Would you bring Danny Evans back to the Sox?

CSF

Should he return to the White Sox front office:  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Should he return to the White Sox front office:

• Yes
    • No

As long as Kenny is with the team it won't work

There is no way Evans and Williams could co-exist. That bridge has not only been burned, but it's also fallen apart and been washed down the river. There's going to be enough fireworks to watch when Ozzie and Frank have to share the same dugout 162 times.

As long as Kenny is with the team it won't work.  Plus the guy might have been the worst GM in all of baseball.

ss2k, you are right on point 1. Wrong on point 2.

I have been reading a Dodgers message board recently and many if not most Dodger fans are sorry to see Evans go. He set up the Dodgers org. to win. Depodesta will reap the benefits of what Evans sowed. Don't just look at the surface of a few deals. It can be very misleading.

I didn't mean Evans coming back as a GM.  I really think KW hasn't done that bad of a job.  But he and Reinsdorf were pretty close, if I'm not mistaken.  Reinsdorf might offer him a job out of loyalty.

I think Evans was pretty bitter after KW got the job. I don't think he would come back.

ss2k, you are right on point 1.  Wrong on point 2. 

I have been reading a Dodgers message board recently and many if not most Dodger fans are sorry to see Evans go.  He set up the Dodgers org. to win.  Depodesta will reap the benefits of what Evans sowed.  Don't just look at the surface of a few deals.  It can be very misleading.

The minor league system of the Dodgers is finally coming back to respectability, and that is what is going to save the Dodgers asses. They might be able to trade out from under some of the bad players and contracts that they have had. I'd be kinda curious to hear how Dodgers fans spin some of the horrible deals that Evans made.

The minor league system of the Dodgers is finally coming back to respectability, and that is what is going to save the Dodgers asses.  They might be able to trade out from under some of the bad players and contracts that they have had.  I'd be kinda curious to hear how Dodgers fans spin some of the horrible deals that Evans made.

Well that Hundley for Karros/Grudzlianek deal was bad. :lol:

ss2k, you are right on point 1.  Wrong on point 2. 

I have been reading a Dodgers message board recently and many if not most Dodger fans are sorry to see Evans go.  He set up the Dodgers org. to win.  Depodesta will reap the benefits of what Evans sowed.  Don't just look at the surface of a few deals.  It can be very misleading.

Rex, I would have to disagree with you to some degree. I live on the west coast, have multiple Dodger fans as friends, and have spent some time on the Dodger message board, and I can tell you for a fact that the overwhelming majority of Dodger fans are happy to see Evans go. I wouldn't go as far as calling him the worst GM ever, but he was pretty bad, and I am glad that the Sox picked KW over Evans. Evans did a decent job of building the minor league system, although I don't know how much of that was his doing, but the majority of his trades have not worked out.

Or the package including electric armed Ricardo Rodriguez and Terry Mullholand for the overpaid Paul Shuey

They also included another top pitching prospect Francisco Cruceta as part of the Shuey deal. Cruceta might even have a higher ceiling than Rodriguez, and is coming off another impressive year in the minors at AA(22 years old).

13-9 3.09 ERA 163.1 IP 141 H 7 HR 66 BB 134 SO

Evans really got fleeced on that deal, and its probably one of the reasons why he is so reluctant to trade away top prospects like Miller and Jackson for 1 year players like Maggs.

Evans somewhere in the minor league development, yes. Anywhere near a GM role, NO.

Evans didn't have the cohonies to be a GM. He was afraid of his own shadow and in the end thats what got him, imo.

I'm around a ton of Dodger fans and I don't know any that like them. Although I know my dad gives him a little respect for not giving up the stud prospects.

The minor league system of the Dodgers is finally coming back to respectability, and that is what is going to save the Dodgers asses.  They might be able to trade out from under some of the bad players and contracts that they have had.  I'd be kinda curious to hear how Dodgers fans spin some of the horrible deals that Evans made.

I don't want to get into a debate on specific deals he made or even whether he is good or not, but I will try and summarize some of the thoughts I have read.

1. He inherited a terrible farm system and through people he has hired, brought it back well beyond just respectability. Baseball America will rank it in its Top 5 in MLB this year.

2. He inherited a team with an unhappy slugger who wanted out in Gary Sheffield, and several monster contracts that were albatrosses that limited his payroll flexibility as much as KW's has been limited with the Sox. His first year he got nothing out of Kevin Brown's $17 million. Darren Dreifort has been a huge bust. As was Andy Ashby. There are others, I don't remember all of them.

3. He has acquired several players that have produced well as role players. Players such as Guillermo Mota, Dave Roberts, Paul Quantril, Wilson Alvarez, and Tom Martin have performed well. Others did not work out so well, but it is easy to judge in hindsight.

