Guide to Arizona

DBAHO

TUCSON, Ariz. -- About two hours southeast of the hustle and bustle of the Phoenix metropolitan area resides a little hub of spring training baseball.

Die-hards can pretty much be assured of a game a day throughout March, when the White Sox, Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies all make Tucson home and play their games a 10-minute drive from each other.

The Sox moved their spring base from Sarasota, Fla., to the desert in 1998, joining the Diamondbacks at Tucson Electric Park. How much longer the Sox will remain here is a recurring question amid rumors that they would like to move northwest to Scottsdale.

Good seats are usually easy to find for most games at the 11,500-seat stadium. Last season, the Sox averaged 4,856 a game.

There is ample seating on the lawn in left-center and right-center field for $3 and plenty of parking just outside the stadium.

Some other tidbits:

How much are the other tickets?

$16, $14, $8 and $6. Tickets can be purchased at the box office, tickets.com or by calling 520-434-1111.

How's the food?

Standard concession fare—burgers, hot dogs, polish sausage and chicken sandwiches—with a barbecue stand down the right-field line.

What time is batting practice?

When the Sox are the home team, which is most of the time, they hit from 10:20 a.m. to 11:05 for a 1:05 p.m. game and until 5:05 p.m. for a 7:05 game. Don't worry about the night games, though. The only one this spring is Wednesday against the Rockies.

Are tickets still available for the March 19 game against the Cubs?

Yes, but they are going quick. As of Monday afternoon there were about 1,500 bleacher seats and 1,500 lawn tickets available. If that's the game you want to see, the best bet is to call and order tickets soon.

When is the last chance to see

the Sox in Tucson?

The last game is Friday, April 2, against the Milwaukee Brewers

Where is the best place

to get an autograph?

There are a couple of hot spots. The Sox dugout is on the first-base side, so down the right-field line when the players are running and stretching is good, as well as on either side of the dugouts. Also, behind home plate is a tunnel that leads outside and back to the clubhouse. Players will stop right inside the tunnel and sign there.

Outside the stadium there is an area near a gate on the southwest side of the stadium that players have to walk by to get to the clubhouse. Some will stop and sign. Some people wait on Ajo Way at the driveway entrance to the complex and try to get autographs as the players drive away.

If you want Magglio Ordonez's autograph, look for a yellow Lamborghini. Can't miss it.

What does the Big Skirt drive?  An ice cream truck?

I know this isn't a serious question, but I have heard it's a black bentley, license plate says someting like got hurt or get hurt or just hurt or something like that. I guess he is at Maloney's in Tucson every Saturday. At least that's what I hear from my UA buddy, can't wait to get out there and see.

I know this isn't a serious question, but I have heard it's a black bentley, license plate says someting like got hurt or get hurt or just hurt or something like that.  I guess he is at Maloney's in Tucson every Saturday.  At least that's what I hear from my UA buddy, can't wait to get out there and see.

He's got a red one, too. Sweeet ride... ;)