Hockey is Good

But I went to hockey games each of the last two nights and I'm all of a sudden turning into a hockey fan.

On Saturday I saw the Wings play the Kings and then yesterday the Ducks play the Wings. Both games were good, Sundays was action packed (14 goals between the two teams).

I liked the intensity, speed, and hitting. I also like how you can see the flow so much better in person, etc. On tv you can't really see the next pass as well as you can when your in person.

All I know, is I think hockey is the 2nd best sport to watch in person (next to baseball). And I'm going to try and follow it more often now. Slowly I've started to learn the rules.

I'm leaning towards rooting for the Kings, but not sure yet. I'd root for the Hawks, but screw it, I like enough teams with s***ty owners.

The reason you enjoyed the games is because the Red Wings are a quality hockey team, who play the game "dee rye wayee". ( Sorry, but I have to Oz that up every time now... :D ) They play aggressively and attack on offense, but are usually solid on defense and have good goaltending ( Legace is hugely under-rated ).

Detroit is a top-flight hockey operation and they seem to get the most out of their talent. They play ( and pay ) like they actually WANT to win the Stanley Cup every year, and they never seem to cheap their fans out of favorite players like a certain West Side Hockey Disorgan-I-zation.

I think you hit on an imporant point.  I think lots of people don't like hockey because they don't understand the rules and the finer points of the game.  If you, or anyone else has any questions, feel free to ask.

Yeah, I have a very dumb question. So no one laugh.

What exactly is icing, and when is it called?

Yeah, I have a very dumb question.  So no one laugh.

What exactly is icing, and when is it called?

It is when the puck is shot from behind center ice, by an offensive player, and it goes all of the way down past that teams goalline, and is first touched by a defensive player. If the goalie or the offensive player is the first to touch the puck the icing is waved off, and play continues on.

It is when the puck is shot from behind center ice, by an offensive player, and it goes all of the way down past that teams goalline, and is first touched by a defensive player.  If the goalie or the offensive player is the first to touch the puck the icing is waved off, and play continues on.

Alright, thanks. Because whenever I play hockey video games or watch hockey, they are like, "And that will be touched for icing." And I'm thinking, "What in the world is icing?" But now I know, thanks.

Alright, thanks.  Because whenever I play hockey video games or watch hockey, they are like, "And that will be touched for icing."  And I'm thinking, "What in the world is icing?"  But now I know, thanks.

BTW in a video game, it is much more fun to turn off icing and offsides ;)

Ya, by the 2nd game I started figuring some things out. I mean I play hockey about twice a month, but I just started to and I had never learned the rules.

We don't play with icing, offsides or anything like that.

The thing I noticed and actually kind of liked (when I never really watched - I didn't like it) was how once the puck goes back across the blue line (essentially its cleared) everyone on the offense has to get back onside and then they can get back into an offensive set.

I thought it was really boring to watch that, but now that I kind of understand the meaning behind it, its a lot more interesting. As is when a player is busting his ass down behind the goal to try and prevent an icing.

And Critic, I know what you mean about the Wings. Their passing and all around game was outstanding. I was rooting for them the pass two nights because of Chelios. He's a class guy and its good he got to go to a real team, instead of the crap that is called the Blackhawks (Although I like Arnasson, Ruutu and Bell). I just don't think I could hop right in and root for them, it would make me feel like a bandwagoner in a sense. I could go for the Kings, they have a pretty quality ownership that at least tries. Plus they are local.

I think I'm just going to watch some more games and take note of who I like.

Now if only hockey prices weren't so damn expensive. I had free tickets the past two nights, but face was like 30 bucks on them and those are the cheap seats.

The thing I noticed and actually kind of liked (when I never really watched - I didn't like it) was how once the puck goes back across the blue line (essentially its cleared) everyone on the offense has to get back onside and then they can get back into an offensive set. 

I thought it was really boring to watch that, but now that I kind of understand the meaning behind it, its a lot more interesting.  As is when a player is busting his ass down behind the goal to try and prevent an icing.

