What should KW shop for?

I know it's early and a move now is very unlikely, but what position should Kenny Williams make a deal for?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. I know it's early and a move now is very unlikely, but what position should Kenny Williams make a deal for?

• Closer
    • #5 Starter
    • 2B
    • CF
    • LH bat off the bench

If the season was approaching the trade deadline and we were in first place or very close to it, I would want KW shopping for a closer. Although I would really like a quality 5th starter I think we might already have one in Cotts, Diaz, or Rauch. And with the team we have now I think there is a good chance we can win the division. In the playoffs we will not need a 5th starter, so unless we can get a very cheap and a very good starter, I'll take a pass. Also, between Uribe, Harris, and Valentin we have a good little trio up the middle. Not great, but good. And as far as centerfielders go, I think it would be hard to find one and I'm hoping ARow's bat heats up. After those deductions, we're left without a closer. That's assuming Koch, Marte, or whoever else Ozzie sends out their in the ninth can't fill that role.

Give me a goddamn ace already.

No can't do -- no money. Gonna have to wait till the ASB and the team is up by 5-7 games.

In the meantime, obviously Brian Roberts's value just shot up. We could have had him for realtively cheap when he was slumping. Was 2 for 3 today with 2 walks and the only out was a HR distance FO. One of his doubles missed a HR by literally a foot. Two more steals (9 or 10 already). OBP knocking on 380 and rising.

No can't do -- no money. Gonna have to wait till the ASB and the team is up by 5-7 games.

In the meantime, obviously Brian Roberts's value just shot up.  We could have had him for realtively cheap when he was slumping. Was 2 for 3 today with 2 walks and the only out was a HR distance FO. Two more steals (9 or 10 already).  OBP knocking on 380 and rising.

I know you like Roberts, but I bet we could get Hairston Jr. cheaper now, IIRC it was the opposite way before the season.

In the meantime, obviously Brian Roberts's value just shot up.  We could have had him for realtively cheap when he was slumping. Was 2 for 3 today with 2 walks and the only out was a HR distance FO. Two more steals (9 or 10 already).  OBP knocking on 380 and rising.

I'm not talking now...I'm talking midseason. I think that's what the creator of the thread was intending. It's just a little early to be discussing mid-season deals, considering we have single digit losses still, but it's fun nonetheless.

Roberts would have been nice, but Harris is hitting .280 or so, and we all know about Baby-Berroa. Can't argue with that.

What this team needs is a new starting pitcher. Currently the Sox have 2 #1 Starter quality pitchers in Loaiza and Schoeneweiss and 2 #5 Starter quality pitchers in Garland and the declining Mark Buehrle. This team is winning in spite of most of the starting rotation, not because of it. Instead of going for a new #5 Starter, KW needs to pick up someone better than that. Ideally, it would be someone such as Cincinnati's Cory Lidle or the Milwaukee Brewers Ben Sheets. I'd say that a straight up trade of Carlos Lee for either one of these 2 guys would be a fair deal.

What this team needs is a new starting pitcher.  Currently the Sox have 2 #1 Starter quality pitchers in Loaiza and Schoeneweiss and 2 #5 Starter quality pitchers in Garland and the declining Mark Buehrle.  This team is winning in spite of most of the starting rotation, not because of it.  Instead of going for a new #5 Starter, KW needs to pick up someone better than that.  Ideally, it would be someone such as Cincinnati's Cory Lidle or the Milwaukee Brewers Ben Sheets.  I'd say that a straight up trade of Carlos Lee for either one of these 2 guys would be a fair deal.

Cory Lidle is not a quality starting pitcher, othawise Toronto would hav kept him. Ben Sheets I would luv to hav, he's throwin 99 MPH on his fastball now, but Doug Melvin wants 3 quality prospects / players for him. Call me crazy, but if Oakland don't hit well enough to be in the race by July, there's been rumors they may deal Tim Hudson for a slugger. Tom Glavine from the Mets and Zach Day from the Expos could also be possible options.