4. The Karros-Hundley deal made sense at the time. Karros' production had declined big time and was due to make $8 million. The Dodgers had a ready relplacement for Grudz who did not want to be a part-time player. To get rid of those two salaries they took on Hundley, expecting no more than help off the bench. They signed McGriff whose production, even on the decline, was equal to that of Grudz and Karros combined the year before. McGriff had never been on the DL in his career. Unfortunately, Joey Thurston falls on his face last year after hitting .334 the year before in AAA. McGriff gets hurt for the first time ever and doesn't even get 300 AB's. If McGriff stayed healthy and they get anything out of Thurston, then this deal works for the Dodgers. If Hundley comes back and gives then any bench help, it is a great deal. The deal also saved them $3 million. This is a perfect example of seeing the big picture rather than looking at the surface of a trade.

5. Shawn Green's production fell off considerably. They hoped Jeremy Burnitz could bounce back. Many things didn't work out right for the Dodgers, but they weren't stupid moves. I questioned the Paul Shuey for Ricardo Rodriguez trade, but obviously they knew more than I did, because Rodriguez has since been traded again and has flopped.

6. No one is saying Evans was the perfect GM and that all of his moves were good ones. But true Dodger fans have not been lost on the fact that he rebuilt their farm system and through patience and holding onto top prospects he has them primed to win and win soon. They believe that everything he did, he did with the long term success of the Dodgers in mind, not succombing to the win today mentality.

7. His hands were tied this off-season by the sale. He was not allowed to add payroll per Fox. Dodger fans are convinced they had Vladimir all but wrapped up but Evans could not get the go ahead to finish the deal. This was the first I have heard of that, but I do know his hands have been tied when trying to make deals this winter.

8. Lastly, the Dodgers haven't been THAT bad. Their worst record in Evans tenure was last year's 85-77 record, which is more than respectable.

The Dodgers now have flexibility for their payroll. They still have Darren Dreifort's contract and I am not crazy about the pickup of Weaver, but they had to take him to get rid of Kevin Brown's $17+ million. Look for the Dodgers to rebound quickly and for Evans to get no credit. Many Dodger fans think that is a shame.

Here is a thread on the Dodgers MLB board that echoes some of those sentiments. Of course I have pulled from several different threads to give you the above synopsis, but I think you will get the idea. Not everyone agrees and I don't agree with everything he has done, but I think most true Dodgers fans (of which I am not) see that he was working for the long haul, even when he was under fire.

A Letter to Dan

Or the package including electric armed Ricardo Rodriguez and Terry Mullholand for the overpaid Paul Shuey

You mean the Rodriguez that has such a s***ty attitude that the Indians quickly shipped him off to Texas, where he has done squat?? I didn't like the deal at the time either, but he was trying to shore up a bullpen for the pennant chase that year. They didn't win, so it didn't work out, but Shuey wasn't bad for them.

Evan's tenure will be judged when Miller and Jackson are playing in the Majors.

If they become top of the line starters and anchor LA to dominance, then he was a good GM. He probably is going to get fired because he did not attain a big name bat this offseason, and the only reason he did not was because of his refusal to part with either one of these prospects. He must of thought that trading them would be more detrimental to his career than getting a big bat and probably keeping his job.

If Miller and Jackson fail, Evans will be a failure, as he could of gotten great things for these prospects but it was his choice to keep them.

If Miller and Jackson suceed, then Evans will be getting phone calls from a bunch of teams, because it took more guts in his position to wait on his talent than to try a quick fix.

SB

Evans somewhere in the minor league development, yes.  Anywhere near a GM role, NO. 

Evans didn't have the cohonies to be a GM.  He was afraid of his own shadow and in the end thats what got him, imo. 

I'm around a ton of Dodger fans and I don't know any that like them.  Although I know my dad gives him a little respect for not giving up the stud prospects.

Jason, here is a time when I disagree with you big-time. Evans didn't panic and make moves that he felt were bad for the Dodgers long-term.

The Dodgers have always built from within and promoted a family atmosphere. Evans was working toward getting the Dodgers back to that point. He was doing what he felt necessary to set the Dodger franchise back up to where it once was, not jump in for the quick fix. There is a much bigger picture to being a GM than making that one trade that gets you to the playoffs now.

I have no doubt Evans will again be a MLB GM and that he will do well. He has set up Mr. Depodesta quite well in LA.

Eww... I wouldn't mind Evans as head of the minor leagues (I wouldn't mind KW in that role either), but hell no as GM...

That's what I'm thinking. Wasn't he the minor league director at some point in his career?

Still, I wouldn't mind him helping out with the farm system.

Evans strength is on the administrative and people side. He understands the inner workings of baseball operations. Smart GM's surround themselves with good people to help them make important decisions. KW brought in Roland Hemond and Dennis Gilbert to name two. There are otehrs, I believe as well.

