Who's afraid of the big bad Royals?

NUKE_CLEVELAND

Wow, with such power pitchers as Brian Anderson and Jimmy Gobble how can we not respect them?

Oh wait? How about Scott "I got booed off the mound every time i pitched for the White Sox" Sullivan.

How bout that lineup too. Tony Graffanino is gonna belt 40 home runs now that he actually has a job, just not sure how many years that'll take.

I am just in awe of them at this point. World series here they come!

Actually, Gobble's a great prospect, who we haven't faced... If he did pitch tommorrow(as was originally scheduled) we might be in trouble...

As it is, I'm happy to see anderson, who although he posted a 5-1 record vs. the Sox last season, got shelled in the opener... WE get to see him a second time in just over a week. I like our chances...

Bring out the brooms... :headbang

Gobble and Grienkie(sp?) are studs. Plus, were not facing Gobble tom. Were facing Anderson. The royals are still dangerous cause they have heart as well. Tony Pena had a group meeting in their dugout and they exploded after that. That team never gives up. Of course, I can we don't eigher..

Gobble and Grienkie(sp?) are studs. Plus, were not facing Gobble tom. Were facing Anderson. The royals are still dangerous cause they have heart as well. Tony Pena had a group meeting in their dugout and they exploded after that. That team never gives up. Of course, I can we don't eigher..

They are dangerous because they have heart...awww... :wub:

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays had heart last year too. They still lost 90 games. Then again, I would not be surprised to see KC lose 90 games either. They are just not.that.good. No starting pitching, a s*** bullpen, an injury prone offense, and a mediocre bench. Pena is an OK manager.

IMO, KC is no better then Tampa Bay...in fact, I would have to think long and hard about who is actually better between the two of them.

BTW, the Sox do have heart as well...however, they do have starting pitching, atleast 2 or 3 good pitchers in the bullpen, a good offense that is not injury prone at all, a mediocre bench, and a good manager. We are easily in much better shape then the Royals.

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays had heart last year too.  They still lost 90 games. 

Also remember those D-Rays games even sweet lou said they could had won if they had a bullpen to hold n onto those leads. They were close in about 85% of those games (should of beat the yankees, M's, A's, Twinkies etc..) The Royals are more of a team that you can score on, but they will come back and bite you in the ass. IMO, I think the D-Rays are better than the Royals, but that's just me.

Have Sox pitchers ever heard of the inside pitch?  Especially to a guy who has 3 HR's against us?  Why hasn't he had his uniform dirtied up yet?  They hit 2 of our batter already, I think Mags was on purpose.

I have no quarlms about brushing back Beltran. It should have been done.

I have no quarlms about brushing back Beltran.  It should have been done.

seeing how these guys don't play again until August, by then hopefully it won't matter.

the thing is, with the Royals and the Sox playing 8 of their last 11 games vs. one another, the season can go to the wire just from the head to head games. Hopefully it will be decided by then.

Bigger then KC and the Yankmes IMO is this series. Remember that this team seems to always play to their level of competition. This series will say if Ozzie really has their attention........

seeing how these guys don't play again until August, by then hopefully it won't matter.

the thing is, with the Royals and the Sox playing 8 of their last 11 games vs. one another, the season can go to the wire just from the head to head games.  Hopefully it will be decided by then.

Bigger then KC and the Yankmes IMO is this series.  Remember that this team seems to always play to their level of competition.  This series will say if Ozzie really has their attention........

My thoughts exactly. If I see Cross Eyed Carl crush my heart one more time I might cry :crying

Bigger then KC and the Yankmes IMO is this series.  Remember that this team seems to always play to their level of competition.  This series will say if Ozzie really has their attention........

If we played to the level of our competition, we'd be playing like s*** right now and this attitude would overwhelmingly good attitude of the Sox would not be on the board.

The Royals are not a good team. They have put together rallies late and have had some damn good comebacks and are still a sub-.500 team. You cannot get comeback every night for 162 games, as it eventually wears on you.

IMO, unless someone steps up or they make a big trade within the next month or two, they are already done, and by done I mean they are a s***ty team and will not be a threat to win the division.

If we played to the level of our competition, we'd be playing like s*** right now and this attitude would overwhelmingly good attitude of the Sox would not be on the board. 

The Royals are not a good team.  They have put together rallies late and have had some damn good comebacks and are still a sub-.500 team.  You cannot get comeback every night for 162 games, as it eventually wears on you. 

IMO, unless someone steps up or they make a big trade within the next month or two, they are already done, and by done I mean they are a s***ty team and will not be a threat to win the division.

At this point in time, I have to disagree with you. Though we beat them 4 out of 5 :headbang it wasn't easy. The Royals never rolled over and played dead. They have a solid lineup and apparently they can really thump. They earned my respect the past two weeks. If they are such a poor team, why was it such a struggle for us to beat them?

At this point in time, I have to disagree with you.  Though we beat them 4 out of 5  :headbang it wasn't easy.  The Royals never rolled over and played dead.  They have a solid lineup and apparently they can really thump.  They earned my respect the past two weeks.  If they are such a poor team, why was it such a struggle for us to beat them?

Two reasons they were so close.

#1 - Pitching, or more specifically, our lack of real good pitching. There was not a starter in the series who did not give up 5 runs, and in two of the three cases, those runs came late in the ball game(when the bullpen should be fired up...something Ozzie will learn with time). And don't get me started on Koch.

#2 - Their offense is clicking right now. IMO, that's almost like stating the obvious. If you score 19 runs in a series, including 9 in one game, you think you'd have the pitching to come away with 1 win...and they didn't. Their offense right now is doing all it can to help, but the pitching is doing nothing to help support it. The offense, in time, will go into a funk and the pitching will have to be there to get it out of a rut. If it is not there, you can count on a huge slump where they could lose 18 of 20. I see them being a team that is very streaky...at this point in time, it kind of reminds me of the 2003 Sox offensively, and the 1998 Sox pitching-wise. We have to continue to win, because just as easily as they could lose 18 of 20, they could also win 15 of 20 with just a little pitching.

However, that lineup is one injury away from losing a lot of its strength. If Gonzo, Sweeney, Beltran...any of them...go down with an injury, they are in a world of hurt.

As I said in my prior post, you cannot come back in every game. If the pitching doesn't step up soon, they.are.done. I personally think they already are, but I could see them rebounding. I just don't think they are that strong of a team. I don't see them matching up real well against the other strong teams in the other divisions...I don't think they can handle the Yanks, Red Sox, A's, or Angels, and they will have big problems with the Mariners, Rangers, Blue Jays and Orioles, and could even have trouble with Tampa Bay too.