This is one of the rule changes that has been proposed in the NHL. Right now if a puck goes in offsides the puck has to come out of the zone, along with all of the players, before it can be reentered onsides. The proposal is that if a player is offsides, HE would only have to exit and reenter the zone. I think it would help to add some scoring to the game, as a play could continue, instead of a whole play being scrapped because one guy is in early.

This is one of the rule changes that has been proposed in the NHL.  Right now if a puck goes in offsides the puck has to come out of the zone, along with all of the players, before it can be reentered onsides.  The proposal is that if a player is offsides, HE would only have to exit and reenter the zone.  I think it would help to add some scoring to the game, as a play could continue, instead of a whole play being scrapped because one guy is in early.

That part makes sense to me. Its stupid that one player can be offsides. My thought is if they don't get the puck they should be alright (Kind of like in soccer, how a player can be offsides as long as the ball isn't passed their way).

I was thinking the NHL wanted to get rid of the rule altogether.

Jas, Where did you sit when you went to the games? Sitting on the side or the rink, or behind the goal makes a huge difference in watching a hockey game.

IMO, sitting behind the goal, in an upper deck is the best place to watch a hockey game. You really get to see a play develop and the mechanics of the game.

1st game I sat behind the goal in the upper deck

2nd game I sat in the middle in the upper deck and for the 2nd period we scooted on down behind the goal in the lower area.

It was my personal opinion that I liked the higher seats a little more cause it seemed a lot easier to follow the puck and see the plays. My friends called me crazy.

Jas, Where did you sit when you went to the games? Sitting on the side or the rink, or behind the goal makes a huge difference in watching a hockey game.

IMO, sitting behind the goal, in an upper deck is the best place to watch a hockey game. You really get to see a play develop and the mechanics of the game.

IMO it is the best place to sit when you are learning the game. From up above the game plays out like a blackboard.

I LOVE to sit rinkside. I love the sounds and the feelings of the game, now that I understand it enough to know what is going on and what the stategies are.

oh hockey is so great in person and playoff hockey is just phenomenal. I love hockey and really hope there isnt a lockout or strike. Also, a big part of it is knowing the rules. The idea is the most simple of any sport, just put the puck in the net. But all the small rules is what probably turns a lot of people off. I'm pretty sure with just about every rule of the game, even penalties and their assessment, but if you dont know than trying to follow a game could get very confusing.

I cant wait to till the playoffs, because in my opinion the Stanley Cup Playoffs are second only to the Men's NCAA Tourney

oh hockey is so great in person and playoff hockey is just phenomenal. I love hockey and really hope there isnt a lockout or strike. Also, a big part of it is knowing the rules. The idea is the most simple of any sport, just put the puck in the net. But all the small rules is what probably turns a lot of people off. I'm pretty sure with just about every rule of the game, even penalties and their assessment, but if you dont know than trying to follow a game could get very confusing.

I cant wait to till the playoffs, because in my opinion the Stanley Cup Playoffs are second only to the Men's NCAA Tourney

I think by far the Stanley Cup Playoffs are the most intense and hardest to win of all the major sports. You've got to win 16 games, it's purely the best teams, it's physical, the mental part is just as important, and as each round passes, the games become that much better.

I think that's why I like hockey even more then baseball... although don't get me wrong, I like to kick back at a baseball game pretty darn good too.

And I can help ya out with questions too... been watching hockey for lots of years...

And Critic, I know what you mean about the Wings.  Their passing and all around game was outstanding.  I was rooting for them the pass two nights because of Chelios.  He's a class guy and its good he got to go to a real team, instead of the crap that is called the Blackhawks (Although I like Arnasson, Ruutu and Bell). 

Chelios is not a "class guy." He is a traitor. Say what you want about how its nice for him to play for a team with a decent shot at the Stanley Cup, but he is the same Chelios who went on TV denying that he'd ever want to play for any other team than the Hawks and then 2 weeks later got traded to the Red Wings because he had been demanding that trade while at the same time denying any such wish for a trade.

