Questions surround the Royals starting rotation

aboz56

Everyone is so worried about KC and I just don't see it.  In fact, I think they'll finish in 4th place behind 3rd place Cleveland and under .500

Cleveland could and prob will suprise a lot of ppl this year. There's a lot of IF's with that team, but there's a lot of potential as well. Guys like Milton Bradley, Jody Gerut etc. will be more comfortable this year and if Sabathia can pitch well and lead from da front, they should win at least 70 games.

i totally agree with you....the royals got old washed up players, twins let everyone go, tigers are just too bad, and I dont think the indians can compete with the sox...

Well if you're going to go from that standpoint, atleast the Royals brought in players, and the Twins made trades to try and help improve the team. Meanwhile, we let Colon, Gordon, Sullivan, Everett, and Alomar get away and we have no starter to replace Colon(which hurts us more then people will realize) unless you count Show, Cliff Politte to replace Tom Gordon(which will probably hurt us), Shingo for Sullivan(that's iffy, could go either way), replaced Everett with Rowand(losing that LH bat pretty much negates anything Rowand will do offensively), and replaced Alomar with Harris/Uribe/someone else(which will probably hurt us, though I can't guarantee that). We also fired Manuel(which was a great move), but hired Ozzie, and he and KW have been nothing short of dumb and dumber so far this offseason.

Well if you're going to go from that standpoint, atleast the Royals brought in players, and the Twins made trades to try and help improve the team.  Meanwhile, we let Colon, Gordon, Sullivan, Everett, and Alomar get away and we have no starter to replace Colon(which hurts us more then people will realize) unless you count Show, Cliff Politte to replace Tom Gordon(which will probably hurt us), Shingo for Sullivan(that's iffy, could go either way), replaced Everett with Rowand(losing that LH bat pretty much negates anything Rowand will do offensively), and replaced Alomar with Harris/Uribe/someone else(which will probably hurt us, though I can't guarantee that).  We also fired Manuel(which was a great move), but hired Ozzie, and he and KW have been nothing short of dumb and dumber so far this offseason.

I agree with you about the royals making moves, about losing Colon, and about the Ozzie hiring, but not the others. You shouldn't even predict what a white sox player can do in a season. I think Pollite can be good this season. This is one of the rare seasons Gordon didn't get injured in. He had 1 good season this year, and now it's like he's a great loss. He cannot stay healthy. I bet he'll get injured sometime this year in NY. (just like Osuna) Shingo is another Sullivan as far as I'm concerned. Both sidearmers, desceptive delieveries, and have a hellofa changeup. Everett isn't a big of a loss as you expect. Sure he's left handed and... The left handed/ right handed thing is so overrated. Ozzie's plan for this season is to run and be on time. Rowand has decent speed, can hit for power, and is better defensively. Everett can give you power numbers, but that's it. We already have power hitters on this team. We need speed, and rowand can provide us some and others. Alomar's teachings will be missed, but I think Harris/uribe can hold the position down. Who knows what they will do this season. Harris even said in the article (if you want to post it, say the word) that he likes it when people doubt him. They don't know his abilities, only he does. I believe that eigher him or Uribe can step up this season. There's always one or two players on the sox that step up big time every year. They might not be the same players year in and year out, but they do step up. Hopefully it can be harris, rowand, uribe, or/and garland.

Aboz.. I forgot to thank you for giving me this last night. I read it this morning and I think you are right in regards to our IM conversation about the rotation comparison. We'll be fine.

Yea, if you look at it, I think their 2 best pitchers (Anderson and May) would be #3 at best (if not 4th) on our staff.

If the Sox come to play everyday this year and beat the teams they are supposed to beat (easier said than done as we know from last year) good things can happen.

I've been saying this for awhile now.  We have the best rotation in our division by far, even though our isn't near great.  If we can hustle and play for runs like ozzie wants us to do, we should be in good shape.

That's where the fear for me is. Yes.. we have a HUGE void in the loss of inning eater Colon, but we couldn't hit our way out of a wet paper bag for most of the year last year. If our offense is not on.. grab the ankles boys. :o

Our top 3 starters right now Buehrle, Loaiza and Garland are still better than KC's May, Anderson and George? and Minnesota's Radke, Santana and Lohse. I think Colon is a stud but he is overrated. He has great stuff but his ERA was over 4 for most of the season. He gave up 2 home runs to Ichiro in one game for god sakes. If Garland starts pitching with some balls and one of our prospects steps up then you'll never here Colon's name mentioned again.

The left handed/ right handed thing is so overrated.

I feel it is somewhat overrated, as far as head to head matchups go. However, if you take the Sox lineup, with all of their RBI type guys hitting from the right side, if a pitcher gets in a groove, hitting or just missing that outside corner at the bottom of the strike zone, he can sit there all night long. We need a good LH hitter to make the pitcher change his thinking, location, rythem and comfort level. A good right handed pitcher gives the Sox fits on most occasions, and mediocre ones do at times.

We need to beat ANY team that we face early in the season, regardless of who they are.

And I will let the Kansas City press and the KC fans worry about their rotation - I could personally care less. I'm more worried about MY team's rotation. If KC's rotation or Minny's rotation are shoddy and weak, awww - too bad, so sad.

I'm glad people have written us off. Even with Harris, Rowand, and Olivo as 1/3 of our lineup, I still think we pound the s*** out of our division opponents.

We will be more competitive than we think. Harris isn't great, but at least he's not Donnie Hill. Rowand isn't great, but at least he's not Dave Gallagher. And Schoenweiss and Garland aren't great, but at least they're not Eric King and Jeff Bittiger. In other words, back in those days, we had a snowball's chance in Hell of competing. This team DOES have a chance. Let's play the games, fellas. (And ladies).

:headbang

Things look like they'll go our way. I think this team is good enough to win this division. We have the best rotation and lineup. Kansas City could have the best bullpen, but if their starters are getting shelled and averaging about 5-6 IP per game, that pen will wear out quickly.