"Feel Good" Story about Neal Cotts

BridgeportHeather

This'll make you love Neal Cotts even more than you already do: http://www.redbirds/../story.taf?_id=3291

This is the type of guy we want in our organization, and I'm glad that the Sox have rights to him! Let's hope that KW doesn't boneheadedly deal him away.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A not-so-feel-good story has Jimenez not only finishing strong with Cincinatii but absolutely TEARING UP winter league (something like .500 OBP, 600 Slugg in 100 ab while playing in a pitcher's park).

The funniest part is that he is not nearly as slow as people make him out to be and with some work, as a converted SS could one day be a mediocre-fielding 2B..

Here's to hoping Harris has 750 OPS and makes us forget about DJ.

A not-so-feel-good story has Jimenez not only finishing strong with Cincinatii but absolutely TEARING UP winter league (something like .500 OBP, 600 Slugg in 100 ab while playing in a pitcher's park). 

The funniest part is that he is not nearly as slow as people make him out to be and with some work, as a converted SS could one day be a mediocre-fielding 2B..

Here's to hoping Harris has 750 OPS and makes us forget about DJ.

DJ sucked when he was here. I've already forgotten about him.

DJ sucked when he was here.  I've already forgotten about him.

Getting rid of cheap Jimenez was a SO dumb: he was good in September, he was good in March, he was goof in April, he was good in May, he was terrible in June.....then he went to be being good in July, so-so in August and again good in September as well as AWESOME in November-December....

Do you see any pattern emerging? He speed was ok and defesively he had better stats than Robbie did in 2003.

When Willie clocks in at 550 OPS in 2004 and we blow, you'll remember Jimi-Jim.

The pattern is outside of Ray Durham the Sox have not had a good 2b in a long damn time.

Jimenez will have a 375 OBP, 465 Slug; will be 10 for 14 in sb; and will play pleasantly surprising mediocre defense in 2004. Mark my words.

What will Willie do?

Yes, but somehow I doubt DJ is the difference between first and third place.

Yes, who needs (what I believe to be) a 375 OBP lead off guy with solid speed for Rowand to bunt over for a base-hit and for Frank and Maggs to drive in, setting the tempo from inning 1 and taking some pressure off our pitcherr.......Blazing saddles Willie and his magical 240 OBP will suffice.

When we were ass-pounding people and taking names in April and June 2000, it was the chain-reaction effect that did the trick-- the entire team was feeding off one another and picking each ova up during slumps....In that respect, ONE player can make a big difference early on ala Lofton did with us early in 2002 and then with Giants and Cubs in subsequent seasons.

Jimenez will never be a good fielder but he a SS's arm and his ZR was actually much better than Robbie's was in 2003 even considering how bloody awfuk DJ was in June, what with all the dropped DPs and all....

Armando Rios should have been the one gotten rid of and Jimenez should have been optioned to AAA for further review. People say now he looks extreemky energized and kicked some MAJOR winder league ass, looking very sharp.

People said same things about Insano Artest....how is THAT trade looking right about now? Solid D, nearly 20 points a game, rebounds, passes, distrupts defensive schemes, etc.

Jimenez looked pretty good with us except for one truly terrible month and now they say he is murdering winter league pitching....He is ready to break out.

Career .346 OBP player, given up on by 3 teams now. I agree that it should have been Rios who got the boot, but I can hardly blame the Sox for getting rid of DJ. Like YASNY said, he was not exactly the headiest player. And winter ball means nothing to me. If he's re-focused, that's wonderful, but this team has more holes than just 2B that sit between them and a pennant; namely, seven pitchers.

People said same things about Insano Artest....how is THAT trade looking right about now? Solid D, nearly 20 points a game, rebounds, passes, distrupts defensive schemes, etc. 

Jimenez looked pretty good with us except for one truly terrible month and now they say he is murdering winter league pitching....He is ready to break out.

I always loved Artest ... He was intense. Jiminez plays with his head planted firmly up his ass.

Remember, those same people that call Jimenez unheady would of given up on Carlos Lee a long time ago and now he's turning into one of the more liked players (I'll admit...at times I've wanted Carlos gone if they could of gotten value for him).

This winter, Jimenez hit .360 and set a record for 2nd baseman of some sort (Either OBP or Average, i forget..that or he flirted with it). Of course its winter, but Jimenez is going to be a very good on base kind of guy.

People always had it in for him and I realize every once in a while he made a gaffe, but when he made a gaffe people went nuts. Folks, Angel fans used to do the same for Garret Anderson, who almost never looks like he's running hard or anything like that.

Oh well, enough of me defending Jimenez, unfortunately he's gone and yes, he was one of my favorite players. I absolutely loved his swing.

Remember, those same people that call Jimenez unheady would of given up on Carlos Lee a long time ago and now he's turning into one of the more liked players (I'll admit...at times I've wanted Carlos gone if they could of gotten value for him). 

This winter, Jimenez hit .360 and set a record for 2nd baseman of some sort (Either OBP or Average, i forget..that or he flirted with it).  Of course its winter, but Jimenez is going to be a very good on base kind of guy. 

People always had it in for him and I realize every once in a while he made a gaffe, but when he made a gaffe people went nuts.  Folks, Angel fans used to do the same for Garret Anderson, who almost never looks like he's running hard or anything like that. 

Oh well, enough of me defending Jimenez, unfortunately he's gone and yes, he was one of my favorite players.  I absolutely loved his swing.

When the season opened last year, I liked Jiminez. he was the only one hitting with any consistency and was the only spark the team had. But his play and the stuff we were hearing about him coming from the clubhouse made me turn on him fast. He just didn't seem to be a good guy to have around the club .... on the field or in the clubhouse.

I agree that it should have been Rios who got the boot, but I can hardly blame the Sox for getting rid of DJ.

Have you ever wondered WHY managers, coaches and GMs make the obscene amounts of dough that they do, and just what separates good ones from the not so good ones?

It's in tough, RISK cases like Billy Koch (what's wrong with him and can it be fixed?) and Jimenez (the lazy asshole is very talented but how do we keep him focused and motivated?) that EARN the big dogs their paycheck and respect.

Worst case scenario, if he didn't hit at AAA and wouldn't progress in Winter ball Sox could have released him coming into 2004 spring traning with no problem....But no, Kenny just had to pull the trigger, the incompetent shmuck.

Have you ever wondered WHY managers, coaches and GMs make the obscene amounts of dough that they do, and just what separates good ones from the not so good ones?

It's in tough, RISK cases like Billy Koch (what's wrong with him and can it be fixed?)  and Jimenez (the lazy asshole is very talented but how do we keep him focused and motivated?)  that EARN the big dogs their paycheck and respect.   

Worst case scenario, if he didn't hit at AAA and wouldn't progress in Winter ball Sox could have released him coming into 2004 spring traning with no problem....But no, Kenny just had to pull the trigger, the incompetent shmuck.

Apparently, he felt that he had to get him off the team. He could not just send him to AAA. He had to trade him or let him walk.