Remaining free agents

mike12345

i was just looking at a few available free agents and found these guys and was wondering what you all think of them and whether or not they could help us...

Starting Pitcher- Ashby,Astacio,Burkett, Maddux(although there is little chance), Moehler, Stephenson

Closer- Urbina

1B- Travis Lee(could be a good pickup if we could trade konerko)

SS- Mike Bordick

OF- Mondesi, Al Martin, Troy O' Leary

I think Astacio could be a good #4 or 5 if healthy...Lee has solid defense and is a left handed bat although it is sometimes nonexistent...We could sign Mondesi and move Maggs to center and try to out hit everyone...the guy I like the most is Urbina...he now has world series experience and he could really make our pen one of the best in the major leagues...

Mike, I'm pretty sure Mondesi signed with the Pirates. And Travis Lee has been talking to the Yankees. Pittsburgh is also pursuing Urbina, Burkett has decided to retire.

I can't see the Sox picking up anybody, unless via trade.

Ashby - history of arm trouble, when healthy (rare), decent but unspectacular

Astacio - coming back from arm trouble, hitting 85 on the gun

Burkett - retired, and tired

Maddux - going to pitch at the World's Largest Singles Bar

Moehler - inconsistent, either pretty good or really bad

Stephenson - still recovering from arm trouble, but worth a look

Mike, I'm pretty sure Mondesi signed with the Pirates.  And Travis Lee has been talking to the Yankees.  Pittsburgh is also pursuing Urbina, Burkett has decided to retire.

I can't see the Sox picking up anybody, unless via trade.

How sad is it when the Pirates could go after Raul Mondesi, but the Sox can't afford to?!

I wonder why Urbina is still out there?  I wonder where and how much he is looking at?

As soxbadger said, Urbina is out there because of $$. Apparently he is still chapped about having to take a pay cut last year and is vowing not to do it again. He has said that he would be willing to go as far as sitting out this season if no team will pay him what he is worth. I do not recall the dollar figures he is asking for, unfortunately.

Ashby is the guy I'd go after. He is a quality individual who when healthy is a very solid pitcher. He was healthy late last season with the Dodgers and slowly was getting back into the swing of things. Whether his arm holds up, who knows, but I'd take a chance on him, considering Person is no longer an option.

Astachio wouldn't be bad either.

Ashby is the guy I'd go after.  He is a quality individual who when healthy is a very solid pitcher.  He was healthy late last season with the Dodgers and slowly was getting back into the swing of things.  Whether his arm holds up, who knows, but I'd take a chance on him, considering Person is no longer an option.

Astachio wouldn't be bad either.

could be a carl eldred(i hope), astacio wouldnt be a bad gamble either.

As soxbadger said, Urbina is out there because of $$.  Apparently he is still chapped about having to take a pay cut last year and is vowing not to do it again.  He has said that he would be willing to go as far as sitting out this season if no team will pay him what he is worth.  I do not recall the dollar figures he is asking for, unfortunately.

If Urbina sits out this season then he is a world class FOOL. Is he going to make twice as much next year to make up for the lost income from this year? No. He'll make even less, because his value will have gone DOWN after sitting out a year. :headshake

Well with the way things have gone for Sox Fans this off-season with:

ARod going to the Yankmees

Maddux going to the Scrubs

It's only fitting that:

Urbina goes to.....................the Twinkies!

And of course the final straw to get Sox fans leaping of the ledge are the 5 simple words:

The Tigers Win The Pennant!!!

The Tigers Win The Pennant!!!

:o :o :o

Ashby - history of arm trouble, when healthy (rare), decent but unspectacular

Astacio - coming back from arm trouble, hitting 85 on the gun

Burkett - retired, and tired

Maddux - going to pitch at the World's Largest Singles Bar 

Moehler - inconsistent, either pretty good or really bad

Stephenson - still recovering from arm trouble, but worth a look

What would we have to lose by signing Ashby, Astacio, Moehler, or Stephenson? Superstars are so undefined in the game, that anyone could come in and make a big difference. How great would it be to have Ashby in the rotation instead of Schoenweis? So what if hes coming off troulbe, give the guy a chance because right now we really have nothing to lose. And if he sucks, send him down. It really is the indiffernce that gets to me because superstars don't win championships, teams do.