Diaz or Grilli could be called up in a few days

CSF

Link

Diaz, Grilli call-up candidates for No. 5

By Bob Foltman

Tribune staff reporter

May 9, 2004, 10:16 PM CDT

TORONTO—White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said Sunday that he'll decide either Monday or Tuesday who the team will bring up to fill the fifth spot in the rotation. Whoever it is may pitch this weekend against the Minnesota Twins at U.S. Cellular Field.

Guillen said he'll discuss the situation with general manager Ken Williams and also determine who is on schedule in the rotation for Triple-A Charlotte. The candidates appear to be Felix Diaz and Jason Grilli.

Guillen hopes the new addition can stay awhile and be productive.

"Hopefully the guy we call up will get the job done," he said. "I don't expect him to come up and win 20 games. I wish. He just needs to be a consistent pitcher and give me what he's supposed to give me." ...

Another decision to be made is who to send back to Charlotte. Catcher Jamie Burke appears to be the likely candidate, but Guillen wants to make sure Sandy Alomar's hip is OK. Alomar played Saturday and didn't appear to have any problems. ...

Guillen said he didn't think his big hitters in the middle of the lineup were just trying to hit home runs. "Every swing you think they try to hit home runs because that's the type of swing they have," he said. "Last week we were hooking everything and that killed us on the homestand. We tried to hook balls—hook, hook, hook. Now I think we balance it a little better." ...

Before Sunday, the Sox were just one of four teams to not lose three games in a row. The others were the Cubs, Dodgers and Rangers. The Sox opened last season with three straight losses. ... With Carlos Lee's ninth-inning double, the Sox extended their streak of games with an extra-base hit to 19. ... Kelly Wunsch gave up a run and a hit in two innings of relief work Saturday at Charlotte. Wunsch's rehab assignment ends Sunday, and the Sox will have to make a decision with him. They likely will option him and leave him in Charlotte.

Copyright © 2004, The Chicago Tribune

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to see Diaz get the call so finally we can see what he can in the majors. I also read somewhere that Ozzie really like how Munoz is pitching for the Barons, I think Munoz is 5-0 also same as Diaz.

I read that Ozzie will decide this Monday or Tuesday. Also, Kelly Wunsch rehab stint is over so that's another thing to watch what they do to Wunsch. I want him pitching back up here for the Sox

I want to see Diaz get the call so finally we can see what he can in the majors. I also read somewhere that Ozzie really like how Munoz is pitching for the Barons, I think Munoz is 5-0 also same as Diaz.

I read that Ozzie will decide this Monday or Tuesday. Also, Kelly Wunsch rehab stint is over so that's another thing to watch what they do to Wunsch. I want him pitching back up here for the Sox

He may be outrighted to Charlotte or traded, those appear to be the most likely scenarios unless Cotts gives up a few more BP changeups.

He may be outrighted to Charlotte or traded, those appear to be the most likely scenarios unless Cotts gives up a few more BP changeups.

I think at this point Wunsch will be optioned, not outrighted. Outrighted means removing him from the 40-man roster after he clears waivers.

If the Sox need a LHP in the bullpen this year, my guess is that it will be Munoz, not Wunsch.

I think at this point Wunsch will be optioned, not outrighted.  Outrighted means removing him from the 40-man roster after he clears waivers.

If the Sox need a LHP in the bullpen this year, my guess is that it will be Munoz, not Wunsch.

You are right Rex, i meant optioned...

From Today's Sun-Times

Candidates for No. 5 starter lack experience

May 10, 2004

TORONTO -- If it's not a baptism by fire the White Sox plan to undertake this upcoming weekend, then it at least is one by scalding water.

In their first series this season with the Central Division nemesis Minnesota Twins, the Sox are close to naming a No. 5 starter with no major-league experience. The Sox appear to have limited their candidates to minor leaguers Jason Grilli, Felix Diaz and Arnie Munoz, with only Grilli having pitched in a major-league game.

Even Grilli's experience is limited, having pitched in seven major-league games (six starts) all with the Florida Marlins in 2000 and 2001.

Diaz, 23, is in Class AAA Charlotte for the second consecutive season and is 5-0 with a 1.86 ERA in six starts. He has given up four walks in 3-2/3 innings and has 31 strikeouts. Diaz was obtained in the July 2002 trade that sent Kenny Lofton to the San Francisco Giants.

Grilli, 27, nearly made the team out of spring training and is 1-3 with a 4.45 ERA in five starts at Charlotte. He was a selection in the Rule 5 draft this offseason, had to clear waivers after he didn't make the team and was sent to Charlotte.

Munoz, 21, would be a long shot to make the team, having never pitched beyond Class AA. In his first season as a starter at Birmingham, the left-hander is 5-0 with a 1.23 ERA in six starts with nine walks and 35 strikeouts in 362/3 innings. Munoz picked up his fifth victory Saturday by giving up three hits and no runs in seven innings against Mobile (Ala.).

A decision is expected Tuesday. The No. 5 starter vacancy was created just over a week ago when Dan Wright was sent to Charlotte after starting the season 0-4 with an 8.15 ERA.

Doug Padilla

===================================

And this web site

Hurling toward the rotation: Manager Ozzie Guillen said a decision about the fifth starter will be made on Monday or Tuesday. Felix Diaz is the odds-on favorite, with the right-hander posting a 5-0 record, 1.86 ERA and 31 strikeouts and four walks in 38 2/3 innings for Triple-A Charlotte.

Diaz threw a side session Saturday and could be held back from his start Monday in order to pitch in the upcoming Baltimore series at U.S. Cellular Field. The fifth starter's spot comes up Saturday against Minnesota, but the South Siders could juggle their rotation to have veteran hurlers facing the Twins.

"I have no reservations on who pitches," Cooper said of the fifth starter facing Minnesota. "It's not something where, 'Oh, we have to do this or we have to do that.'"

Arnie Munoz was another possibility mentioned by Guillen. The converted reliever improved to 5-0 for Double-A Birmingham on Saturday, with a 1.23 ERA. The left-hander has 35 strikeouts and nine walks over 36 2/3 innings, allowing a mere 18 hits. He would be on schedule to start Thursday afternoon's game against the Orioles.

From today's Courier-Journal:

The series will continue at 7:15 tonight. Felix Diaz, who leads the Knights with a 5-0 record and 1.86 ERA, was scheduled to start for Charlotte but entered yesterday's game in the sixth. He likely will join the Chicago White Sox this week.

In Diaz's place, Oldham County High School product Jon Rauch (3-2, 3.21) will start. The Bats will counter with Bubba Nelson (0-4, 6.57).

The only possible reason I can think of to call up Grilli over Diaz is KW's ego. He picked him up in the rule 5 draft. He figured out a way to retain him without giving him back to Florida. He's KW's favorite mistake.