Dem Primary Elections

CubsSuck1

2k4 - not to argue but to learn: why will you not vote for Kerry?  who do you not want to vote for Bush?  (I disagree with you on the econ thing, the % of deficit is highest and adding to the total deficit is just putting us where the USSR was economically in 1988 - juist before bankruptcy hits - but no need for us to argue that ehre and now, we have uintil November for that, I am curious for the sake of learning why not Kerry and why not Bush but why Bush over Kerry)

As of yet, I don't think the taxcuts should be resinded. I don't think they should be permanent either, but it is way to early in the recovery, and I think it would pull the plug on corporate spending sending us into a double dip of recession. That is the big issue. IIRC didn't Kerry also vote for the war with Iraq? To me that is an awful big thing to flipflop on. The only acceptable reason IMO to change opinions on that, is not because we had bad intellegence, but because one felt someone lied to us. (I know it is probably schematics, but you have to either constantly trust or not trust your intellegence, wrong intellegence is part of the game, lying isn't)

I personally, do not want to vote for Bush. And actually the handling of the budget is one of the good examples of the deception that pisses me off about him. We all know that in 2005 there will be money going to Iraq and Afganistan, put it in the budget. He just didn't want to make the number look any worse than it was obviously, but still it is BS, IMO.

And if you don't mind keeping going on this US deficit as a % of GDP (which is the truest measure) is at historically comperable levels, and is actually appreciablely lower than many wartimes. That is why the democrats are attacking the # and not the percentage. I know I am going to hear flack for this, but a government with a surplus is not supposed to happen, and isn't economically viable over a long term.

Yes.

A month ago Howard Dean was the frontrunner and everyone said that he was garunteed to win. Guess what, things change. Why should a guy like edwards quit when he is in such an upward momentum swing.

Do you think that Sharpton thinks he will win. No he is staying in because he wants to get his issues on the table.

We democrats don't need to pick a candidate now becuase bush is damaging himself. Recent figures show his approval rating down below 50%. With Unemployment over 6% history says that he has not shot and gaining reelection. Only FDR has done it with over 6% unemployment.

John Edwards in 2004 is the best choice

A month ago no one had cast any votes either. Now about 15% of the electoral delegates have been determined. Anyone who was calling for an agreement before any votes had been cast was a fool. As of now, barring John Kerry revealing he is an Al Qaida agent, he is going to be the Democratic Nominee for President. And if the Democrats want to save themselves umpteen million dollars and giving Bush more mud to use to sling at them, they need to do the smart thing here.

The odd thing is that only recently have I started to like Dean. I guess I'd like to see Kerry win, but Dean grew on me after looking in to it a tad, though I would have to trust Apu's opinion whatever it may be because he has no doubt put plenty of hours into digging up dirt on all of them.

you alone are thinking that way  :lol:

as long as there is a race, the message is staying out there on the news, dominating the political discussion - once the Democratic race is over, it loses its lead off the news every night status - the best thing is if the remaining candidates run for a few more weeks or several months sharpening their attacks on Bush - this is the regular season sharpening those skills for the post season

and if one goes goofy and attacks the other Dems?  Then that person paints himself into a corner and makes the remaining candidates and ultimate winner look good

as it is we have 3 or 4 guys out there taking on Bush rather than 1 and that is all good -

it is like in baseball - the closer the race, the more news focus- and to combat the $200 millions that Bush has raised the Dems need to continue to get their message out there by a close race and keep the free news focus on

just a few weeks ago we were told to unite behind Dean - look what happened - too early yet - although your tracking pools are saying the voters will unite behind the ultimate candidate - too early yet to close that process - Clark and Kerry made wonderful speeches last night and as the campaign goes on will only get better -

Well all the democratic candidates went goofy attacking Dean in the weeks prior to the Iowa caucus. Thats what knocked him off (NOT HIS Speach, the speach potentially was the final straw).

Well all the democratic candidates went goofy attacking Dean in the weeks prior to the Iowa caucus.  Thats what knocked him off (NOT HIS Speach, the speach potentially was the final straw).

Kucinich and edwards didn't attack dean, but the rest of your point is vailid and a similar thing might be happening to kerry soon

Sorry I missed the big discussion (I love political threads) but between midterm exams, and my second phone line ceasing to work, internet time has been cut down.

Just a few pointers-

1) CW, I think the fact that your true choice is Wesley Clark shows that you are one of the wiser democrats. Clark is one of the more left wing candidates, and when battling an incumbent I think it is better for a party to choose a candidate who is strong on that parties issues. Clark is that man.

