Deer hunting

...Got this doe (My first deer) at about 10:45 Sunday morning after waiting in a tree for fouh hours, 45 minutes. It was about 15 yards and I hit it with my 20 gauge. It ran probably another 50-70 yards and dropped. I also field dressed it.

Heads, did you have a doe only permit? Does Illinois still have multiple seasons based on weapon?

Interesting thing down here that surprised me at first. When I was is Illinois, it was always possible to find a landowner willing to let you hunt theirland for free or a small cost (meat, work, etc.) In Texas with all this scrub brush, nohing on it land, deer leases are big bucks (no pun intended). A decent lease will run you $2,000 and up. Makes venison a bit pricy.

Nice doe

Heads, did you have a doe only permit? Does Illinois still have multiple seasons based on weapon?

Interesting thing down here that surprised me at first. When I was is Illinois, it was always possible to find a landowner willing to let you hunt theirland for free or a small cost (meat, work, etc.) In Texas with all this scrub brush, nohing on it land, deer leases are big bucks (no pun intended). A decent lease will run you $2,000 and up. Makes venison a bit pricy.

Nice doe

Just a regular hunting license and a deer tag that you have to put around it's leg. Also, anyone that is younger than like 50 has to go thru a hunter saftey course. It's a real good program and things are set up very nicely in Iowa.

Just for a record my arsenal includes:

.22 rifle

20 gauge shotgun

.306 high powered rifle

and of course, my blowgun....:lol:

That doe didn't go real far. Right in the heart.

Nice shot their soxheads. Congrats on baggin ur first deer.  :headbang

Thanks. The one thing I noticed is that when you're sitting up in the tree, it gets really f***ing loud when outher people shoot. But, the thing is, I didn't hear myself shoot. Adrenaline I guess. :)

Just a regular hunting license and a deer tag that you have to put around it's leg. Also, anyone that is younger than like 50 has to go thru a hunter saftey course. It's a real good program and things are set up very nicely in Iowa.

Just for a record my arsenal includes:

.22 rifle

20 gauge shotgun

.306 high powered rifle

and of course, my blowgun....:lol:

That doe didn't go real far. Right in the heart.

One kid I wrestled with had all sorts of guns. Well, actually his dad did. They have a safe in their basement, that is a walkin. They had somewhere round 20 rifles, and 20 handguns, and bow and arrows, and so much artillery. I would bet they had even more than I am remembering right now. It was his father's and a neighbors stuff, they put it together. He took me in there one time, it was f***ed up.

It might surprise some people considering how liberal I am, but I think the real anti-gun nuts and the "I'll die before I give up my guns" groups are both wacko. Hunting deer helps with population control, is a source of food....in Iowa you can donate a deer to the prison system to prvide food for prisoners. The dumb deer get elimnated....the stronger and smarter traits get passed on....It's a crazy cycle but we'd be hitting many more deer and more would starve without hunting.