Sox Retired #s Ceremony Next Tuesday

From Ron Rappaport's column in the Thursday Sun Times:

"When the All Star game came to Chicago last year, the Sox made way for the accompanying pageantry by temporarily dispensing with an indispensable part of their past. The baseball replicas featuring the numbers the team has retired through the years, which were displayed on the facing of the club level at U.S. Cellular Field, were removed to accommodate All Star game bunting and signage.

That left the Sox with a problem they have turned into an opportunity as they restore the tributes to the great Sox players who have received the ultimate honor.

On Tuesday, in ceremonies before a game with the Yankees, Sox fans who have been asking when the numbers will be restored will get their answer. The numbers, along with sepiatoned likenesses of the players, will be unveiled in a spot where they now are hidden by green vinyl - on the left field fence.

The Sox will have a representative for each of the players on hand. Billy Pierce, Harold Baines and Minnie Minoso will be there in person. Ozzie Guillen will represent Luis Aparicio, who was not able to stay in town after appearing at the home opener. Carlton Fisk's daughter will represent the Hall of Fame catcher, who has an out of town commitment.

Nellie Fox's widow, Joanne, and daughters will be there. Chico Carrasquel will represent Luke Appling. A representative is being sought from Ted Lyons' family. And in honor of Jackie Robinson, whose number has been retired by every team, the Sox are working to bring in Rachel, his widow, or Sharon, his daughter.

Sox fans who love their history won't want to miss this historic moment."

It sounds like what the Dodgers have on their fences, and those look really cool. So this could be an outstanding addition to U.S. Cellular field.

I disagree with Rappaport that the retired numbers went down for the All Star game bunting - they were lost in the new ribbon displays and painting scheme.

That said, I thank Al Lopez's Ghost for bringing us that column because I forgot to post the Sox press release on the subject:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Thursday, April 15, 2004

CHICAGO White Sox Unveil Retired Numbers

CHICAGO – The Chicago White Sox will unveil nine retired numbers during a pregame ceremony on Tuesday, April 20 to honor some of the club’s most talented and admired former players. The White Sox will face the New York Yankees at 7:05 p.m.

“Ballpark renovations and last summer’s All-Star Game forced us to temporarily remove the retired numbers,” said Rob Gallas, White Sox senior vice president of marketing and broadcasting. “It took us some time to find a suitable place to display them, because it was important to find a prominent, visible location that would pay appropriate tribute to some of the franchise’s most storied players.”

Nine numbers have been retired by the Chicago White Sox: No. 2 (Nellie Fox); 3 (Harold Baines); 4 (Luke Appling); 9 (Minnie Minoso); 11 (Luis Aparicio); 16 (Ted Lyons); 19 (Billy Pierce); 72 (Carlton Fisk) and 42 (Jackie Robinson, retired by all Major League clubs).

Living players and their families, in addition to family members of the deceased players, have been invited to participate in the ceremony, which will take place at approximately 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 20. Harold and Marla Baines, Mrs. Joanne Fox, the Minoso family, Billy and Gloria Pierce and members of the Fisk family are scheduled to participate. Current players will introduce the retired numbers through brief video tributes on the center field video screen.

-30-

I disagree with Rappaport that the retired numbers went down for the All Star game bunting - they were lost in the new ribbon displays and painting scheme.

The retired numbers where under the club level where they put the pinwheels. The electric banners are up above the club level below the upper boxes.

Would this be a good time to retire 44? :unsure:

IMHO, one of the biggest things that baseball has over football and basketball is the history. People want to see the link to the past. Monument Park at Yankee Stadium looks very cool on TV. I also like the prominent displays.

I hope they leave room for Frank

since the paint job with the remodeling and new color scheme of last season I have been wondering when they would re-honor the retired numbers and how. This sounds cool and I wish I could be there Tuesday.

The most fitting place to retire number 44 might be perhaps in the bleachers or anywhere a home run ball might land.

Nine numbers have been retired by the Chicago White Sox: No. 2 (Nellie Fox); 3 (Harold Baines); 4 (Luke Appling); 9 (Minnie Minoso); 11 (Luis Aparicio); 16 (Ted Lyons); 19 (Billy Pierce); 72 (Carlton Fisk) and 42 (Jackie Robinson, retired by all Major League clubs).

Get ready to add Frank's number to that list when he retires.. ;) :ph34r: