PS2 Disk Read Error

HighHeat45

I go to play my PS2 today and i put in MVP and i get the dreaded Disk Read Error. Someone told me there were directions to fix it on TechTV.com so i searched and found em. I followed the directions and it says to test it with the case still open so if it doesnt work you can clean the laser some more. So i test it and it works, i screw the 12 screws and put the 8 caps on again and what happens...Disk Read Error. Im really pissed, first the sox loss and now this s*** :angry:

I go to play my PS2 today and i put in MVP and i get the dreaded Disk Read Error.  Someone told me there were directions to fix it on TechTV.com so i searched and found em. I followed the directions and it says to test it with the case still open so if it doesnt work you can clean the laser some more. So i test it and it works, i screw the 12 screws and put the 8 caps on again and what happens...Disk Read Error. Im really pissed, first the sox loss and now this s***  :angry:

I've had the same problem. All you need to do is take toilet water then put it on a paper towel and rub the back of the game...then dry it with another, and then play

I go to play my PS2 today and i put in MVP and i get the dreaded Disk Read Error.  Someone told me there were directions to fix it on TechTV.com so i searched and found em. I followed the directions and it says to test it with the case still open so if it doesnt work you can clean the laser some more. So i test it and it works, i screw the 12 screws and put the 8 caps on again and what happens...Disk Read Error. Im really pissed, first the sox loss and now this s***  :angry:

You know how to fix that problem??

Go buy an X-Box.

You know how to fix that problem??

Go buy an X-Box.

:puke

The only good Xbox I have ever seen was one that was modded to hell. $300+ in modifications. But he had tons of games on his harddrive that worked perfectly fine.

WIthout those mods, Xbox = Big, ugly PS2 with a hard drive.

There's what, 5 or 6 games that are exclusive to Xbox that are fun? While PS2 and GameCube have like 50 each.

My current PS2 is having that error. Sony fixes it for free thanks to a class action lawsuit. You just send it to them, they fix it, and send it back, free of charge (except for shipping to). I have yet to do that because I'm lazy, I just borrowed my friends PS2.

It's diffentley not the ps2 when it says "Disk Read Error", it could be a # of things wrong with the ps2. We had my family's playstation send back and fixed cause it said disk read error. It was make circular scratches on the disks.

I didnt feel like doing anything with it last night but i went to go look at it this morning and now it works  :o

It'll do that, that means that the distance from laser to disc is barely shifting from a working position to a non-working position.

People, this error IS because of the PS2. The laser inside, over time, moves up or down. Eventually (a long time), it moves into a position where it cannot read the disc. There is a small crank inside your PS2 which allows you to adjust this and put it back to normal.

It'll do that, that means that the distance from laser to disc is barely shifting from a working position to a non-working position.

People, this error IS because of the PS2. The laser inside, over time, moves up or down. Eventually (a long time), it moves into a position where it cannot read the disc. There is a small crank inside your PS2 which allows you to adjust this and put it back to normal.

also, just cleaning the lens helps big time. Take a Q-tip, with some rubbing alcohol and just rub it a bit, works perfectly.......at least for a few months until it gets dirty again.

I think if you go to Sony's website you'll find a place that you can send the ps2 to and they will replace it for you.

Holy crap, I just fixed my PS2. It was SO easy. It's so easy, all you do is type "Disc Read Error" in Google and the first thing should be some link to TechTV's guide to fixing it. Just use that.

thats what i was talking about in my first post, i used that tech tv thing to but it didnt work till the next day

They don't replace it; they repair it.

Most of the time they will send you a different refurbished unit. I've worked with companies that have these rework-rebuild operations. They will completely disassemble the item, clean and test each component, and reassemble units from these parts. It is very rare for any company to spend the time to troubleshoot an individual product. It is cheaper to rebuild and ship out. They use them for warrenty repair, some wind up in discount stores in plain white cartons for 1/2 price.