What he did was no different than what if Frank Thomas demanded to be traded to the Twins or if Mark Prior demanded to be traded to the Cardinals or if Walter Payton had demanded to be traded to the Packers. What Chelios did was nothing short of wholesale betrayal of the Blackhawks fans. Had he forced a trade to any team other than either the Blues or the Red Wings, that would have been one thing but forcing a trade to join up with one the Hawks most hated rivals, that's just plain wrong.

Remember, during his time with the Hawks, Chelios was constantly blabbering about his Chicago roots, how he'd never leave Chicago and how he absolutely hated the "De Toilet Dead Things" as he often termed the most hated rivals. Also, after the trade, folks just stopped going to his mom's restaurant and for a time it looked like it was going to go bust. Chelios got all indignant and acted as if Chicago folks owed him and his mom to go eat at that place because of his having been on the Hawks. Chelios is one self-absorbed jackass.

Anyone who considers Chelios to be a "class guy" has no idea what class is all about.

P.S.: Also, how can you say that you like "Arnasson"? Any player who slacks off most of a season until his coach shoves him against a wall of a Nashville bar and then, and only then, starts playing up to his true abilities, is not the kind of guy that I'd want on my team.

The reason you enjoyed the games is because the Red Wings are a quality hockey team, who play the game "dee rye wayee". ( Sorry, but I have to Oz that up every time now... :D ) They play aggressively and attack on offense, but are usually solid on defense and have good goaltending ( Legace is hugely under-rated ).

Detroit is a top-flight hockey operation and they seem to get the most out of their talent. They play ( and pay ) like they actually WANT to win the Stanley Cup every year, and they never seem to cheap their fans out of favorite players like a certain West Side Hockey Disorgan-I-zation.

I love how all the Slackhawk apologists over at Blackhawkzone.com whine and cry about what a s***ty organization Detroit is yet they are the same people who continue to stuff the pockets of Dollar Bill Wirtz with cash even though they know damn well that they will never spend any money to improve the team.

It really kills me how stupid some Slackhawk fans are.

oh hockey is so great in person and playoff hockey is just phenomenal. I love hockey and really hope there isnt a lockout or strike. Also, a big part of it is knowing the rules.

Agree with this 100%!!! :headbang :headbang :headbang

I, too, hope there is no lockout. The Canes are looking up and when they get O'Neil back next year (if there is a next year) they will be in even better shape. Also, I don't want a lockout cuz I just go into hockey about 3 or 4 years ago and don't want to have to go through a winter without.

Also, I don't want a lockout cuz I just go into hockey about 3 or 4 years ago and don't want to have to go through a winter without.

Wolves, baby......Wolves.....don't worry about it not being NHL hockey, cuz what's been going on at the UC for 5 of the last 6 years ain't NHL hockey anyway, it's the TWO-POINT GIVEAWAY.

Agree with this 100%!!! :headbang  :headbang  :headbang

I, too, hope there is no lockout.  The Canes are looking up and when they get O'Neil back next year (if there is a next year) they will be in even better shape.  Also, I don't want a lockout cuz I just go into hockey about 3 or 4 years ago and don't want to have to go through a winter without.

yes, i am so excited about Florida next season. Everyone knows about Luongo but they have so many highly touted prospects that are just gonna keep getting better (Bouwmeester, Weiss, Nedorost, Krajicek, Kolnik, Horton)

This is one of the rule changes that has been proposed in the NHL.  Right now if a puck goes in offsides the puck has to come out of the zone, along with all of the players, before it can be reentered onsides.  The proposal is that if a player is offsides, HE would only have to exit and reenter the zone.  I think it would help to add some scoring to the game, as a play could continue, instead of a whole play being scrapped because one guy is in early.

I think what I would rather see is red line (center line) taken out of the two-line pass. They do that in Europe and it really opens up the game.

