Gammons on Sox trade talks

Guest JimH

Guest JimH

... to pull off a deal, according to his sources (whoever they are).

He specifically mentioned Kris Benson, and said Williams is on the phone every day making lots of calls trying to get something done.

Both Gammons and the BBTN host commented on Williams aggressiveness.

They also said upon talking to KW, if the Sox don't start hitting with some consistency "very soon", he will trade one of the righthanded hitters for a lefthanded hitter. Reed was not mentioned in terms of a call up.

After tonites showing by Diaz, Williams will likely be on the phone even more.

Diaz seems like he's got some talent, but Melton made a very astute comment - he tends to fall off to the 1st base side, giving the hitters a much better and longer look at what he's throwing.

To me, he has potential but he's not ready to give us what this team needs.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JimH

Guys, remember it's Peter Gammons we're talking about ...

But I too was pleased that someone more on the "inside" than any of us is stating KW is burning up the phone lines.

He (KW) sees the needs just like we do. In all likelihood, he's even less patient than some of us.

The reality is, it's not that easy to make a trade, there are so many variables involved, and not just $$$.

Apparently, the Sox braintrust is trying to get something done.

I'm ready - the team needs a spark.

I've always liked Benson also, his era this year is around 4.6 this year that scares me a little if he'd come to the american league, but I think a change of scenery for him and maybe coop would get him going a little bit. I'd prefer kenny get freddy garcia but it would be nice to get anybody. Still I think kenny's biggest job is going to be to sure up this offense and a lot of it using the addition by subtraction theory.

Bensons stats this season - 7 GS, 4.64 ERA, 42.2 IP, 48 Hits, 22 BBs, 29 Ks. Not the best line in the world but he also doesn't face the easiest offenses in the NL Central (Cards, Astros, I'll even say the Cubs). And, he won't be relied upon as a number one or a number two. He'd have basically no pressure. About six innings per start, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Now, Pittsburg, what do you guys want for him?

I think they would be wise to inquire, but they'll find the price to high.

well, what in gods name do the Yankees have to offer besides taking the entire contract?

They have no minor league system, and nobody with any trade value whatsoever.

The Yankees are currently the only team interested, and if there offering crap, we can beat crap.

Id like to see Frank Catalanotto in a sox jersey.

Little Cat is always a great guy to have on any team, but the fact of the matter is that with Harris, Uribe, and Valentin along with Gload, Timo, and Rowand in the outfield theres no real use for them.

Plus, whos to say that Toronto's done yet.. JP Riciarrdi doesn't think so.

Wrong color Sox to be in the Randy Johnson ballpark.

Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling are not the best of freinds, and with Arroyo and Kim as possible 5th starters, aswell as Lenny Dinardo and a few others, the Red Sox will not go after Randy Johnson.

Again, the Yankees are the only team interested, and they have crap to offer..

Awesome news. Its horrible im getting excited for Benson, but something has to be done. Also, I hope to god Konerko is not here in Septmeber.

I used to be a Konerko fan, but by god I can't take another season of 1 month of hot hitting followed by a 2 month slump.

Deal him...for ANYTHING.

CWSOX45

I think we need more pitching and less righty power hitters. Also, Cattalanoto is an OFer and we don't need that with our OF prospects.

um... Catalanotto is a lefty and not a power hitter, he's a slap hitter, he'd be exactly the type of hitter the sox would need, but finding a spot for him would be the problem.