Let the durham deal die already

toasty

There is good and bad regarding this trade. Most of us don't know the nitty gritty behind the scenes, but the fact of the matter is that Ray busted his ass for us for years--always hustled and played hard. Now, if he wanted to be traded to a contender, then trade him. If he doesn't, don't trade him in midseason. He deserved that consideration. But we do not know Ray's thoughts on that. Another fact is that he was below average defensively with a high salary. We all knew he was going to be gone for 2003. Atkins was probably as good a prospect that we could get--no one knows for sure. Time will tell if he's any good. But when Oakland first tried to talk Kenny into paying the balance of Ray's salary, we should have walked. Stupid is as stupid does. Same with the Howry and Alomar trades. If we trade a player to your team in mid-season, then you pay his remaining salary. And if we do pick up the balance of Ray's salary, don't cry poor mouth in your next breath.

Adkins, Jon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

International League» Charlotte Knights 07/28 to 09/01

W L SV ERA G IP H R ER BB KO HR

4 2 0 3.69 8 46.1 47 20 19 12 31 4

Pacific Coast League» Sacramento River Cats 04/08 to 07/22

W L SV ERA G IP H R ER BB KO HR

7 6 0 6.03 20 97.0 139 74 65 33 76 9

Adkins stats improved drastically after moving to charlotte.... the era needs a bit of help but this season at charlotte will tell the tale....

Adkins got absolutely SHELLED in the Arizona fall league, though.

And for the record, Ray had agreed to sign a 2 year deal for less than was being reported. He left the park 2 days before he was traded being told "you're staying". He offered to clean out his locker so he wouldn't have to come back! They stabbed him in the back.

I would like to see documented proof of that for the record.

Ray's word is good enough for me. I've known Ray for 6 years and Crystal for almost 8 years. I was friends with Crystal before she even met Ray and was dating JB.

I'm not going to get into anymore details about who and what I may or may not know.. but a lot of people at WSI and the AOL boards know my facts are facts.

Besides, Ray would not lie.

i been waiting for you to post, i know you are the one with all the sox info and connections. good to see ya.

And for the record, Ray had agreed to sign a 2 year deal for less than was being reported. He left the park 2 days before he was traded being told "you're staying". He offered to clean out his locker so he wouldn't have to come back! They stabbed him in the back.

Ray's word is good enough for me. I've known Ray for 6 years and Crystal for almost 8 years. I was friends with Crystal before she even met Ray and was dating JB.

I'm not going to get into anymore details about who and what I may or may not know.. but a lot of people at WSI and the AOL boards know my facts are facts.

Steff...I respect that knowledge and want to thank you for your insite.

I think that the Sox would have an awesome lineup if they had Durham here with Jimenez at short leading off and Jose Valentin somewhere else.

I've said this for a while. Think of a lineup with

Jimenez

Durham

Thomas

Ordonez

Konerko

Caballo

Manos

Crede

Olivo

That would be really good, and Ray is a way better offensive player then Jose; He's a better base stealer, and is a better #2 hitter then Manos.

Oh ya, Ray is also better defensively at second with Jimenez at short, then having Jose at short. We are also paying Jose quite a bit.

Of course, that isn't an option anymore, but I always wish we would of kept Ray. I loved his hustle and all that stuff. He did have his mental lapses, but he always was very cool.

What your saying Steff, it would definately explain why he lashed out at the organization after the trade. He always said he loved the Sox and said how he'd take less and all that stuff. Those are things he was quoted with the year before he was dealt or so.

the problem with the durham deal imo is it tells other GM's that when dealing with kenny if you low ball him eventually he will give in and not walk...if we are in the same situation this july (knock on wood) look for the same thing to happen....if KW would have played hardball and just said no then other GM's know he is serious when he says he wants equal value back..

reminds of the baldwin situation...everyone was like atleast he got something...he did??...every player from the deal is gone now..never pitching an inning for the sox...

when steff says something about info about the sox, it is best to listen to him. i found him to be on the dime.

the trading of ray was not a cost effective idea but something else. if i remember, ray has been vocal about kw. then again, i may be wrong on this one.

the trading of ray was not a cost effective idea but something else. if i remember, ray has been vocal about kw. then again, i may be wrong on this one.

You're correct, LDF... Ray had no problems vocalizing his displeasure with the Baldwin trade. Ironic he'd later be part of an even worse one.

You're correct, LDF... Ray had no problems vocalizing his displeasure with the Baldwin trade. Ironic he'd later be part of an even worse one.

the idea of trading ray in order to get something in return is a bunch of bull. some are really getting distracted by this.

i been waiting for you to post, i know you are the one with all the sox info and connections. good to see ya.

Good to see you, too, LDF. While most of my connections are playing for other teams now, I still get a few bones thrown my way :D . Soon, I'm just going to cut the chase and go knock on Kenny's door :rolleyes: