Opening Day Question!!!!

Rooftop Shots

I looked back on previous schedules, and I noticed that for the last 5 years The Sox started opening day on the road, and ended the year 3 of the 5 on the road. Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't teams supposed to switch on and off every year as to who starts and ends on the road and at home? It doesn't seem fair why we always start off on road trips and end up on them as well! Anyone have a clue how the "System" works?? Thanks!!!!

Truth is there is no system. Creating a composite schedule for 30 teams is difficult. They try not to start too many teams in cold weather cities at home. They have to factor any dates that teams must be on the road due to shared stadiums. The interleague portion of the schedule is not easy either, with 16 teams in one league and 14 in the other. Add in early season games in foreign countries.

Other "traditions" are also taken into account, sucn as Cincinnati always opening at home. There may be certain teams that are always home on certain dates, such as the 4th of July.

So there are no real rules about beginning or ending each season at home or on the road. They may try to balance out those aspects over time, but in a given year, it mostly depends on other factors.

The Sox request to start on the road due to the crapola weather we have here in early April. Last years home opener with all that rain and nasty cold was brutal!

Thanks!! Didn't know it was because of Sox request! I thought that big brewha's

of MLB made the shedules as they please! !Didn't know we could have an input! I still think that it stinks that when a division comes down to the wire why we are always on the road though!!

Truth is there is no system.  Creating a composite schedule for 30 teams is difficult.  They try not to start too many teams in cold weather cities at home.  They have to factor any dates that teams must be on the road due to shared stadiums.  The interleague portion of the schedule is not easy either, with 16 teams in one league and 14 in the other.  Add in early season games in foreign countries.

Other "traditions" are also taken into account, sucn as Cincinnati always opening at home. There may be certain teams that are always home on certain dates, such as the 4th of July. 

So there are no real rules about beginning or ending each season at home or on the road.  They may try to balance out those aspects over time, but in a given year, it mostly depends on other factors.

What is the Reds tradition?

I believe the Reds open at home because they were the first professional baseball team. It has just always been that way. Before these overseas games, and the Sunday season opener on ESPN, they used to be the first game to start, as well.

I believe the Reds open at home because they were the first professional baseball team.  It has just always been that way.  Before these overseas games, and the Sunday season opener on ESPN, they used to be the first game to start, as well.

Thanks.

Yas, like always, you hit it right on the head.

Indeed Yas did hit that one out of the park

I am very glad we have a late opening day - at least I can get thbrough Easter without taking off a day or two, although on the other hand, right before tax day isn't going to be fun

I believe the Reds open at home because they were the first professional baseball team.  It has just always been that way.  Before these overseas games, and the Sunday season opener on ESPN, they used to be the first game to start, as well.

That is correct. I believe they were the Cincinnati Red Leggings or Stockings

The New York Penisfaces!!!

Steve.... I gotta say it man! You're brutal!!!!!! Couldn't help but laugh...........

but man o man, You're brutal!!!! I also hate the Yankees, but my hatred for the Cubs is probably 4 times more brutal than your Yankee description! Gotta say it one more time....................... Whhhhooooooeeeeeeeee, You're brutal, man!!!

Speaking of original names.....  anyone want to guess the original name of the New York Yankees?

A large ice cold beer to anyone who can guess without trying to look it up.  The honor system is in effect.

Their original names were the Highlanders (honor system in full effect), but never mind that one.......SuperSteve's is much more fitting. :lol:

Their original names were the Highlanders (honor system in full effect), but never mind that one.......SuperSteve's is much more fitting.  :lol:

Actually it was not the Highlanders....... Don't take it personally, that was my guess too. The correct answer was a shock to me.