Attendance was only 11,000 today!!

maggsmaggs

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do wonder sometimes if it's even possible to draw 3 Mill on the South Side anymore.....barring a 115-win super-squad.

Has it ever been done?

Hell...take away the half-price stuff and 1.9 Mill figure is even less impressive. Raise the ticket prices to the MLB big city average, and Sox might not draw 1.5 Mill.

Molto and Tizzle had some nice ideas, but ultimately too vague. Marketing, neighborhood, commute....details please - afterall, I am not the college-educated one here :lol: .

Cheap seats pricing for regular (not value or half price games) in April

Braves - $1 - $15

Mets - $5 - $12

Dodgers - $6

Yankees - $8 - $10

Red Sox - $12

Cubs - $14 - $17

White Sox - $12 - 17

How are we such a bargain comparatively? I got a super tight budget. If I'm going to a game, I'm getting the cheapest seat I can.

Braves - $1 - $15

Mets - $5 - $12

Dodgers - $6

Yankees - $8 - $10

Red Sox - $12

Cubs - $14 - $17

White Sox - $12 - 17

How are we such a bargain comparatively? I got a super tight budget. If I'm going to a game, I'm getting the cheapest seat I can.

Is this UD only, right?

I am sure they've crunched the numbers and didn't think it's financially feasible.

Obviousy, when I asked the 3 Million Dolla, er, Attendance Question, cutting the ticket price down to peanuts didn't occur to me -- 3 Mill is a magical figure, but only if the tickets are still at major league average levels.

I am coming from the 80+ Mill payroll perspective here. Right now, it would take 3 Million fans to accomplish that -- not so much because it will make the necessary dough -- I am sure Reiny has the money already -- but rather because it's symbolic, it would send the message that Sox fans are BACK with a bang.

As far as super-tight budgets go....How about taking your family to a Cineplex 3 times a month instead of 6, or buying your ADD-riddled kids 50 disposable toys instead of a 100....and instead using that money to make special memories at the Ballgame 2-3 times a summer?

If the desire is there, anything is accomplishable. If not, the excuses will fly.

<clip>

but to exclude value or half price games (and ther number thereof) means the comparisons are incomplete

there are games where you can get in for $6, right, at USCF?

If 1.9 Mill was roughly 22K per game, then in order to clear the 3 Mill mark, it has to exceet 35K or something along those lines.

Right now the capacity is 38K, right?

The Opener, the Yankee series and Cub series = sell-out

So the rest of the home games would have to average 33-34 K.

So far, the "rest" = 13 K. Close enough

I dont have a family to buy crap for. I still have a tight budget

UD ticket is what, 10 bucks. Parking/L. Eat before the game. Sneak a drink/snack in, easy as hell.

You don't have to spend $300 every time to enjoy a ballgame. Sure, 2-3 outings a summer with friends and such you can afford to "break bank" (ever go to restaurants?), but if we're talking April game, a blast can be had for real cheap.

less magnet days.

wtf is wrong with magnet days? :angry:

it seems that dog day is an attraction for 250 people. What should be advertizsed is that at any of 82 home games you can bring your dog and board the dog at USCF for $3 which in my case costs me $6 to board both dogs as opposed to $52 ($13 a day for one dog, $15 for the other) two day boarding fees I'd have to pay at the cheapest good local kennel because it is an overnight trip.

And there is a lot of good stuff at USCF like that.

It always seems to cost me more to go anywhere else than to a game at USCF. It sure is cheaper there than Comerica.

My general beef is that baseball is just too f'n expensive to watch in person. But I'm gettin out there soon. Probably see the Tigers first tho, I scored some free tix for the spring. :headbang

The point about the magnet days is that the Sox need to be more inventive about why folks are coming to the park, if they want to get more asses in the seat. The Cubs sell a lot of tickets. Why? Because, its not a park, its a beer garden with a game happening.

My general beef is that baseball is just too f'n expensive to watch in person. But I'm gettin out there soon. Probably see the Tigers first tho, I scored some free tix for the spring.  :headbang

The point about the magnet days is that the Sox need to be more inventive about why folks are coming to the park, if they want to get more asses in the seat. The Cubs sell a lot of tickets. Why? Because, its not a park, its a beer garden with a game happening.

but I most definately do not want to go to a beer garden with a game going on

I really don't want that at all

I'd quit going if that is what happened to USCF

and why imitate the north side?

other than that the art of drinking and partying flourishes at USCF without being a beer garden (and some fine times happen in those regards) that only increases expense to go.

