Is Sandy really that bad?

Bighurt52235

Guest hotsoxchick1
she should be a scout

i would love to be a scout.......nothing better i can think of than traveling around lookin at all the young hot studs.............. :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would love to be a scout.......nothing better i can think of  than traveling around lookin at all the young hot studs.............. :D

HSC, you know I am your vocational counselor and want only the best for you - I picked your perfect career - I just wonder how you would conduct the personal interviews with the players to check their chemistry... :D

That's a little better. Aside from the money issues, I think CJ is much better. With CJ, you don't have to pray that he'll be healthy for 100 games, it's damn near a given.

BigHurt, what you are missing here is that the decision was made to give Olivo the chance to be the everday catcher. There is no need for CJ based on that premise. You can argue whether CJ or Alomar is better til you are blue in the face, but the real argument is whether the commitment to Olivo is the right one. I say that along with that commitment, Alomar is the perfect compliment to Miguel and the right guy to help speed up his development.

HSC, I will agree with you on Olivo. Miguel brings a special set of talents to the catching position that is not normal. He will not hit like a Mike Piazza and at least at first, he will not be considered one of the best game callers in the Big Leagues. But he will provide an arm that base stealers will have to respect, he will hit respectably now and better later, and he brings speed that catcher just don't have. He also plays the game with a passion that is fun to watch. It can get him in trouble at times (see below), but he truly has fun while playing and plays hard. Wally did a great job of bringing that out even more in him last year.

Olivo's weaknesses are game calling ability, an occasional lack of focus (see high # of passed balls) and maturity (has a bit of a temper at times). All of those things are what Alomar will help with. Sandy will be the perfect mentor.

I think if they handle Miguel right, give him a fair chance if he struggles early and don't expect too much, then he will be fine. The addition of Alomar will work very well.

Guest hotsoxchick1

rex i must say i have enjoyed watching miguel play very much.......he surprised me with his running.. and the attention he pays to the game while hes on the basepaths...hes got good instincts when it comes to stealing.........and his arm is, well, its the best i have seen in a long time come from the farm......rocket is not enough word to describe it........he has got the good instincts to toss out runners and the arm power to back it up.. hes also got those cat like instincts behind the plate when the ball is hit pop up or behind the plate..he reacts quickly and swiftly, unlike josh who fumbles around looking for half an hour....lol...i dont think his game calling will be much of a problem....honestly i think he will do ok......and he is by far a ton more mature than josh is ever going to be... josh throws a fit each inning........lol.... and i seriously think his batting will be ok at the major level.. hes got power and if he can keep that power focused he will do just fine....i have screamed since sandy was given walking papers last season that we should have kept him around to mentor miguel.. they just have a certian chemistry together that works good.......of all the moves kw made this off season im glad he made this one..........(bringing back alomar for miguel).....its a move he wont regret............were going to see alot of good things out of our young catcher this season and thats one big thing im looking foward to.........

and his arm is, well, its the best i have seen in a long time come from the farm......rocket is not enough word to describe it.....

Just for conversation sake, how does Olivo's arm compare with IRod's?

Very well...... His arm strength is about as good as it gets.

Just a side note: HSC, did you ever get a chance to see Humberto Quintero catch? For those that do not remember, he along with Alex Fernandez were the players traded for Jiminez.

As good as Olivo can be and as impressed as you are with him..... Quintero makes Olivo look like a little leaguer. That is not a knock on Olivo at all, but Quintero was unbelievable behind the plate. It usually took about 3 innings of watching him to realize how good he was. I don't think his arm is any better than Miguel's, but he got rid of the ball twice as fast, had quicker feet behind the plate and just dominated runners. I believe in the first week he was with Mobile after getting traded he picked off or threw out 11 runners!

Too bad the guy couldn't hit a lick. Unless the Padres pull a miracle with him, the guy will never hit higher than .200 at any level.

Sorry for getting off track, but it was just a random thought..

I liked Quintero a lot Hudler. I was really dissapointed when he was dealt, but he brought over a guy I have always liked in Jimenez.

He was excellent behind the plate though and started showing signs of life out of his bat. I also think he was pretty young, if I recall. The guy had a serious gun.

Guest hotsoxchick1

rex yes i did happen to catch quintero but only once for a game......i was rather impressed with him.. and his abilities for that game....he did remind me some of miguel......as i recall the one thing that stuck out in my mind about him was his action behind the plate...jumps on stray balls and such...he sure was right on top of things... i wish i could have seen a bit more of him because im sure i would have enjoyed watching him play......i am very hyped on miguel.. ive been watching him so long its almost like one of my own kids coming up...lol.. thats pretty much how i feel about most of the guys who pass through here.......to know them on the minor level and watch them grow season to season and then see them come up to the majors and watch how they have improved so much...(most of em anyhow lol)... its like watching kids grow....im going to have to pick out my guys to follow closely this season during the classic game.....gonna be a whole new bunch of fellows to see this year ........and i have to get down to my dads house so i can swipe his wally backman bobble head doll they are giving away this year to season ticket holders lol... i gotta add him to my collection ....

