I would be outraged if it was a Dem

Texsox

CNN) -- The Bush-Cheney re-election campaign on Thursday defended its decision to use footage of the wreckage of the World Trade Center in political ads, following reports that the commercials had angered some of the families of September 11, 2001, victims.

The ads, part of a multimillion dollar television blitz that began Thursday, describe President Bush's leadership as the country faced a series of challenges including "an economy in recession, a stock market in decline," the end of the dot-com boom and the September 11 attacks.(Full story)

Some of the families of September 11 victims have reportedly criticized the decision to use images of the wreckage of the World Trade Center in two of the spots.

"It's a slap in the face of the murders of 3,000 people," Monica Gabrielle, whose husband died in the twin towers, told the New York Daily News. "It is unconscionable."

They also show firefighters working in the rubble.

"It's as sick as people who stole things out of the place," firefighter Tommy Fee of Queens Rescue Squad 270 told The Associated Press. "The image of firefighters at ground zero should not be used for this stuff, for politics." (Full story)

Rest of the story :nono

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fight back

$150 Million to Hide Bush's Record

Since the polls closed on Super Tuesday, we have raised over $2 million online. Let's make today another seven figure day; there's no better way to tell George W. Bush his days are numbered.

With a series of television ads running now, Bush is trying to rewrite history and hide his miserable record behind a $150 million mountain of cash -- raised from corporate special interests like the big oil and drug companies. And today, you and I go to work making sure his cynical plan doesn't succeed.

https://contribute.johnkerry.com

The Bush campaign's massive advertising campaign may be the largest media blitz in political history. But it is still not enough to cover up the trail of broken promises he has left across America -- not if you and I are committed to standing with John Kerry every step of this campaign.

The Bush strategy is clear. Use wedge issues to divide America. Work overtime to distort John Kerry's record. And use his campaign war chest to try to cover up his failed record.

Don't let Bush's attempt to rewrite reality succeed. Make the day he launched his media blitz the day you redoubled your commitment to John Kerry and his campaign to bring change to America in 2004.

Warm regards,

Mary Beth Cahill

Campaign Manager, John Kerry for President

www.johnkerry.com

P.S. The real story here is what's not in the new Bush ads. This president acts as though the last three and a half years never happened -- for example, Bush doesn't mention that he promised his tax cuts for the wealthy would create over 1 million jobs, when over 3 million people lost their jobs under Bush.

fight back

$150 Million to Hide Bush's Record

Since the polls closed on Super Tuesday, we have raised over $2 million online. Let's make today another seven figure day; there's no better way to tell George W. Bush his days are numbered.

With a series of television ads running now, Bush is trying to rewrite history and hide his miserable record behind a $150 million mountain of cash -- raised from corporate special interests like the big oil and drug companies. And today, you and I go to work making sure his cynical plan doesn't succeed.

The Bush campaign's massive advertising campaign may be the largest media blitz in political history. But it is still not enough to cover up the trail of broken promises he has left across America -- not if you and I are committed to standing with John Kerry every step of this campaign.

The Bush strategy is clear. Use wedge issues to divide America. Work overtime to distort John Kerry's record. And use his campaign war chest to try to cover up his failed record.

Don't let Bush's attempt to rewrite reality succeed. Make the day he launched his media blitz the day you redoubled your commitment to John Kerry and his campaign to bring change to America in 2004.

Warm regards,

Mary Beth Cahill

Campaign Manager, John Kerry for President

www.johnkerry.com

P.S.  The real story here is what's not in the new Bush ads. This president acts as though the last three and a half years never happened -- for example, Bush doesn't mention that he promised his tax cuts for the wealthy would create over 1 million jobs, when over 3 million people lost their jobs under Bush.

:rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with reminding America of 9/11 in a political ad. 9/11 happened, it's a factor in his presidency and points to his leadership qualities.

What I do have a problem with is showing a flag-draped corpse being taken from the rubble. Whether or not we can see the person, that is still a person under there, presumably with a spouse, children, and people who love them and miss them. They shouldn't be used in such a way.

i fail to see the problem. Did it not happen? Bush did a good job in facing an extremely difficult time and i see no reason why this should not be used.

But, the Democrats are trying to tell Nader what to do and what not to do, so i'm not surprised

ChiSox, it's not the Dems that are the ones dissing Bush on this. A lot of the flak is coming from families who lost people on 9/11 and survivors of the attack.

i fail to see the problem. Did it not happen? Bush did a good job in facing an extremely difficult time and i see no reason why this should not be used.

But, the Democrats are trying to tell Nader what to do and what not to do, so i'm not surprised

9-11 and the aftermath was the defining moment of Bush's presidency. Of course he is going to use it in the campaign and rightly so. Like Bush or not most folks felt he handled the situation very well and it makes sense to remind folks of the leadership he provided during that time.

9/11 is something that happened.  Bush rallied the country to the ocassion and to me did an incredible job during a time of crisis.

If your family dies in a house fire, and I was running for fire chief, would you mind if I showed your house going up in flames and your family dying inside? "Sorry buddy, I know losing your wife and kids was rough, watching them die and all, but I did a damn fine job afterwards and I want everyone to know." Gross.

He is using a national tradegy to get re-elected. He is trying to confuse the spontanious outpouring of national pride and sympathy as something he did. Do you believe we wouldn't have put up flags, held prayer services, and other memorials if someone else was president? Are Americans so stupid they needed W to tell us how to react?

Do not use a national trategy for personal gain.

57,000 Americans died in Vietnam...John Kerry should stop using his military record in his campaign cause it tramples onthe deaths of those people. That is basically what they are saying.

This was 4 seconds in a commercial...and there are plenty of families on the other side that think it is something that we should be reminded of. So to all you moderates out there don't believe the hype....The mass media usually only gives you one view and that is the view of the left.

