ROCKET SIGNS WITH ASTROS

spataro51

It will only be better than the Cubs' rotation until the Cubs sign Greg Maddux.

Unlike the Sox, who are hoping to back into a division title in the worst division in baseball, the Cubs are actually going out and signing quality players in an effort to WIN something.

I really hate to say this stuff, but to ignore the truth is futile.

They may win something, they may not, but at least they're trying....

It will only be better than the Cubs' rotation until the Cubs sign Greg Maddux.

Unlike the Sox, who are hoping to back into a division title in the worst division in baseball, the Cubs are actually going out and signing quality players in an effort to WIN something.

I really hate to say this stuff, but to ignore the truth is futile.

They may win something, they may not, but at least they're trying....

You could be right, but I think the Cardinals will end up with Maddux.

Everything I've been reading leans toward the Cardinals backing off.

They signed the mighty Julian Tavarez, so they can't afford Maddux.

I'm sure other teams are waiting for Maddux's price to go down, but if Hendry can get the Trib to open the purse a little further, Maddux will end up back in blue pinstripes, IMO.

Negotiations have been oh so quiet, but Maddux, Cubs still not close

Posted January 12, 2004

By Barry Rozner

Unless there's a dramatic change in the Cubs' philosophy over the next 24-48 hours, fans can stop dreaming of a return to Chicago for Greg Maddux.

A Cubs source said Sunday night that the team was trying to scrape up money for an offer befitting the future Hall of Famer, but that the team probably wasn't going to be able to match significant offers from two other clubs.

As reported here more than a month ago, Maddux's first choice was to return to Chicago to end his career with the Cubs, hopefully with another World Series ring in his pocket and his 300th victory in the bank.

Since then, negotiations have been quietly ongoing, sources on both sides have been telling us for weeks.

The Cubs have tried to downplay expectations of a Maddux return because another failure to sign Maddux would be heartbreaking to the fans who still haven't gotten over the Stan Cook-Larry Himes disaster of 1991-1992.

The Cubs have to deny it for public-relations reasons, but the fact is talks have been slow but consistent, with Maddux waiting to see if the Cubs would emerge from the pack with a respectable offer.

Sources close to Maddux say he already has on the table two major offers (rumored to be from the Cardinals and the Orioles), and several smaller ones from teams hoping to get him at a ridiculously reduced price.

The Giants also are thought to be entering the fray.

The problem, Cubs general manager Jim Hendry is probably thinking, is that if he somehow finds the extra money it would take to sign a Maddux and/or a Pudge Rodriguez, he would leave no funds available for midseason acquisitions.

As dominant as the Cubs would look by adding Maddux and/or Rodriguez, you can never forecast injuries, and Hendry is smart to worry about contingencies.

However, the Cubs might be able to run out to such a big lead in the NL Central that they won't have to worry about finding the next Randall Simon and Kenny Lofton.

Besides, the Cubs could make a fortune off these guys and earn their money back plus some when they're playing meaningful games in August and September.

No, they can't sell many more tickets than they already have without two more big names, and it's a hard sell to ownership when it knows it can win the division without any more signings.

But imagine the TV ratings when Maddux is going for No. 300.

Imagine the ad rates the Cubs could charge down the stretch when they're attempting to clinch.

Imagine the fun this would be.

Maddux is no fool, and neither are Cubs fans. Everyone knows the market is shrinking and there aren't any better places for Maddux to pitch.

He wants to win. He wants to stay in the National League. He wants to pitch at least two more years. He wants to be paid a reasonable wage. He wants to be within a few hours' flying distance of Las Vegas.

He'd like to come "home'' and give something back to Cubs fans, who still treat him like a king.

Only one team can give him all these things. The Cubs are aware of this and are trying to use that leverage to keep the price down, hoping he will fall into their laps.

But that's not going to happen.

It's really quite simple. If the Cubs don't make a respectable offer very soon, Maddux will find another place to play.

The reason you've heard nothing about these talks in the last month is because Hendry also is no dummy. He knows if this falls apart, he will have to deny negotiations ever took place, or risk alienating Cubs fans.

It's just that there are so many reasons to do it and only one not to: money. The Cubs can find it, and they should.

If they don't, the Cubs still are the team to catch in the NL, and it won't derail their World Series train.

But it sure will take some of the steam out of it.

Excellent addition by the Astro's. They get a pitcher who has proven time and time again that he can pitch at a high level despite his advancing age. And not only that. He's a proven PLAYOFF pitcher. Now the Astros have four guys capable of 15 plus wins. And they got depth now with Redding, Robertson, Duckworth, and Hernandez. So now they have better starting pitching and hitting then the Cubs do. I haven't really broken down the bullpens yet. You know the funny thing. If Oswalt is healthy and makes his 30 plus starts I think the Stro's win the division LAST year. Now it's pretty much a wrap...

Negotiations have been oh so quiet, but Maddux, Cubs still not close

Posted January 12, 2004

By Barry Rozner

Unless there's a dramatic change in the Cubs' philosophy over the next 24-48 hours, fans can stop dreaming of a return to Chicago for Greg Maddux.

A Cubs source said Sunday night that the team was trying to scrape up money for an offer befitting the future Hall of Famer, but that the team probably wasn't going to be able to match significant offers from two other clubs.