What this team needs is a good solid RBI producing LH hitter for the starting lineup. We have needed a guy like this since 2000, yet we still have Maggs, Frank, Carlos and PK as our version of murderer's row. A good RH pitcher will shut this team down. Even a mediocre one can do so on a good day.

What this team needs is a good solid RBI producing LH hitter for the starting lineup.  We have needed a guy like this since 2000, yet we still have Maggs, Frank, Carlos and PK as our version of murderer's row.  A good RH pitcher will shut this team down.  Even a mediocre one can do so on a good day.

I know we missed out on Brian Giles once, why don't we go for him again? He's havin major power problems at PETCO Park now, and it's goin to be very hard for him to hit homers over that right field wall as a LH bat. If we offer a package of Konerko or Carlos Lee along with 2 pitching prospects say Diaz and Munoz, would you go for that deal?

I know we missed out on Brian Giles once, why don't we go for him again? He's havin major power problems at PETCO Park now, and it's goin to be very hard for him to hit homers over that right field wall as a LH bat. If we offer a package of Konerko or Carlos Lee along with 2 pitching prospects say Diaz and Munoz, would you go for that deal?

With this team's problems with pitching, I'd rather not give up any of our really good prospects. If we trade for Giles, KW should limit any pitchers traded away to the likes of the oft-injured Kelly Wunsch or the always dramatic Billy Koch.

With this team's problems with pitching, I'd rather not give up any of our really good prospects.  If we trade for Giles, KW should limit any pitchers traded away to the likes of the oft-injured Kelly Wunsch or the always dramatic Billy Koch.

We've got 5 picks in the first 65 in this year's draft I believe. We can restock our farm system on pitching, and if we can get a slugger like Giles, why not go for it?

I'd love to have Giles. I've wanted him since before KW "forgot" to have him included in the Ritchie deal. I don't know what his $$$ situation is, but I would suspect he's making too much for us to afford him.

Guest JimH
With this team's problems with pitching, I'd rather not give up any of our really good prospects.  If we trade for Giles, KW should limit any pitchers traded away to the likes of the oft-injured Kelly Wunsch or the always dramatic Billy Koch.

Yeah sure ... the Pirates will take Kelly Wunsch and/or Billy Koch for Brian Giles.

Exactly what is it that you smoke?

Here's what Peter Gammons though, although no - one will care bout his views :lol:,

Ozzie Guillen has made a HUGE difference. They probably should have won last year. They need another left-handed hitter, another starter and they need to straighten the bullpen, but they are a very good team. The problem is, the Twins are also very good.

What is Kips status?  What is he getting paid, and how long until he is a FA?

He'll be gettin $10 million in arbitration in 2 years according to Gammons. Think of the Kevin Millwood situation.

I'd heard Kip mentioned as a possiblility to be traded at the deadline.  I read it in the media somewhere, not in here.

The Pirates would still rather trade Benson, but at next year's deadline they'll prob deal Wells I think.

I'm happy with the Harris, Uribe, Valentin, Crede infield situation. I do not think we need to add, unless something unusual comes along.

Lefty off the bench? Maybe but we have a pretty good DH on the team now.

CF could be upgraded, but it may be too soon to tell.

That leaves every teams quest for the magic arm. #5 starter of closer. My vote is for a closer. The #5 at the break may get 12 starts, the closer may get 40 appearances. Sounds like an easy decision.

The problem is everyone knows what we need and no one has a surplus of closers. The best trades are surplus for needs.

I'd heard Kip mentioned as a possiblility to be traded at the deadline.  I read it in the media somewhere, not in here.

Now that would be a guy who could flourish under Ozzie as well. He was another one who JM just crushed his confidence and he needed a change. I wonder if we could do business and bring Kip back here?

Guest JimH
LOL ... So what is it that you are smoking?  Giles is now a Padre.  :D

Oops, yes, typing skills are always a plus.

The sentiment is exactly the same though, I think you got my point. :D