Moving Quintero was not a big deal because AT BEST he will be a backup in the bigs. However, I doubt that will ever happen.

He's fun to watch defensively, and I am almost willing to bet, that we will see him again this year in a Mobile uniform. As much as I like to see him catch, I'd rather not see it against us.

There was never a doubt who had more upside between Olivo and Quintero. Hence, Quintero gets moved and Olivo is in the Bigs.

I really hope Olivo can cut it better than JP or MJ. We traded a pretty good relief pitcher to get him.  Olivo and Crede are the two position players I'm excited about watching this year.

if olivo cant cut better than josh then we are in bigtime trouble...guess im still in the minority on MJ...i really liked him..any catcher that throws out 40% of runners stealing and calls a good enough game to become mark buehrle's personal catcher is alright with me...guess its me and billy bean against the world on this one :lol:

Guest hotsoxchick1
I really hope Olivo can cut it better than JP or MJ.   We traded a pretty good relief pitcher to get him.  Olivo and Crede are the two position players I'm excited about watching this year.

if olivo cant cut better than josh then we are in bigtime trouble...guess im still in the minority on MJ...i really liked him..any catcher that throws out 40% of runners stealing and calls a good enough game to become mark buehrle's personal catcher is alright with me...guess its me and billy bean against the world on this one :lol:

my cat can catch better than josh, and thats without plausable thumbs........lol.......baggs i dont see why your so worried about miguel.. he will be just fine.......as for mj yeah i would have rather he stayed and we got rid of josh in stead.. but it didnt happen that way so whatcha gonna do right??? we will be fine behind the plate.........that is one spot im fully confident in ..........

Olivo will be fine... Just be patient and don't expect veteran numbers from him right away.  He still has a lot to learn, like all young players.

I think Olivo will start the season playing only occassionaly. Alomar will likely be the opening day catcher but as the season progresses the Sox will put more and more duties as well as pressure on Olivo.

Personally, I think this is the best way to develop a catching prospect, because there is so much to learn. They don't only have to worry about hitting, but they have to learn there pitching staffs, how to call a game, blocking the plate etc.

Olivo will be fine...   Just be patient and don't expect veteran numbers from him right away.  He still has a lot to learn, like all young players.

I think Olivo will start the season playing only occassionaly. Alomar will likely be the opening day catcher but as the season progresses the Sox will put more and more duties as well as pressure on Olivo.

Personally, I think this is the best way to develop a catching prospect, because there is so much to learn. They don't only have to worry about hitting, but they have to learn there pitching staffs, how to call a game, blocking the plate etc.

If Olivo makes the club (and we all hope he does) then he will catch at least 4 times a week.

They won't keep him in Chicago to let Sandy play more often.

Guest hotsoxchick1

exactly right rex... they did not bring sandy back to be the every day catcher... they brought him back to help mentor olivo along.... and play every once in a while.... frankly i think they brought him back for colon, but thats mho....anyhow hes here and he wont be your every day catcher... ya you may see him out there for opening day but thats about it for that week.......miguels a quick learner ... he will be just fine..........

olivo turns 25 this july..which is the date he officially becomes old for a prospect....if he makes the team he should be catching everyday except for when he needs a rest...if they arnt gonna do that then send him to charlotte where he can play everyday...but i cant see a scenario where he doesnt make this team

Play Olivo.

He can't do any worse than some of the stiffs we've opened the season with under KW.

Who was that outfielder that one year that went 1-for-30 or so.

I forget his name, but he was such a stiff.

I agree to start Olvio, I think he will be good, and I am glad to see Sandy as mentor on the team.

Was reading the Sports Illustrated issue that came out just before the Super Bowl (I am behind on my reading) and was interested to read that AL pitchers were trashing on IRod for not attending meetings with pitchers so being unprepared for the games, calling fastballs with runners on base, and other things - some AL scout really trashed on IRod's skills - so maybe we came out way ahead not signing him - sounds like a bigger cancer than dare I say Clayton -

I remember Robin Ventura as a rookie going 0-57 or something like that - thank God that was in the days before mesage boards - woulld we have patience with a rookie now as we are lucky the Sox did with Robin? Patience is sometimes a good thing and pays huge dividends with young players

Play Olivo.

He can't do any worse than some of the stiffs we've opened the season with under KW.

Who was that outfielder that one year that went 1-for-30 or so.

I forget his name, but he was such a stiff.

I agree to start Olvio, I think he will be good, and I am glad to see Sandy as mentor on the team.

Was reading the Sports Illustrated issue that came out just before the Super Bowl (I am behind on my reading) and was interested to read that AL pitchers were trashing on IRod for not attending meetings with pitchers so being unprepared for the games, calling fastballs with runners on base, and other things - some AL scout really trashed on IRod's skills - so maybe we came out way ahead not signing him - sounds like a bigger cancer than dare I say Clayton -

I remember Robin Ventura as a rookie going 0-57 or something like that - thank God that was in the days before mesage boards - woulld we have patience with a rookie now as we are lucky the Sox did with Robin? Patience is sometimes a good thing and pays huge dividends with young players

That's a damn good point about Ventura. However, even then, you could see that Robin was a hitter.