For those who do not know, a two line pass is, just what it's name says, a player passes a puck across 2 of the lines. The lines I'm talking about are the two blue lines near center ice and the center line. I apologize if that was confusing.

I love how all the Slackhawk apologists over at Blackhawkzone.com whine and cry about what a s***ty organization Detroit is yet they are the same people who continue to stuff the pockets of Dollar Bill Wirtz with cash even though they know damn well that they will never spend any money to improve the team.

It really kills me how stupid some Slackhawk fans are.

Cant you say the same about us Sox fans, too, then? We support the Sox. When have they put a team on the field that has actually been a team that could probably compete for a CHAMPIONSHIP? Surely not this year, nor the past couple of years (last year is an exception, I appreciate how Kenny Williams traded for some big players.). I know the Sox are a much better organization than the Hawks, but the Hawks are heading in the right direction; I don't care that we aren't winning this year. They finally went young, oh well, so what if we lose this year, It'll pay off down the road. I'm just HOPING, once guys like Ruutu and others ask for a contract extension, they'll sign them.

EDIT: Let me add that I cannot stand people who even try to compare the NBA to the NHL. I cannot watch the NBA anymore, I just can't. There are a few teams who I think I can watch, the Kings come to mind, but the majority of the NBA is BORING. NCAA Tournament is a different story, I'll watch that any day over the NBA, hell, even some hockey games. I've been to a Bulls Playoff Game, a Blackhawk Playoff Game, and a Bears Playoff game. For those of you who are have been to a Blackhawk playoff game, the feeling is just indescribable (sorry if that isnt a word) when the National Anthem is being sung. It's so crazy, it's awesome. Bears games are very fun too. The Bulls game was pretty cool, but that was back during the championship run with Jordan and Pipp.

I think what I would rather see is red line (center line) taken out of the two-line pass.  They do that in Europe and it really opens up the game.

For those who do not know, a two line pass is, just what it's name says, a player passes a puck across 2 of the lines.  The lines I'm talking about are the two blue lines near center ice and the center line.  I apologize if that was confusing.

They actually experimented with this in the IHL about 5 years ago, and it sucked. It turned into long dump passes. I didn't like it at all.

Cant you say the same about us Sox fans, too, then?  We support the Sox.  When have they put a team on the field that has actually been a team that could probably compete for a CHAMPIONSHIP?  Surely not this year, nor the past couple of years (last year is an exception, I appreciate how Kenny Williams traded for some big players.).  I know the Sox are a much better organization than the Hawks, but the Hawks are heading in the right direction; I don't care that we aren't winning this year.  They finally went young, oh well, so what if we lose this year, It'll pay off down the road.  I'm just HOPING, once guys like Ruutu and others ask for a contract extension, they'll sign them.

EDIT:  Let me add that I cannot stand people who even try to compare the NBA to the NHL.  I cannot watch the NBA anymore, I just can't.  There are a few teams who I think I can watch, the Kings come to mind, but the majority of the NBA is BORING.  NCAA Tournament is a different story, I'll watch that any day over the NBA, hell, even some hockey games.  I've been to a Bulls Playoff Game, a Blackhawk Playoff Game, and a Bears Playoff game.  For those of you who are have been to a Blackhawk playoff game, the feeling is just indescribable (sorry if that isnt a word) when the National Anthem is being sung.  It's so crazy, it's awesome.  Bears games are very fun too. The Bulls game was pretty cool, but that was back during the championship run with Jordan and Pipp.

I disagree on that one. We b**** and cry about Reinsey & KW all the time and some of it is justified but the two of them are a damn sight better than Dollar Bill and Pully.

well in my opinion it is essential that they remove the instigator penalty. Also, they need to remove the two line pass. It would help the flow of the game imo and reduce the effectiveness of the trap that teams do so much of now. A third thing, which i doubt will happen, is that if they widened the rink a few feet on each side, that too could make a difference. I believe it's wider in international competition but im not positive on that