Matt Guerrier

Bighurt52235

I hated that deal when it was made and even wrote an article talking about how senial Williams was at the time of the trade.

I love Marte now, but part of me still is dissapointed with this deal for the sole reason that Damaso was going to be place on waivers and we traded a pitcher that was really sucessful and well liked by many of our scouts for a guy being waived.

Of course, Edwin Yan is looking like he could produce as well. Guerrier struggled last year, but I think he'll get a good shot at making the rotation this year in Pittsburgh.

Either way, I'm glad we got Marte.

If Marte continues to be a big part of the Sox bullpen this year (and beyond), and the Sox win as expected, then the trade should not be second guessed.

I do believe Guerrier will still be a solid Major Leaguer, however. But the Sox still have depth in terms of young pitchers, so even thought I would like to see him in a Sox uniform, it looks like that trade will work out well for both teams.

Also, don't be deceived by Guerrier's numbers last year. I looked this up after last season on a bet and was surprised at what I found. In 23 of his 27 starts, he was 7-8 with a 3.09 ERA and excellent hits/IP and K/BB ratios. He gave up 32 ER in the other 4 starts, which were terrible.

Before you argue that every start counts (they do), but I would rather have a pitcher that was pretty darned good in 23/27 starts and bad in 4, then a guy who was downright average over the course of the whole year.

Regardless, unless Marte goes in the tank in a year when it matters, I think the trade can be seen as a good one for both teams.

The title suggests that you would be choosing between Marte or Guerrier....but that's not what the post contains. Just to let you guys know.

Guerrier will be a decent major leaguer....whether it is as a starter or a reliever.

Regardless....I'm happy with having Marte. And there was too big a risk in not trading for Marte....if I understand the waiver system correctly, according to Jayson Stark's 25 rule changes thing, all the NL teams would have gotten a shot at Marte before us, and then the teams in the AL worse than us would have....that is about 20 teams that would have gotten a chance at picking up Marte before us....so waiting for him would have been the wrong decision. I'm glad he traded for Marte....because we needed a lefty and he got us one with a good arm.

i am still unsure of this trade. marte did great at times, howevers i hate it when there were runner in scoring postion.

guerrier will turn out to be a very good middle of the rotation starter.

now if marte can do as well when there is runners on, but as someone said we have a lot of arms and it might have been a good sacrifice to get a really good rp.

i am still unsure of this trade. marte did great at times, howevers i hate it when there were runner in scoring postion.

now if marte can do as well when there is runners on, but as someone said we have a lot of arms and it might have been a good sacrifice to get a really good rp.

All I know is I'm glad we'll have him in our pen this season cause without him, our pen wouldn't be as good as I think it is. I think we have one of the best in the majors, if not the best, but without marte, we'd have more questionmarks and I'd have it as one of the better ones, not one of the best or the best.

All I know is I'm glad we'll have him in our pen this season cause without him, our pen wouldn't be as good as I think it is. I think we have one of the best in the majors, if not the best, but without marte, we'd have more questionmarks and I'd have it as one of the better ones, not one of the best or the best.

minn, oak and arz have a better starters imo but overall as a pen i think that maybe nyy is there with us and yes oak.

this trade reminds me alot of the chad bradford - miguel olivo trade...trading a relief pitcher that could help you now for a player that has a higher ceiling but is a few years away....the difference was that when we traded bradford we also trade for david wells because we were in a win now mode...the timeing wasnt right for us to make that deal...pittsburgh on the other hand is in a win 10 years down the road mode...so its really too early to evaluate this trade but right now but id say unless gurrier turns into the next greg maddux and marte isnt a one year wonder its a win on the sox side..and could very well be a win on the pirates side too...

btw , heather was talking about fate and what happens down the road with trades in another post..here's one to ponder...if we didnt make the bradford - olivo trade and were left with no catcher now...do you any of you think kenny would have seriously went after IROD???..would he be a sox right now if we didnt have olivo???..would the koch deal have been made because johnson would have been the only catcher???...that one trade seems imo to have had a serious effect on our roster...

Awesome point Baggio. First off, if we didn't make that deal then we wouldn't have Koch here right now, because I believe we would be desinted to see Paul and MJ as our catching duo, yet again.

I think Pudge would of been an intriguing choice, but it was obvious he wasn't going to take less money and there is no way the Sox would of spent 10 million or even 8 million on Pudge.

this trade reminds me alot of the chad bradford - miguel olivo trade...trading a relief pitcher that could help you now for a player that has a higher ceiling but is a few years away....the difference was that when we traded bradford we also trade for david wells because we were in a win now mode...the timeing wasnt right for us to make that deal...pittsburgh on the other hand is in a win 10 years down the road mode...so its really too early to evaluate this trade but right now but id say unless gurrier turns into the next greg maddux and marte isnt a one year wonder its a win on the sox side..and could very well be a win on the pirates side too...

btw , heather was talking about fate and what happens down the road with trades in another post..here's one to ponder...if we didnt make the bradford -  olivo trade and were left with no catcher now...do you any of you think kenny would have seriously went after IROD???..would he be a sox right now if we didnt have olivo???..would the koch deal have been made because johnson would have been the only catcher???...that one trade seems imo to have had a serious effect on our roster...

i think he would really have signed the draft choice that we had, he might have held on to mark johnson.

i think he would really have signed the draft choice that we had, he might have held on to mark johnson.

I think he was referring to Tony Richie (sp?) the catcher that went to Florida St and has become an All-American. He was a 2nd or 3rd round pick (I believe) and we didn't sign him. He was very highly regarded and still is.

are you talking about that zeringue guy???..the draft choice???...guess he went to college ...wasnt he also a football player???

Zeringue went to LSU. He played sparingly his freshman year and mostly in the OF. Not sure of his current status in that program. I do not believe he was a football player.

are you talking about that zeringue guy???..the draft choice???...guess he went to college ...wasnt he also a football player???

Zeringue went to LSU.  He played sparingly his freshman year and mostly in the OF.  Not sure of his current status in that program.  I do not believe he was a football player.

nope he just played baseball. he started in the of and then was put behind the plate towards the end where he flourished.

jay moxox who went to lsu as well did not fair as well as zeringue.

Jay Mattox transferred out of LSU, he's going to play for another program, the name escapes me.

Tony Ritchie was a 5th rounder who wanted 1st/2nd round $$ ... it looks like he might turn out to be a good player.

minn, oak and arz have a better starters imo but overall as a pen i think that maybe nyy is there with us and yes oak.

Minnesota, Anaheim, Atlanta, and lots of others. our bullpen is s*** till they prove themselves....which they will :headbang