As reported here more than a month ago, Maddux's first choice was to return to Chicago to end his career with the Cubs, hopefully with another World Series ring in his pocket and his 300th victory in the bank.

Since then, negotiations have been quietly ongoing, sources on both sides have been telling us for weeks.

The Cubs have tried to downplay expectations of a Maddux return because another failure to sign Maddux would be heartbreaking to the fans who still haven't gotten over the Stan Cook-Larry Himes disaster of 1991-1992.

The Cubs have to deny it for public-relations reasons, but the fact is talks have been slow but consistent, with Maddux waiting to see if the Cubs would emerge from the pack with a respectable offer.

Sources close to Maddux say he already has on the table two major offers (rumored to be from the Cardinals and the Orioles), and several smaller ones from teams hoping to get him at a ridiculously reduced price.

The Giants also are thought to be entering the fray.

The problem, Cubs general manager Jim Hendry is probably thinking, is that if he somehow finds the extra money it would take to sign a Maddux and/or a Pudge Rodriguez, he would leave no funds available for midseason acquisitions.

As dominant as the Cubs would look by adding Maddux and/or Rodriguez, you can never forecast injuries, and Hendry is smart to worry about contingencies.

However, the Cubs might be able to run out to such a big lead in the NL Central that they won't have to worry about finding the next Randall Simon and Kenny Lofton.

Besides, the Cubs could make a fortune off these guys and earn their money back plus some when they're playing meaningful games in August and September.

No, they can't sell many more tickets than they already have without two more big names, and it's a hard sell to ownership when it knows it can win the division without any more signings.

But imagine the TV ratings when Maddux is going for No. 300.

Imagine the ad rates the Cubs could charge down the stretch when they're attempting to clinch.

Imagine the fun this would be.

Maddux is no fool, and neither are Cubs fans. Everyone knows the market is shrinking and there aren't any better places for Maddux to pitch.

He wants to win. He wants to stay in the National League. He wants to pitch at least two more years. He wants to be paid a reasonable wage. He wants to be within a few hours' flying distance of Las Vegas.

He'd like to come "home'' and give something back to Cubs fans, who still treat him like a king.

Only one team can give him all these things. The Cubs are aware of this and are trying to use that leverage to keep the price down, hoping he will fall into their laps.

But that's not going to happen.

It's really quite simple. If the Cubs don't make a respectable offer very soon, Maddux will find another place to play.

The reason you've heard nothing about these talks in the last month is because Hendry also is no dummy. He knows if this falls apart, he will have to deny negotiations ever took place, or risk alienating Cubs fans.

It's just that there are so many reasons to do it and only one not to: money. The Cubs can find it, and they should.

If they don't, the Cubs still are the team to catch in the NL, and it won't derail their World Series train.

But it sure will take some of the steam out of it.

That's great to hear :D

I've actually read where since the Mets could not get Vlad, they are going to try to get Maddux with that money. And because Baltimore could not get Vlad, they will probably go out and get IRod now.

For anti-Cubs fans(myself included), I think it's great news. Two guys the Cubs were hoping to sign because their price was going down are probably going to end up in different places.

Also, it is a great move by Houston. They undoubtedly have one of the best rotations in the majors by far. I just hope that the bandbox they play in doesn't effect their numbers too incredibly.

The only think that worries me about the Clemens thing is the structure of his starts.. I know it was rumored that he'd only pitch at home and that he possibly would not be required to travel with the team. I think that might set a bad example.. has there been any word about those 2 things..?

The only think that worries me about the Clemens thing is the structure of his starts..  I know it was rumored that he'd only pitch at home and that he possibly would not be required to travel with the team. I think that might set a bad example.. has there been any word about those 2 things..?

5 million dollars a year for a part-time pitcher? I don't think Clemens woulda signed if that was the case. He's too competitive. He'll make his 30 plus starts assuming he's healthy...

5 million dollars a year for a part-time pitcher?  I don't think Clemens woulda signed if that was the case.  He's too competitive.  He'll make his 30 plus starts assuming he's healthy...

IIRC, I think he wanted to be home more... and would welcome a semi-PT gig. Does anyone else remember hearing anything like this..??

The only think that worries me about the Clemens thing is the structure of his starts..  I know it was rumored that he'd only pitch at home and that he possibly would not be required to travel with the team. I think that might set a bad example.. has there been any word about those 2 things..?

I'm watching Mike and the MadDog on YES, which is the Yankee Cable channel. Anywho they said Clemens would not make EXTENDED road trips. I haven't seen anything in print yet.

I'm watching Mike and the MadDog on YES, which is the Yankee Cable channel. Anywho they said Clemens would not make EXTENDED road trips. I haven't seen anything in print yet.

That sounds very close to what I remember hearing...

Scary precedent, IMO.

And since they will spend so much on a second cather, it leaves the Sox with an oppertunity to grab Ponson. So it will all work out. Hopefully.

'04... no offense to you at all.. and I love your optimism... but Sidney is most likely going to be back with Baltimore this year.. and if not them.. he wont be with the Sox.

I know, but you never know. Everyone here for being Sox fans are pesimistic.

It's got nothing to do with optimism or pessimism... The deal that the Sox offered Sidney was sick. He said he told Barry not even to take their (the Sox) calls anymore.