Kerry and Edwards are more boring candidates who will not stir up the voters. They are better suited the 2008 election IMO.

Dean and Clark are the only guys who can stir up some juice for the Democratic party and really build some momentum. Unfortunately the risk involved with a candidate like that was exposed when Dean flipped a s*** on that man in Iowa. So it is unfortunate, but we will see Kerry or Edwards on the Democratic Ticket.

2) I think Edwards has to win Virginia and Tennessee to have any hope.

3) I heard an excellent Kerry analogy. The analogy compared Kerry to Dukakis. I believe Dukakis was a Governor, and I was only 1 during the election of '88 but from what i have heard about dukakis it is an excellent analogy. Dukakis is a northeastern governor who the working man in the south does not relate to and seems more like an urbanite than a household man. I see the same in Kerry. Therefore, if Kerry goes on the ticket, George Bush will be in for a second term IMO.

Kucinich and edwards didn't attack dean, but the rest of your point is vailid and a similar thing might be happening to kerry soon

Edwards has not attacked anybody. The guy acts like a f***ing boy scout. Pretty soon he will be walking elderly women across the street in his campaign ads.

He has just spent the last two days trashing Kerry and everyone else for accepting special interest money.

How the hell did I miss that?!

Last night I watched him in an interview on Fox News, and that was not brought up, and Edwards said Kerry is a great man and he would love him as a VP...I thought Fox News asked Dem's the tough questions?

oh well, I can't keep up with everything

Sorry that was Dean not My man Edwards. He doesn't do stuff like that

agreed that was Dean doing the attacking

Edwards has scored many points for not being an attack dog and Dean has lost a credibility (and votes) by being one

as I am in charge of our county's caucus (Michigan, Saturday) I have been watching the tracking numbers and spent part of today watching them complied

Dean may get a decent pre-caucus internet/absentee ballot vote (those have already been cast) but no one is voting for him Saturday

Edwards Kerry

Kerry Edwards

it is all volitile right now but that is where the voters are out here now and a lot of them (myself included between Edwards and Clark) may not make up our minds until we hold the ballot in our hands - it could be anywhere from a landslide for Kerry to a close win for Edwards

Linky to scandel

Uh oh someone is in trouble

key part:

When the "AIG investment scheme (came) to light, John Kerry called for public hearings to investigate the parties involved and the legality of the investment practices. However, he firmly believed cutting funding for the Big Dig was not the answer," Cutter said.

and so Kerry's really close friend (and lest we forget, John McCain was one of the Keating 5 in that actual financial scandal) Republican John McCain* dropped a proposed amendment

that is not something that troubles me in the slightest - especially as the Big Dig needed to be finished for a whole host of reasons - now if Kerry had blocked prosecution of AIG, then you have a problem -

to allow a massive public works program to be completed in the state one represents - no problem - to hold everyone to that standard, there would be no one left of the 535 people in Congress, no one to run against them, and Cheney would be in jail and probably Bush too. But they shouldn't be for things like this.

*John McCain has been a close Kerry friend for years and has even gone against usual party protocols to support Kerry in past Senate elections

This I found on CNN.  It is a scorecard for the # of delegates each canditate has won so far.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/primaries...card/index.html

Thanks, very helpful.

Arizona was Clark's saving grace IMO. Combined with his strong performance in Oklahoma it gives him enough clout to be a contender for another week.

I am not sure if Dean is a Democrat, I think he is, but there was a girl that just came to my door and asked if I was going to vote in the MI caucus. She was promoting Dean, I guess he was on campus a little bit ago, as was Wesley Clark's kid. I said nope, I do not plan on it, but if I do, I think I am going to vote for Derek Zoolander or one of the bananas from Bananas in Pajamas.

I am not sure if Dean is a Democrat, I think he is, but there was a girl that just came to my door and asked if I was going to vote in the MI caucus. She was promoting Dean, I guess he was on campus a little bit ago, as was Wesley Clark's kid. I said nope, I do not plan on it, but if I do, I think I am going to vote for Derek Zoolander or one of the bananas from Bananas in Pajamas.

Deaniacs... :headshake

I was talking last night with my aunt and uncle that came in from Ireland and she was saying how back home that no one likes Bush and everyone liked Clinton (like she said, the work he did in trying to unite the North and the South is what influenced them). She was surprised when she would call overseas how it was a mixed bag with Clinton.