Analysis of uptick in pitching/UCL injuries

• joejoesox changed the title to Analysis of uptick in pitching/UCL injuries
On 4/30/2024 at 4:35 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

Sounds like part of the problem is it's just too competitive and players have to throw hard all year round.

The pressures put on youth sports players by the system and parents is ruining thousands of kids.

overuse injuries and burnout are far too common.

On 5/4/2024 at 8:24 AM, JoeC said:

The pressures put on youth sports players by the system and parents is ruining thousands of kids.

overuse injuries and burnout are far too common.

C'mon, Joe, the kids aren't necessarily ruined.

I'm finding the evidence of a "surge" in TJS to be mixed. Cherry-picked example from a month ago:

Although in the longer term, obviously there are more Tommy Johns than, say, 15 years ago. I still can't help but wonder how much of this is related to more players getting the surgery rather than retire and how much is that, generally, we're coddling injury-prone pitchers all the way to the majors. "Coddling" sounds pejorative but I really mean it as a description — are we protecting guys so much that rather than flame out as a 16 year old, they make it to pro ball before the inevitable strikes? I don't know.

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

C'mon, Joe, the kids aren't necessarily ruined.

From an athletic and drive standpoint, thousands of kids suffer overuse injuries that become lifelong ailments, and countless others just get burned out and build up resentment toward the sports. That’s what I mean by “ruined.”

I’ve seen it in dozens of kids in my direct involvement. It’s not a stretch to extrapolate that single point of reference to thousands of kids.