Gload at 3B?

BrandoFan

Mobility? Check.

Good arm? Check.

Infield experience? Check.

Throws LH? Yep, that could be a problem....

With Crede's cartoonishly low OPS, I think he lost the right to hit against RHP. Sox don't have the luxury to wait for him to heat it up in July like last year.

Let's try it and see what happens,

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mobility?  Check.

Good arm?  Check.

Infield experience?  Check.

Throws LH?    Yep, that could be a problem....

With Crede's cartoonishly low OPS, I think he lost the right to hit against RHP.  Sox don't have the luxury to wait for him to heat it up in July like last year.

Gload has a role on the team, it's not as a backup 3B.

He's never played 3B before, even in the minors, to my knowledge.

Why would he be qualfied to be Crede's replacement?

Crede's defense hasn't suffered, let him play through it. He's still a younger guy, he needs some confidence shown in him.

Why would he be qualfied to be Crede's replacement?

Because he has the tools to be a solid 3B and has been swinging well in the lmiited time he's been given. He deserves to be in the line-up against RHP -- and it can't be Konerko's spot because Sox are auditioning him for other teams.

Crede has lost the job and unless he shortens the swing, he won't get it back.

Ty it once and if it works stick to it. If it doesn't, then Crede will be back out there, killing the Sox with his bat.

Mobility?  Check.

Good arm?  Check.

Infield experience?  Check.

Throws LH?    Yep, that could be a problem....

With Crede's cartoonishly low OPS, I think he lost the right to hit against RHP.  Sox don't have the luxury to wait for him to heat it up in July like last year.

I'm not surprised you posted this.

You need to let players get through their struggles. Afterall, even the best have them.

You need to let players get through their struggles.

Screw that. Time to struggle was 2002. He also struggled in 2003. This is the new year, and last time I checked the ALC pennant race is already under way.

Afterall, even the best have them.

Oh wake up. Crede doesn't have the batspeed to have the swing arc as long/loopy as it is now or to be battling 0-2/1-2 counts in every at bat. He's been jaw-droppingly bat against RHP and was lucky his grounder wasn't a game-ending DP. He doesn't want to change or he can't change, matters very little.

Gload is a corner infielder by trade. He's been spraying line-drives (even if many of them foul) in almost every at bat he's had. Has deceptive speed suitable for Ozzieball. The very least Sox owe him is to let him start against some RHP at 3B for a few games and see if it works. Joe can still start against LHP, and if he starts mashing them, phase him back in and Gload goes back to his current role.

Sure beats starting him in CF ;)

Crede is our 3rd baseman. Gload isn't capable of handling the spot. That type of transition would be very tough, especially for a left hander, since they couldn't go to the hole. Yes, they would be good at shots down the line, but thats about it, but it would be awful hard to range to the hole between short and 3rd.

Brando ... I think you're arguing just to argue.

Gload throws left handed. There's a reason why there have been only a handful of left handed throwing 3B in the history of the game.

Gload hasn't played the position, he's 28, he can play 1B, LF, and RF. Maybe CF in an extreme emergency, like a bus accident or something.

Gload might deserve more playing time, but he's not a 3B.

Crede hasn't lost the job, how did you come to that conclusion?

Read my post better, damn.

He lost the PRIVILEGE to start against RHP as far as I am concerned. Looks terrible against them.

Sox owe him NOTHING; this isn't developmental league.

Uribe earned his way into starting -- and he was considered more raw than Joe coming in.

Rowand is just missing a HR every other at bat. Earned it for now.

Konerko brought the big stick. That's why he plays.

Olivo took away some of Sandy's atbats. Looking good.

Why the hell should Joe start every day when he clearly hasn't learned his lessons well?

Gload has the tools to play 3B, there is no denying that. Whether it will work and wheather he will hit is another story. When it's broke, FIX it.

Joe has the talent to win the job back and he will be starting against LHP and against some RHP.

Nobody is "giving up" on anybody here. Just doing what's best for the team right now.

Read my post better, damn.

He lost the PRIVILEGE to start against RHP as far as I am concerned.  Looks terrible against them.

Sox owe him NOTHING; this isn't developmental league.

Uribe earned his way into starting -- and he was considered more raw than Joe coming in.

Rowand is just missing a HR every other at bat.  Earned it for now.

Konerko brought the big stick.  That's why he plays.

Olivo took away some of Sandy's atbats.  Looking good.

Why the hell should Joe start every day when he clearly hasn't learned his lessons well?

Gload has the tools to play 3B, there is no denying that. Whether it will work and wheather he will hit is another story. When it's broke, FIX it.

Joe has the talent to win the job back and he will be starting against LHP and against some RHP. 

Nobody is "giving up" on anybody here. Just doing what's best for the team right now.

Then say what you mean, don't leave it open to interpretation.

You said: "Crede has lost the job ... "

And now you say he's lost the privilege to start against RHP.

Big difference.

Guillen disagrees with you apparently. I'm not sure how a guy who throws lefthanded has the tools to play 3B. One of the most important tools of a 3B is throwing righthanded. Same thing with catcher.

Best for the team to get Gload's bat in the lineup more consistently? Maybe so.

At 3B? No way.

And if a left-handed 3B doesn't work out, maybe Jim Abbott can come back and we can have a ONE-HANDED left-handed 3B....and then if THAT doesn't work, maybe a monkey who throws the ball with his tail....and then if THAT doesn't work, maybe......tinker tinker tinker....thought we were done with that....

No he hasn't.

Jose got injured so Uribe is getting most of the PT at short. When Jose comes back off the DL I gaurentee Uribe goes back to the bench.

Ozzie has already said Willie is still his second basemen despite his struggles so until he benches Willie for Uribe permenently, Uribe hasn't earned anything put a spot on the bench. ( And don't get me wrong I like him, I just disagree with you that he earned a starting spot)

If any1 replaces Crede at 3rd it will be Uribe not Gload. We need our best defensive team out there to help our pitchers. There's otha 3rd baseman around the league strugglin too like Morgan Ensberg so Crede's not alone. Even Frank wasn't hittin the ball well at all bf the last home series against Tampa Bay so things can turn around for ya.

GLOAD THROWS LEFTY, HE CAN'T PLAY THIRD.

I don't know why people think he can.

It's not "people" as much as it's good ol' me :lol:

I admited it would be a bit unconventional, but can one game hurt?

With regard to LH throwing, there are minusus as well as pluses, and with Joe's 500 OPS (much lower than Willie) and slow-footedness, I am willing to exhaust options.

It's not "people" as much as it's good ol' me  :lol:

I admited it would be a bit unconventional, but can one game hurt?

With regard to LH throwing, there are minusus as well as pluses, and with Joe's 500 OPS (much lower than Willie) and slow-footedness, I am willing to exhaust options.

someone brought this up the other day, not sure who it was, but that's twice in a three day span

Then say what you mean, don't leave it open to interpretation.

You said:  "Crede has lost the job ... "

And now you say he's lost the privilege to start against RHP.

Big difference.

Guillen disagrees with you apparently.  I'm not sure how a guy who throws lefthanded has the tools to play 3B.  One of the most important tools of a 3B is throwing righthanded.  Same thing with catcher.

Best for the team to get Gload's bat in the lineup more consistently?  Maybe so.

At 3B?  No way.

What was said was

With Crede's cartoonishly low OPS, I think he lost the right to hit against RHP

I wouldn't presume to know what Ozzie or Kenny want to do here, just my own opinion on what SHOULD be done. You and others disagree, fine.