Interesting...

Rauch611

What is this based on, examples please, I'd be fascinated to learn of this newfound theory.

When we picked up free agents...Canseco, Lofton the Wells deal, the Ritchie deal, and even the minor league deals, or even minor deals (Perry, Graffanino) were all reported by ESPN Insider....

When we picked up free agents...Canseco, Lofton the Wells deal, the Ritchie deal, and even the minor league deals, or even minor deals (Perry, Graffanino) were all reported by ESPN Insider....

Okay, what is your point?

The Frank picture is part of an article about how the DH is here to stay as part of the ESPN baseball section. It has nothing to do with ESPN Insider.

Okay, what is your point?

The Frank picture is part of an article about how the DH is here to stay as part of the ESPN baseball section.  It has nothing to do with ESPN Insider.

Aboz, I thought I read Insider, and yes, you have proven me wrong.

Maybe I missed this, but under the picture of Thomas it says,

"All hit and no glove? Frank Thomas prefers playing in the field."

I know statistically Thomas does better when playing the field, but has he come out and publicly said he wants to play first base? Usually it's the whatever's best for the team stuff. I know defensive skills would definitely benefit him so that he could sign with an NL team, but I just don't remember him coming out and stating that before. It's also never mentioned in the DH article, wonder where they got it?

Maybe I missed this, but under the picture of Thomas it says,

"All hit and no glove?  Frank Thomas prefers playing in the field."

I know statistically Thomas does better when playing the field, but has he come out and publicly said he wants to play first base?  Usually it's the whatever's best for the team stuff.  I know defensive skills would definitely benefit him so that he could sign with an NL team, but I just don't remember him coming out and stating that before.  It's also never mentioned in the DH article, wonder where they got it?

How do we know if he likes playing in the field?

There is a true story about how a man dies. This man goes to church with his wife. He quickly falls a sleep. He is dreaming about the French Revolution and he has been caught by the French and is about to be guillotined. Right before the blade hits him his wife taps him gently on the back of his neck to wake him up. The man has a heart attack and dies. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this story?

There is a true story about how a man dies. This man goes to church with his wife. He quickly falls a sleep. He is dreaming about the French Revolution and he has been caught by the French and is about to be guillotined. Right before the blade hits him his wife taps him gently on the back of his neck to wake him up. The man has a heart attack and dies. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this story?

Joan of Arc? :lol:

If he died of a heart attack how the hell do we know what he was dreaming about?

It shows in his stats. He hit something like .320 with an at-bat per homer ratio of something between 10 and 15(for this year is was 11.375, so I'll round up to 12) with an OPS of like 1.100. In other words, over a full year, if he had 500 at bats, he would hit about .320 with about 35-50 homers and an OPS of 1.000....those aren't the numbers exactly, but it is something like that. Meanwhile, as a DH, he hits .250 with an ab/hr ratio of slightly less, but not significantly(this year, it was about 13.3235, so I'll round up to 14....as you can tell, he hits a homer more often playing 1B then DHing, but an OPS of about 200 points less with more K's.

Meaning if he played 1B a whole year, his numbers would be something like this(500 ab's): .320 42 140 110 BB's 100 K's .450 OBP .650 SLG% 1.100 OPS

As a DH: .250 36 110 85 BB's 115 K's .365 OBP .550 SLG% .915 OPS

As you can tell, there is actually a significant difference to him DHing and playing 1B. Therefore, we are under the assumption that he prefers to play 1B(along with the fact that I do believe he has stated that he likes playing the field, though not everyday)

That ab/hr ratio of 11.375 is not his wackiest though. Against lefties, Thomas's ab/hr ratio is roughly 8.7645....or in other words, if he had 500 at bats against lefties in a year, he'd hit 57 homers. He gets the 546 he got in 03, he hits 62 homers. Isn't number crunching fun? :D

BTW, on his splits for 1B projected and DH projected....I just made up the RBI totals, walk totals, and K totals....I reasoned them out and didn't just put bulls*** up there, but they are not statistically figured out by any means. His OBP, SLG%, and OPS are a little closer to the truth, but also not exact and could be off. Pay more attention to the average and RBI. Another thing, Thomas actually hit .350 as a 1Bman in limited time....I figured that his average would come down a little, but that's not guaranteed....when he was playing 1B full time in the mid 90s, he was hitting in the high .340s-low .350s....maybe it wouldn't fall. I am not sure.