So anyone that thinks that KW or Evans or Beane for that matter are the only ones involved in such decisions, doesn't understand how it all works.

I always expected that the scouts, etc did most of the leg work and provided reports.

It was up to the GM's to follow those reports and to make decisions on who are good scouts, and good players.

What Evan's did admirably was stick to his plans, when you are thinking prolonged success short term gain can often be long term loss.

We will see how Evan's plan turns out, and we will see how Depodesta takes Evan's plan and turns it into his plan.

SB

Jason, here is a time when I disagree with you big-time.  Evans didn't panic and make moves that he felt were bad for the Dodgers long-term. 

The Dodgers have always built from within and promoted a family atmosphere.  Evans was working toward getting the Dodgers back to that point.  He was doing what he felt necessary to set the Dodger franchise back up to where it once was, not jump in for the quick fix.  There is a much bigger picture to being a GM than making that one trade that gets you to the playoffs now. 

I have no doubt Evans will again be a MLB GM and that he will do well.  He has set up Mr. Depodesta quite well in LA.

See I disagree on that because the only credit I will give Evans is the hiring of Bavasi, who I will credit for building that farm system. He built the Angels farm system and put the Angels in position to win the series and then he quickly went to work in the Dodgers system.

Now Bavasi will excell as the Gm of the Mariners (mark my words on that).

By panic moves, I consider giving up two top prospects for Shuey a panic move (Although Shuey is a very solid reliever). I also consider giving up some pretty good prospects for Tyler Freaking Houston a panic move.

This past trade deadline he did a little better, but at the same time the Dodgers had the best pitching staff in baseball and if there was every a time to make an agressive move to put you over the top and get you in the playoffs, then would of been that time, but the Dodgers passed and get Ventura and Burnitz. Those weren't horrible deals, but they weren't the kind of moves that would of made the Dodgers winners.

Then this offseason they deal Brown for Weaver, not bad I guess, cause I think its good to get rid of Brown's contract, but I also question Weaver (Although I'm probably one of his biggest supporters, lol).

I also question this team having so much faith in guys having career years. I'm sorry, but I don't see Alvarez duplicating last years numbers nor do I see Nomo doing what he did much longer (I give him a lot of credit though). I've never had faith in Dreifort and I think their pen will be quite a bit weaker this year.

And the fact that they have still, not added a leadoff hitter (by far their biggest need) angst me. Sorry Dave Roberts, but you proved last year that you can't handle the leadoff spot. Roberts would be a solid pickup for a team like the Sox, who have some thunder in the middle, but for a team lacking any offense (minus Shawn Green) you need to have guys get on and Alex Cora and Itzuris sure don't do it. Beltre hasn't done it on a consistent basis (They tried to deal LoDuca multiple times this offseason, one of their only on base type guys) and Dave Roberts sure didn't do it. Now this year they are going to have Alan Trammel in left last I saw. And they still have nothing up the middle (Although I like Itzuris and he is tremendous defensively; but Cora blows as a starter).

You can say he had his hands tied, but I can also say if he doesn't want Perez, then he should of non tendered him and used that 5.5 mill or so Perez got and put it towards two offensive players or even Carl Everett and someone like Roberto Alomar Jr. They could of spent that money, while losing a pitcher, they do have the youngsters, and then would of had a left fielder with some pop as well as a 2nd baseman that could really provide a spark (especially when motivated, plus he's better then Cora; we know I'm not a huge Alomar fan thougH) and then if he got the approval, added someone like Fullmer to play first base or even went after Travis Lee.

They then have Encarnacion in center, Green in right, Everett in left;

Beltre at 3rd; Itzuris at SS; Alomar Jr. at 2nd; Fullmer/Lee at 1st and LoDuca behind the plate

Its a balanced lineup, has solid defensive players, some speed, some pop and it wouldn't of really added their payroll at all. And none of these moves would of been difficult and they wouldn't have any long term contracts at hand because Everett got a 2 yr deal, Alomar a 1 yr deal and Lee a 1 yr deal.

Instead they are still trying to pan Perez off to whoever will take him (allegedly).

Evans sat around when their were moves to be made to better what was an absolutely atrocious offense that needed multiple bats added this offseason, pronto. For doing things like that and having his hands tied by others, I will not give him much credit.

Evans strength is on the administrative and people side.  He understands the inner workings of baseball operations.  Smart GM's surround themselves with good people to help them make important decisions.  KW brought in Roland Hemond and Dennis Gilbert to name two.  There are otehrs, I believe as well.

So anyone that thinks that KW or Evans or Beane for that matter are the only ones involved in such decisions, doesn't understand how it all works.

And lets not forget the man, Bob Fontaine...he'll be greatly missed, imo.

Bavasi is lucky to have him back on his staff. The Mariners seems to always have a very good front office.