Sox sleepers to make Playoffs

maggsmaggs

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1712802

Fair prediction to the White Sox, they will have to hope for Konerko to return to form and this team will go. Now we actually have a top of the order guy named Willie Harris. If he is pacient, his OBP will be solid and he'll steal 50 bases. Expect him to bat .265 with the steals and stellar "D" at second. I think his will and heart will drive to be very solid for us. By the Way, Maggs is hitting .500 in the Venezuelan playoffs or Caribbean World Series, one of those.

I also predict us to win about 80 games, mainly due to little pitching and a weaker offense then we had last year with a slightly better manager who will lead us to more wins against cellar dwelling teams.

Fair prediction, no?

We'll just have to wait and see what shakes down.

How can we miss the playoffs?!

We have a 3 man starting rotation, a weakened bullpen, terrible team defense, no team speed, etc.,

Willie Harris will be lucky to hit .250

Aaron Rowand is NOT an every day CF.

Valentin will be lucky to hit .240

I forgot...our bench sucks too!

I bet the Yankees, Bosox, Royals, A's, Angels, Mariners, etc., are really nervous about the Whitesox juggernaut!

I also predict us to win about 80 games, mainly due to little pitching and a weaker offense then we had last year with a slightly better manager who will lead us to more wins against cellar dwelling teams.

Fair prediction, no?

We'll just have to wait and see what shakes down.

I believe that's a fair prediction. I just can't understand why they would put Minnesota as a "for real" team.....However, this is just all predictions. They do have to play the games...

How can we miss the playoffs?!

We have a 3 man starting rotation, a weakened bullpen, terrible team defense, no team speed, etc.,

Willie Harris will be lucky to hit .250

Aaron Rowand is NOT an every day CF.

Valentin will be lucky to hit .240

I forgot...our bench sucks too!

I bet the Yankees, Bosox, Royals, A's, Angels,  Mariners, etc., are really nervous about the Whitesox juggernaut!

"We have a 3 man starting rotation, a weakened bullpen, terrible team defense, no team speed, etc.,"

No we have a 5 man rotation. Look at it this way, would you rather the Sox go with a guy like Dan Wright in that number 4 spot, or take a chance on Shoe and Robert Person? (who has had success in the major leagues) Cooper will work with these guys, and with all of our choices we have two starters worthy for the number 4 and 5 spots will emerge. Jon Rauch has done well in a couple starts at the Major League level. We'll find two guys that will get the job done.

Terrible team defense? I don't think so, if I remember correctly weren't we ranked pretty highly in the American League defensively last year? Konerko is average defensively, Harris has a ton of range, Valentin could be a problem, Crede is sound defensively, Lee has matured, Rowand hustles his ass off, Maggs is sound defensively, and Olivo and Alomar are both pretty sound defensively. So I'm not quite sure where you think our weakness in our defense is...

Weakend pen? So we lost Sully and Gordon.....okay, but we signed Cliff Politte, who was pretty solid in 2002. Politte will be much better off in the set-up position. As for Koch, I don't think he can have a s***ty year two years in a row if works hard. Plus who knows what guys like Santiago, Ginter, Diaz, Adkins, Darensbourg, Munoz etc could do for our pen. Not to mention the fact that everyone kind of questioned the move when Kenny signed Gordon to a one year contract last year, he turned out better than we thought didn't he? Out of all of those guys listed above one or two will contribute to our team.

No team speed? Okay fine maybe. Konerko is slow as hell, I'll give you that. But Willie Harris, Rowand, Maggs, Valentin, Lee, Uribe, Olivo and others have average or above average speed.

"Willie Harris will be lucky to hit .250"

That may be true, but is it possible he COULD hit above .250? I think Harris has the potential to hit .270-.290 in his first year if he learns how to bunt effectively and often.

"Aaron Rowand is NOT an every day CF."

He isn't? How do you know? What chances has he gotten to prove himself worthy? I remember last season the reason the Sox got hot was because of two guys that get dogged constantly around here, Willie Harris and Aaron Rowand. That's when Kenny made the moves for Roberto and Carl.

"Valentin will be lucky to hit .240"

Alright, I have to agree. Jose has got to step it up, he was pathetic at the plate last year. I'm willing to give him a chance, but if he can't produce I'd like to see Uribe get a shot to play short.

"I forgot...our bench sucks too!"

To be honest with you, I have no idea what are bench even looks like yet....

Uribe? Gload? Another outfielder? Borchard? I heard we invited Marvin Benard to spring training, if that's true than he'd be a great guy on the bench. I think it's still to early to rate our bench.

"I bet the Yankees, Bosox, Royals, A's, Angels, Mariners, etc., are really nervous about the Whitesox juggernaut!"

Let them not be nervous, who the hell was afraid of the Florida Marlins at the beginning of 2003 last year?

