ROCKET SIGNS WITH ASTROS

spataro51

IIRC, I think he wanted to be home more... and would welcome a semi-PT gig.  Does anyone else remember hearing anything like this..??

I also heard that Rocket would be able to skip road trips where he wasn't scheduled to pitch, and that they would try to keep his turns mostly at home. Don't know if this has changed or not.

Clemens had an extended interview with Dan Patrick and nothing was said about him skipping road trips. Roger did say he'd get to see his sons' games more often, but that can be accomplished when the 'Stros are at home.

However, Steff, I recall hearing that it would be a possibility that he'd skip some road trips back when the unretirement rumors started.

However, Steff, I recall hearing that it would be a possibility that he'd skip some road trips back when the unretirement rumors started.

YAS.. why do you say "unretirement"...? I've never seen where he's stated he was "retired"...?

YAS.. why do you say "unretirement"...? I've never seen where he's stated he was "retired"...?

Though he never officially "retired" with the MLB offices, he said all through 2003 that it would be the last season for him. An assumed retirement maybe? :D

I actually posted about clemens unretireing. I just had the price wrong (5mil not 4) Roger supposedly told friends he was going to pitch for the stros. They were right. Hey, I called it.. :D

This was mentioned the day after the WS when someone slipped and said Andy was going to the Stros - supposedly the source was a family member. Roger's been vocal about wanting to be home.. and yet not wanting to stop playing. IMO he only "retired" to play in the Olympic team (can't play as a pro) and since they didn't make it - he went back to pro.

Also.. did you guys hear that over 1000 people called after the announcement to give deposits for season tickets... ?? Sweet for the Stros!

I know it was rumored that he'd only pitch at home and that he possibly would not be required to travel with the team. I think that might set a bad example.. has there been any word about those 2 things..?

Steff,

Milo Hamilton, the Astros broadcaster did an interview Monday afternoon on a local station down here and he was asked that question. He said that would not be the case and Clemens himself nixed the idea. He felt it wouldn't be fair to his teammates or coaching staff and that if he was going to come back, he was going to do it the right way.

Hamilton also said that the Astros ticket office was having trouble handling all the calls after the announcement. He said they were ringing so heavily, many people couldn't get through. FWTW

Steff,

Milo Hamilton, the Astros broadcaster did an interview Monday afternoon on a local station down here and he was asked that question.  He said that would not be the case and Clemens himself nixed the idea.  He felt it wouldn't be fair to his teammates or coaching staff and that if he was going to come back, he was going to do it the right way.

Hamilton also said that the Astros ticket office was having trouble handling all the calls after the announcement.  He said they were ringing so heavily, many people couldn't get through.  FWTW

Thanks Rex.