Hendrix comments...

Lip Man 1

Spoke to CBS SportsLine on a number of topics. Didn't talk about the White Sox save for this one mention:

"Any offseason it's always something. It could be the littlest thing like when I was with the White Sox it was 'oh, we're recovering from the COVID pandemic, so we just don't have any money coming in.' We all know that was somewhat true but also bullshit at the same time. Some teams are willing to pay. It's just others are looking for an excuse to scare guys into taking less than they're worth and that's all it is."

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/liam-hendriks-opens-up-about-another-comeback-signing-with-red-sox-bulls-of-mlb-free-agency-and-more/

53 minutes ago, nrockway said:

Interesting remark that feels like it should be a shot at the White Sox, but they paid him $54mil the COVID year, so probably not. 

I think he’s talking about the complete lack of attempt at building a team that can realistically compete. Not that Jerry needs an excuse to not spend money, he doesn’t give a damn either way 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

That is definitely a shot at the Sox.

did Liam take less than he was worth? He got paid $13mil per 1 WAR he produced as a Sox, that feels like a pretty good return for him. Overpaying for relievers, including Hendricks, does not feel like a recipe for success and so I wonder why he would complain about being overpaid -- which leads me to believe other teams low-balled him.

I'm just not sure who the Sox are scaring into taking less money unless he's talking about the international pipeline which I don't think he is, I think he's talking about free agency. Maybe Reinsdorf scared the bejesus out of Benintendi otherwise he was going to be paid 200 million dollars

Liam has never signed for less money ever.  Sox appeared to stand by him through all kinds of bullshit and I'm sure the checks still cleared.

I don't get the obsession with him.  Strikes me as a major tool.  

54 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

That is definitely a shot at the Sox.

I mean…the Sox paid him more than anyone else or Liam would not have signed here. Don’t really see that as a shot at the Sox. Maybe he didn’t like the offers this offseason, but the guy isn’t even going to pitch in 24. 

Edited by ChiSox59

37 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Liam has never signed for less money ever.  Sox appeared to stand by him through all kinds of bullshit and I'm sure the checks still cleared.

I don't get the obsession with him.  Strikes me as a major tool.  

Did you just describe cancer as “all types of bullshit”? 

• Haha 4
  • TLR 1

55 minutes ago, nrockway said:

did Liam take less than he was worth? He got paid $13mil per 1 WAR he produced as a Sox, that feels like a pretty good return for him. Overpaying for relievers, including Hendricks, does not feel like a recipe for success and so I wonder why he would complain about being overpaid -- which leads me to believe other teams low-balled him.

I'm just not sure who the Sox are scaring into taking less money unless he's talking about the international pipeline which I don't think he is, I think he's talking about free agency. Maybe Reinsdorf scared the bejesus out of Benintendi otherwise he was going to be paid 200 million dollars

48 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean…the Sox paid him more than anyone else or Liam would not have signed here. Don’t really see that as a shot at the Sox. Maybe he didn’t like the offers this offseason, but the guy isn’t even going to pitch in 24. 

I’m not arguing whether or not he was overpaid. I’m not even sure he’s referring to himself in that quote. But he’s definitely taking a shot at the organization.

He wasn't complaining about his salary or treatment from the Sox. He was simply stating that the Sox had many excuses to not add onto the roster during its peak competitive window (Very small window, I may add). Ryan McGuffey has done an excellent job voicing this same frusteration on the White Sox talk podcast. Jerry simply refused to pay market value for free agent superstars that would've likely increased the chances multiple playoff series wins. Sad. That was his golden opportunity to correct the narrative of him being "cheap". Sadly, it was Jerry's choice to stand pat with the players he had. Jerry will never ever sign a blue chip free agent. The last one he did sign was Albert Belle and that was almost 30 years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

I’m not arguing whether or not he was overpaid. I’m not even sure he’s referring to himself in that quote. But he’s definitely taking a shot at the organization.

oh I guess it does say "when I was with the White Sox" I just can't read. I think it's annoying when players take shots at their former teams whether or not they're right so I guess I didn't want to be annoyed by Liam. He talks too much. 

Edited by nrockway
  • Thanks 1

My level of disconnect with this team…

I didn’t click on the article. It took me reading several posts to figure out who Hendrix was (and not due to the misspelling). Other than Jimi, the only Hendrix that came to mind way Kyle. And I couldn’t figure out why he’d be commenting on the Sox. Although, if he wants to, have at it.

That said, I think Liam’s point isn’t necessarily about his personal situation (haven’t read article) but the overall atmosphere of cheapness that clouds the Reinsdorf franchises. 

• Like 2