Aussie Open

DBAHO

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Federer dominates, 3 sets to love.

The first set was entertaining, but then Federer turned it on, and Safin did not.  It almost looked like Safin was tired out there.

He played sumthin like 16 hours of Tennis bf today's match. Federer bought his "A" game today and when he does NOBODY can beat him. He's a deserved no. 1 in da world now. Roddick can challenge him again if he works on improvin his backhand and becomin a smarter playa at da net.

Yeah, after barely crawling past Agassi, it was clear Marat had NO chance against much more rested (and more talented) Federer.

As DBAH0 mentioned, when Roger is at his best, there is not a single aspect of the game he doesn't excel at. His serves and volleys are damn good, but his backcourt game is even better. The only knock on him coming into 2003 Wimbleton was his less-than-desired fitness (chubby) and some emotional inconsistencies that plague young players. It seems he's gone a long way toward improving both.

Against Safin, you could only look at winner/unforced errors ratio (Federer had more winners than errors while Safin had twice as many errors as winners) OR the fact that Federer had a whopping 18 break-point chances in only 3 sets on Safin's mighty serve.....to get an idea who should have won the match.

Good tournament overall. Sadly, Andre fell just a bit short (hope he plays through 2006), but I liked Roger since the juniors, always thought he'd be great, so I might root for him in the future. BILF won the women's.

They are moving AO to March beginning 2005, btw.

Yeah, after barely crawling past Agassi, it was clear Marat had NO chance against much more rested (and more talented)  Federer.

As DBAH0 mentioned, when Roger is at his best, there is not a single aspect of the game he doesn't excel at. His serves and volleys are damn good, but his backcourt game is even better.    The only knock on him coming into 2003 Wimbleton was his less-than-desired fitness (chubby) and some emotional inconsistencies that plague young players. It seems he's gone a long way toward improving both.

Against Safin, you could only look at winner/unforced errors ratio (Federer had more winners than errors while Safin had twice as many errors as winners)  OR the fact that Federer had a whopping 18 break-point chances in only 3 sets on Safin's  mighty serve.....to get an idea who should have won the match.

Good tournament overall. Sadly, Andre fell just a bit short (hope he plays through 2006), but I liked Roger since the juniors, always thought he'd be great,  so I might root for him in the future.  BILF won the women's. 

They are moving AO to March beginning 2005, btw.

Tennis Australia is goin to do all they can to keep the Open goin in Janaury since that's when it's School Holidays hence bigger crowds and more tickets sold. But the players do deserve more of a rest, mayb they should move the Masters Series final earlier and allow for a bigga break that way.

Looks like America is goin to play Sweden in the next round of the Davis Cup afta they beat Australia. Bjorkman just beat Phillipousis in straight sets and played unbelievably well. I hope he plays Roddick in the next round, cos those 2 are my fav playa's. :D

Who were the Americans in the doubles that won on Friday in the Cup... they both had the same last name (brothers) ?  I've never heard of them...

Mike and Bob Bryan. They're the no.1 ranked doubles pair in the world.