A lot can happen in a year. Don't take my disagreements personally, I'm glad you posted this so I could respond and contribute to this thread. I know you might think I'm an extreme optimist, or just plain insane. Well, I'm both. :D

Here's to a central division championship in 04 :cheers

Terrible team defense? I don't think so, if I remember correctly weren't we ranked pretty highly in the American League defensively last year? Konerko is average defensively, Harris has a ton of range, Valentin could be a problem, Crede is sound defensively, Lee has matured, Rowand hustles his ass off, Maggs is sound defensively, and Olivo and Alomar are both pretty sound defensively. So I'm not quite sure where you think our weakness in our defense is...

I believe it was ranked 3rd in the AL....I'm having trouble finding a link though.

Were not a top 5 defensive team, looking at all the stats you want. Konerko has limited range, we have Harris at 2B instead of Alomar, Maggs and Lee are average(but improving), Crede's still young, but improving, and Valentin can be bad at times. The only place we are real good is CF with Rowand.

We're average if you ask me. Not good, not bad.

hey israel,

let me buy you a plain ticket back there

and i also think there is a cubs message board somewhere u can join

There is no need to call anyone out on this, just because he has different views doesn't necessarily mean he's a Cub fan.

and it would be "plane" not "plain"

CWSOX45

Were not a top 5 defensive team, looking at all the stats you want.  Konerko has limited range, we have Harris at 2B instead of Alomar, Maggs and Lee are average(but improving), Crede's still young, but improving, and Valentin can be bad at times.  The only place we are real good is CF with Rowand.

We're average if you ask me.  Not good, not bad.

You're correct, we may not be in the top 5 in the league in defense this year.

I'm was not saying that we were going to be, I was just saying that our defense is far better than some posters think it is. The only concern I have defensively is Jose Valentin. We SHOULD be alright at the other positions.

CWSOX45

There is no need to call anyone out on this, just because he has different views doesn't necessarily mean he's a Cub fan.

and it would be "plane" not "plain"

CWSOX45

I totally agree. That's what soxtalk is for. To have different views on any subject. I don't even want to hear "cubs" on any convo. discussing the "sox team" :headbang :bringit

How does a team win 86 games, lose half the team, sign nobody and have a better chance?  I envy some people's ability to lie to themselves.

Easy, look at the other teams in our division. What have they done to better themselves? Sure the Twins got some pretty good prospects in the trade for Pierzynski, and got some more arms for their pen, but they are worse than last years team that won 90 games.

As for Kansas City, jesus look at their staff. It's the same staff we absolutly crushed last year.

In my opinion this team would have been fine with Harris and Rowand the whole year last year, the only two guys I will miss are Colon and Gordon. I think we've already replaced Gordon in Cliff Politte (think what you want of him, but I think he's a quality pitcher) So the only addition we need is a starting pitcher or two to eat up some of those innings. I'm not expecting a trade for Jarrod Washburn, but I think Kenny will find us another starter sometime before spring training.

I don't care how delusional some people think I am, this team can win this division.

CWSOX45

I don't care how delusional some people think I am, this team can win this division.

C'mon Yeehaw!!!! :headbang

2004 AL Central Champion SOX!!! :cheers

P.S. What the f*** fun is it if you expect your team to lose? s***, going into each Trail Blazers game I expect them to win, even though they haven't been doing to much of that. Call it "lying to yourself" or whatever, I just think it makes watching the games a hell of alot more fun. (Insert "GO SOX" smiley here, which I'm not sure why we don't have one)

Alright, well even if they somehow fulfill all the potential (a BIG if with this team), and the Royals and Twins roll over, and the Sox take the division, are they really anywhere? They'll have to play either New York or Boston in the first round. Will another first round exit really satisfy anyone here?

You play to get into the playoffs, once your there anything can and has happened.

You can not put the cart before the horse, and you can not be such a defeatist. These are just teams, and if you can not think of a scenario where your team wins 11 games that really is a bigger problem than talking on a message board will solve.

The Sox had the second best record in the AL in the second half last year, they lost to the Tigers more than any other team. They beat the Yankees 2 out of 3 times in Yankee stadium, they took it to the Red Sox and lost some close games.

Had they made it to the playoffs anything could of happened, I would give anything to get the Sox into the playoffs, it all starts there.

SB

hey israel,

let me buy you a plain ticket back there

and i also think there is a cubs message board somewhere u can join

Guys...the Sox aren't as good as they were last year, and we didn't make the playoffs then!

The Royals are better than they were, and we didn't gain much, if any ground on the Twins either.

If you think Grilli and Politte can make up for the losses of "Flash" and Sullivan, you're hitting the bong way too hard!

I love the Sox as much, if not more than anyone, but, I'm realistic! I'm not drinking the "Whitesox koolaid" as an idiot Chicago sports talk radio guy would say.

To be a playoff contender, you need to be strong up the middle. I have no problem with Olivo or Alomar defensively, neither one hits too well. We have a BIG question mark at 2B, crap at SS, and another question mark in CF.

I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't bet on it.

(By the way, I was born in Chicago, and have never been to Israel, though I'd love to go!)