But if USCF ever approaches the wrigley atmosphere I quit going

I never said it was what the White Sox should do. But until we have a winning tradition to put butts in the seats, we have to market the ball game the right way. Maybe a good start for the Sox would be for Reinsdorf to invest in the community around it and put it in a couple homer bars.... and a few nice restaurants.

I'd hate to watch a game at another Wrigley, but it would be cool if there was SOMETHING around the park to hang out at.

I never said it was what the White Sox should do. But until we have a winning tradition to put butts in the seats, we have to market the ball game the right way. Maybe a good start for the Sox would be for Reinsdorf to invest in the community around it and put it in a couple homer bars.... and a few nice restaurants.

I'd hate to watch a game at another Wrigley, but it would be cool if there was SOMETHING around the park to hang out at.

all that local development is happening, in the works now

I like it now because I like the convenience of parking

on saturday nights I have to come back, I am getting home at 2 am - 3 am as it is

the upscale local development is coming and we will live with it, however, for its good and bad

Really what did you expect with what the Sox did in the off season. Even the home opener wasnt a sell out with only 37K attending. It will take the Sox playing well into May where people start giving them a chance and start coming out.

And I dont blame them. I planned to purchase 4 season tickets for my business and family use. After the nothing that was the offseason I dont plan on going to more then a handful of games. As a businessman I know that you need to spend money to make money.

It is almost impossible for a sports team to field a championship caliber team every year. Drafts, injuries, and luck all conspire against it.

Teams have to build a fan base that will go to the games for the sake of being at the game.

I watched this season as the Rio Grande Killer Bee hockey team started up on the Mexico border and almost took every local resident and taught them hockey. They are constantly in the schools giving stuff away, player promos, etc. They lost in the first round of the playoffs but sold out almost every game.

Imagine, I sat in front of a guy who didn't know a Zamboni from a Zabruder. He was typical. They came for the fights but stayed for some decent at times hockey. Kids are going to games to watch the player they met yesterday play.

Its weird how when the Sox won that game 12-5 the next game not even any one was there, and the Cubs get blown out and its like the World Series to those people so fill up the seats...

White Sox fans have work. Some White Sox fans have school. Some White Sox fans live over an hour from the park. Cubs fans on the other hand are either retired, tourists, or business people that don't know anything about baseball. Day games shouldn't be scheduled for the Sox, even if it's cold. I haven't seen one home game all year because of school/baseball, yet alone be able to make it to the park. If the Yankees games don't average about 25,000 then I'll be damned and then begin to wonder why nobody comes to the park.

On a side note, a "sox fan" called into the Sports Page on CLTV and claimed only 10,000 people attended Opening Day. All they talk about on that station is the attendence for the Sox. :fthecubs

White Sox fans have work. Some White Sox fans have school. Some White Sox fans live over an hour from the park. Cubs fans on the other hand are either retired, tourists, or business people that don't know anything about baseball. Day games shouldn't be scheduled for the Sox, even if it's cold. I haven't seen one home game all year because of school/baseball, yet alone be able to make it to the park. If the Yankees games don't average about 25,000 then I'll be damned and then begin to wonder why nobody comes to the park.

On a side note, a "sox fan" called into the Sports Page on CLTV and claimed only 10,000 people attended Opening Day. All they talk about on that station is the attendence for the Sox. :fthecubs

That is a bit of an over simplification of the Cubs - Sox fan base. Most of the head of households today were raised when the Cubs were on WGN and the Sox were on channel 44, a UHF channel with poor reception. While the Channel 9 crystal clear signal was strong and covered from the Loop, damn near to Rockford, Sox fans were stuck watching the games between the snow on the UHF band.

You youngins ask your parents about the days before cable.

Then we had the Sportsvision era.

No, the Cubs raised a generation of baseball fans. The Superstation rode the first cable wave while the Sox ost market share.

CW, am I close?

That is a bit of an over simplification of the Cubs - Sox fan base. Most of the head of households today were raised when the Cubs were on WGN and the Sox were on channel 44, a UHF channel with poor reception. While the Channel 9 crystal clear signal was strong and covered from the Loop, damn near to Rockford, Sox fans were stuck watching the games between the snow on the UHF band.

You youngins ask your parents about the days before cable.

Then we had the Sportsvision era.

No, the Cubs raised a generation of baseball fans. The Superstation rode the first cable wave while the Sox ost market share.

CW, am I close?

on exact target

and then

then Harry engineered the firing of Brickhouse so he could get some Tribune merchandizing connections and after a few years it all together paid off - the Sox outdrew the scrubs a lot (in 84 we outdrew them when they won a division championship) and in the early 90s it was Sox with the numbers -

when the labor action happened in "our year" of 1994 then and only then the tide all turned