What I wouldn't give for Ray Durham

bigred3535

Man, what I wouldn't give for Ray Durham, or any other halfway decent second baseman, right now. Think about it. If the Yanks sign Maddux that gives them too many starters and their big hole is second base. You could probably get Lieber or Contreras, a reliever and many $$$ if only we had a second baseman. Hell, I bet they'd even take Konerko's or Koch's contract off our hands, with the mood Steinbrenner is in right now.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, what I wouldn't give for Ray Durham, or any other halfway decent second baseman, right now. Think about it. If the Yanks sign Maddux that gives them too many starters and their big hole is second base. You could probably get Lieber or Contreras, a reliever and many $$$ if only we had a second baseman. Hell, I bet they'd even take Konerko's or Koch's contract off our hands, with the mood Steinbrenner is in right now.

You mean because he had such a great glove and a consistent bat? Oh, if Willie can just be half the player that Ray is today, I'll tell ya!

If this was really that easy and they are in such a need for a 2nd baseman then why aren't the cubs on the phone with them right now. Todd Walker and Mark Grudz are both there. I am sure if they are so hot for a 2nd baseman then the cubs would have no problem dealing one of them over there. What were Walkers numbers last year compared to Ray's?

why dont you all wait to see what Willie does before you start bashing him.. he has the starting job, he has never had that before.. So lets just wait to see how he does before we immediatley start putting him down

Well gee Tony... why don't you just ruin all our fun.. :P

Seriously though.. I do agree to a point. But 1 thing that keeps bothering me is the constant bla, bla, bla about his minor league stats. I don't care how good he was.. that was then. And if he showed such promise he would have been called up with Baltimore. Why I'm tough on him is because he hasn't done anything, yet Sox brass are calling him the greatest thing since sliced bread. Stop hyping the guy... let him be. The more they talk him the more nervous he's going to be.

why dont you all wait to see what Willie does before you start bashing him.. he has the starting job, he has never had that before.. So lets just wait to see how he does before we immediatley start putting him down

Anthony, I can tell you don't like the sox anymore cause of all the yankee stuff you got on your avitar, sig. Damn you!! :P :lol:

Well gee Tony... why don't you just ruin all our fun..  :P

Why I'm tough on him is because he hasn't done anything, yet Sox brass are calling him the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I never knew that sliced bread was a greatest thing scenario! Thanks for the info Steff!

I hope that Willie does GREAT this year when given the chance! Management comparing him to sliced bread doesn't sound like a whole lot! (Unless of course, it's 100% whole wheat!!)

I never knew that sliced bread was a greatest thing scenario! Thanks for the info Steff!

I hope that Willie does GREAT this year when given the chance! Management comparing him to sliced bread doesn't sound like a whole lot!    (Unless of course, it's 100% whole wheat!!)

Are you serious...? My great grama used to say that!! :lol:

Excellent whole wheat pun.. :headbang

St. Ray of Duhram was a good player but hardly worth 1/7th of the entire 2003 payroll.

Only Magglio and possibly Thomas are.

the money given to konerko , or even lee , shoould have went to durham...you pay for up the middle players..the league is deep in 1st baseman and corner outfielders

You can't give a guy playing full time for the time in his career that little time.  He needs at least 200 ABs before you can cast the guy off.

If we want to compete for the division this year you can.

And to me, if at that point the team is playing well and he isn't, he should be sent down or benched. He is a professional and we have another option in Uribe who we traded Miles for. If he can't start fast, while it may be unfair, this is what I feel should be done.

If we want to compete for the division this year you can.

And to me, if at that point the team is playing well and he isn't, he should be sent down or benched.  He is a professional and we have another option in Uribe who we traded Miles for.  If he can't start fast, while it may be unfair, this is what I feel should be done.

i agree..we can not afford to have happen what did last year with jimenez and rowand..it just killed us

Yes you do if the guy is good defensively. Ray was never known for his defense, except for going back on pop ups.

there was nothing wrong with durham's defense...he wasnt a gold glover but he was more than adaquate, especially when you figure in his offense....you have to look at the whole player...you also take into account what you have behind him before you let him walk....since durham left we have been desperate for a 2nd baseman and a leadoff hitter...

we had nothing behind durham...and we still dont...that makes him worth just about whatever he wants

there was nothing wrong with durham's defense...he wasnt a gold glover but he was more than adaquate, especially when you figure in his offense....you have to look at the whole player...you also take into account what you have behind him before you let him walk....since durham left we have been desperate for a 2nd baseman and a leadoff hitter...

we had nothing behind durham...and we still dont...that makes him worth just about whatever he wants

Ok I remember a different player. I remember a player that could stall an offense when he was in a cold streak, which was often. He was a very streaky hitter. His defense was definately not what I would call adequate. I loved watching him play when he was on. He would make some magnificent plays sometimes, but not consistently. He always hustled. I just wouldn't break the bank for the guy.

Ok I remember a different player. I remember a player that could stall an offense when he was in a cold streak, which was often. He was a very streaky hitter. His defense was definately not what I would call adequate. I loved watching him play when he was on. He would make some magnificent plays sometimes, but not consistently. He always hustled. I just wouldn't break the bank for the guy.

we didnt have to break the bank for the guy...unless you htink 6 million a year is breaking the bank???...we paid konerko 8 million a year..wouldnt that money have been better spent on durham???...it wouldnt have minded him leaving if we had a real prospect to replace him...but we didnt