30 DAYS, the money thing is just a charity option.

A window called "mIRC Options" will pop up.

You will need to input your Name, E-Mail, a nickname you're going to use, and an alternative nickname. You do NOT have to put in your real name or e-mail, they have nothing to do with anything.

Now, click out of this window and there will basically be a blank screen. There is a text box at the bottom. Type:

/server irc.centralchat.net

Some text will pass by at a fast pace, meaning that you are logging/logged on to the server. Next type:

/join #soxnetchat

You are now in SoxTalk's chat.

There are also a few EXTREMELY useful things mIRC can do for you. First, be sure to register a nickname using NickServ (see above)[if you have not already]. Now, click the button that shows a hammer and a folder. The Options screen will come back up. If necessary, open the Connect tab, and click on Options. There will be a button called "Perform...", click that. In this area, check the box called "Enable Perform on Connect", and in big box for "Perform Commands", put these 2 commands in, each on their own line.

/msg nickserv identify PASSWORD

/join #soxtalk

Then click OK, and you're set. What this does is when you get on the server mirc-x, it will automatically perform these commands, so you do not have to type them out yourself. You won't have to contact NickServ at all, and it will automatically join SoxTalk Chat for you.

There are tons of other options for mIRC, and a boatload of other buttons to press and things to try out. Most things for more advanced users, like aliases, remotes, popups, etc.

Post any questions you have here, and I will reply ASAP.

• 1 month later...
If I could assemble some database of White Sox trivia we could put a trivia bot on the IRC channel.  I always find those fun to play with.

I welcome anybody making questions/answers. That is ALL I need, I can then just put it into the bot, and voila, we have White Sox (or baseball) trivia.

Problem then is, I know all the answers. :P

I welcome anybody making questions/answers. That is ALL I need, I can then just put it into the bot, and voila, we have White Sox (or baseball) trivia.

Problem then is, I know all the answers.  :P

U r neva gonna catch my lead in the trivia Yahtzee. :lol:

ALL YOU TRIVIA PLAYERS

whitesoxfan99 has kindly supplied us with 30 questions pertaining to baseball and the White Sox of ours. Although it is just a SMALL dent in the original 1100 questions, it is an excellent start.

Chances are, as well, that you will see none of these questions until the 5th or 6th game, or it could be the very first question. No one knows.

I am trying to keep JR in there 24/7 for you guys, and will teach a few more people how to start up the trivia. It is not hard. There are just a few iffy commands you have to remember or write down.

Sometimes JR will not be there, because of my internet connection dying, or for some other odd reasons, but if you need him, just tell me in the chat or something, and I'll gladly bring him in.

ALL YOU TRIVIA PLAYERS

whitesoxfan99 has kindly supplied us with 30 questions pertaining to baseball and the White Sox of ours. Although it is just a SMALL dent in the original 1100 questions, it is an excellent start.

Chances are, as well, that you will see none of these questions until the 5th or 6th game, or it could be the very first question. No one knows.

I am trying to keep JR in there 24/7 for you guys, and will teach a few more people how to start up the trivia. It is not hard. There are just a few iffy commands you have to remember or write down.

Sometimes JR will not be there, because of my internet connection dying, or for some other odd reasons, but if you need him, just tell me in the chat or something, and I'll gladly bring him in.

I gotta get in some more questions for ya as well Yahtzee. :D

• 4 months later...
JerryReinsdorf will be making in-game visits to the SoxNet chat. Trivia, bombs, 8-balls and whatever are accessable for those games that you really don't want to watch, but still have in the background.

Updated the original post in this thread to pertain to the new chatroom and server.

Jerry Reinsdorf...The Bot!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...