A's big 3 contract information

Mr. Showtime

In the game thread Jason and few others we're talking about the possibility of the A's putting one of their starters on the block. Here is each guys contract info.

Barry Zito LHP OAK Signed May 2002 - 4 years/$9.3M

2002: $0.5M (+$0.4M signing bonus)

2003: $0.9M

2004: $2.7M

2005: $4.8M

2006: Team option $7.0M

-2004 salary rises to $2.8M with 400IP in 2002-3, $2.9M for 420IP

-2005 salary rises to between $4.9M and $5.5M with 540-630IP 2002-4

-2006 option rises to $7.2M with 570IP 2002-5, to $8.25M with a Cy Young win

Tim Hudson RHP OAK Signed Aug 2000 - 5 years/$14.7M

2001: $0.5M (+$0.1M signing bonus)

2002: $0.85M

2003: $2.7M

2004: $4.55M

2005: $6.0M  option exercised

Mark Mulder LHP OAK Signed Sep 2001 - 4 years/$14.2M

2002: $0.75M (+$0.2M signing bonus)

2003: $2.6M

2004: $4.4M

2005: $6.0M

2006: Team option $7.25M or $0.25M buyout

-2005 salary can increase by $1M, 2006 by $8.5M if he reaches all incentives

I would guess that Hudson would be the odd man out. He is the smallest physically, and he is also the only right hander. It is much easier to find a good RHP vs a LHP. He also looks like he has the biggest contract. And actually I think with Oakland losing so many hitters, the Sox would be a good fit for a trade with the A's. (sorry if I repeated something from the game thread, but I haven't read that.)

Yeah I said Hudson would be the last choice of the 3 if the Sox were to get one. Let's just think about it though: the odds of this happening have to be 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000.

Well unless we threw in Maggs to do it. I would wonder if a Reed or Anderson, and Honel for Hudson type deal could be done.

Doesn't Beane love these 3 too much to trade them anyways?

It comes down to $$$. As these guys salaries start to go up and the A's attendance sucks, he is going to have to make a choice. If the A's aren't in contention, it could be sooner than later he has to decide.

Well unless we threw in Maggs to do it.  I would wonder if a Reed or Anderson, and Honel for Hudson type deal could be done.

Yeah I said that in the game thread. The Sox would either have to give 2 top of the line prospects or 1 top of the line and 2 2nd tier prospects. The amazing thing is...it would be worth it.

I think Tim Hudson is the best of the 3. Give him run support, and he'll win 20 with ease.

He is also the oldest and closest to FA

Since he's signed through 2005, Billy Beane will be literally asking for an arm and a leg and then some more arms in return ;)

f*** BILLY BEANE! Opps, did I say that? Well, YES, SCREW HIM, AND HIS BOOK!! If it gets to that point where he is looking to unload salary, who would want to deal with him after that book, and risk being a chapter in the next book? Make a deal if reasonable, but have someone other than KW decide what is reasonable!

He isn't always right.

Terrence Long and Ramon Hernandez for essentially Mark Kotsay(he may have gotten another player or another minor leaguer, but that was the main deal).

Enough said.

BTW, I may be wrong here, but Money ball has a chapter or two damn near solely devoted to Chad Bradford, yet I do not believe the name Miguel Olivo is mentioned ONCE. Just curious...am I correct in saying this? Because if so, it is poorly written in some spots. Good writing does NOT twist facts to help the writer's case when facts left out hurt it. Jay Mariotti is a prime example of this.

f*** BILLY BEANE! Opps, did I say that?  Well, YES, SCREW HIM, AND HIS BOOK!!  If it gets to that point where he is looking to unload salary, who would want to deal with him after that book, and risk being a chapter in the next book?  Make a deal if reasonable, but have someone other than KW decide what is reasonable!

First of all, it's NOT Billy Beane's book. He's not the author. Second, he's not the GM version of the second coming. Some people have built him up so much because of that damn book and the success he's had getting the A's to the playoffs. But, I still say Billy Beane got very f***ing lucky that Mulder, Zito and Hudson all came up at the same time, all stayed healthy and all maximized their potential. That kinda s*** just doesn't happen. He's built his successful reputation on the arms of those three pitchers.

First of all, it's NOT Billy Beane's book.  He's not the author.  Second, he's not the GM version of the second coming.  Some people have built him up so much because of that damn book and the success he's had getting the A's to the playoffs.  But, I still say Billy Beane got very f***ing lucky that Mulder, Zito and Hudson all came up at the same time, all stayed healthy and all maximized their potential.  That kinda s*** just doesn't happen.  He's built his successful reputation on the arms of those three pitchers.

And in reality, what are the odds of a team drafting, signing, growing, and maturing 3 starting pitchers into potential Cy Youngs? If it were easy, every team would be doing it. I want to see the As do it again, to prove it wasn't luck. If Blanton and Harden turn into stars, I will be a believer in Beane.