Here's some other sides.....New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said he did not object to reminding "the country and the world about the sacrifices that the New York City fire department and police department and civilians made."

And former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani (search) said Bush's "leadership on that day is central to his record, and his continued leadership is critical to our ultimate success against world terrorism."

Deena Burnett, a Little Rock, Ark., resident whose husband, Tom, was a passenger on the plane that crashed into a Pennsylvania field, said the ads were "a perfect reminder of what happened that day."

Campaign Staff "Let's use your leadership after 9-11 in an ad"

Bush "Great idea. But Americans may have forgotten that those towers were destroyed, I know I forget sometimes and y'all have to remind me."

Staff "We could show footage of the towers and a flag draped casket to remind them. That way we won't have to spend as much time explaining what you actually did"

Bush "Great idea. Maybe the folks will confuse me with that Rudy guy who was in all the tv spots"

Maybe you needed the president to tell you to display a flag or go to a prayer service or memorial service, maybe you needed the president to tell you to donate to the Red Cross or crawl at ground zero on your hands and knees for days trying to find a survivor. Most Americans did not. He should take credit for what he did. To show the grave of the thousands who were not found is wrong and insensitive.

If your family dies in a house fire, and I was running for fire chief, would you mind if I showed your house going up in flames and your family dying inside? "Sorry buddy, I know losing your wife and kids was rough, watching them die and all, but I did a damn fine job afterwards and I want everyone to know." Gross.

He is using a national tradegy to get re-elected. He is trying to confuse the spontanious outpouring of national pride and sympathy as something he did.  Do you believe we wouldn't have put up flags, held prayer services, and other memorials if someone else was president? Are Americans so stupid they needed W to tell us how to react?

Do not use a national trategy for personal gain.

What a ridiculous argument....Dude don't just make s*** up to tell your side of a story. That is a terrible analogy. It has absolutely NO comparison to Bush reminding Americans that we were attacked and he had the balls to do something about it.

A fire chief trying to get a job, by showing a house that burned down and a family that died???? gimmie a break... Now maybe if that fire was arson, and the chief hunted down the arsonist and captured him. THEN... maybe the Chief would use that fire as an example of his skills and I'm sure the family wouldn't object...since he did a good job and caught the guy that was responsible.

Unlike Clinton, who did s*** last time the WTC was attacked, this pres acted. The first time it was attacked, the intention of the terroists was to blow up the one and topple it into the other to kill everyone!! KILL EVERYONE!! That is when this war on terror should have started...We were attacked on OUR soil...the intention was to kill thousands of people, but because we didn't suffer sever casualties...it was basically swept under the carpet. That and the fact Clinton figured if he sent over some troops and boys started coming back in body bags fighting a war...his polls would go down. That wasn't worht the risk...so let's just let it go.

As an American, I want a president that will respond decisevely...and the democrats are too dam political to do that, as demonstrated by Mr. Clinton.

Unlike Clinton, who did s*** last time the WTC was attacked, this pres acted. The first time it was attacked, the intention of the terroists was to blow up the one and topple it into the other to kill everyone!! KILL EVERYONE!! That is when this war on terror should have started...We were attacked on OUR soil...the intention was to kill thousands of people, but because we didn't suffer sever casualties...it was basically swept under the carpet. That and the fact Clinton figured if he sent over some troops and boys started coming back in body bags fighting a war...his polls would go down. That wasn't worht the risk...so let's just let it go.

Bullsdhit. Lies and bulls***.

Everyone who attacked the WTC when Clinton was president was arrested, tried in court, and convicted. You seem to forget that on September 12 2001 was the sentencing of the last of those convicted.

When Clinton went after bin laden, he was mocked for wag the dog (and that is so f***ing ironic now with bush in the white house).

When Clinton wanted Congress to focus on bin laden and terror and amwrica's real needs, they focused instead on what distinguishinging characteristic Clinton's penis had. Every republican who obsessed on Monica rather than issues of real importance to America should be convicted for violating their constitutional oaths to serve and protect the consisutiton and this country.

When Clinton's staff tried to inform the incoming Bush staff of the threat if terrorism and bin laden, Condy Rice and the entire Bush staff rejected even listening because they thought they knew better than the Clinton staff.

Try reality, it gets you further.

A real Bush ad would show Bush refusing the investigation committee the summaries of the daily briefings that Bush had on vacation all of August 2001 and Bush when appear on camera and say, "when I was on vacation and was told that there was a terrorist threat, I did not focus on that, pushed that aside, because I cared more about Ken Lay my biggest contributor and Enron than I did on the threat of terror and that's ok, my attention span is weak and I was on vacation anyway. And my salute to Bill Clinton who actually caught and convicted terrorists in his administration!" That would be truth in advertizing. But your side is afraid of the truth.

Fantasy is fun. But we need a real president, not one who whores the dead for political advantage as these Bush ads do.

Lobbing a few cruise missles isn't getting the job done...yeah we caught the actual guys that did the bombing...but we didn't disrupt anything. That is like arresting a bookie and claiming you took down the mob's operation.

Nice of you to blame Americans and Congress for Clintons failures. Clinton lied under oath and it is Congress' and American's fault he didn't try to go after the top terrosits. You want a badge for Clinton because the morons that tried to blow up a building were caught??? We need someone that is willing to go to the root of the problem.

Stop grasping at straws..I live in reality....we were bombed...TWICE. On prez followed through..the other showed us some fluff.

The fact that you agree with Abu, that it is appropriate to show those people diving off the buildings should really enlighten some people on this site.

The fact that you agree with Abu, that it is appropriate to show those people diving off the buildings should really enlighten some people on this site.

Chaos.. they were all over the news at the time, on the front page of the newspapers and on the cover of Time magazine... :unsure: