Worst Sox moment

popeye089

Thought of this just to have something to get things started. These are not in any specific order

Worst Sox moments.

1)Nocking down the REAL Comiskey Park

2)Turning Carlton Fisk away to celebrate with team in locker room after clinching

3)JR buying the team

4)Weaver, Jackson never allowed back in baseball or HOF just because Comiskey was friends with Judge

What do you think. You can list your worst moment/s

8 players throwing the series and causing us to lose what our heritage would have been had they not done what they did.

Banning them from baseball was too soft on them.

I am not necessarily a fan of JR, but when he bought the team he saved the Sox from possible relocation; he has 4 division championship s as an owener (including 94) and no Sox owner can claim 4 championships of anything iother than JR, and he just signed a deal extending the Sox's lease at Comiskey, guarentting the Sox stay in Chicago, through what, 2025? so he has assured us of no relocation fears after his death or whenever he ceases to own the team, and that is a damned, damned good thing and I love JR for that.

I have torn into JR a few times (to say the least) in my life but no way should his ownership be a worst moment in Sox history. Try Art Allen who eventually depleted the team and almost moved them to Milwaukee before his brother John bought the Sox from him and kept them in Chicago - just as the Art Allen era was giving us the worst team in WS history, the 1970 Sox.

Guest hotsoxchick1

the black sox scandle.......dissing on fisk......the white flag fiasco...........not being able to win it all in 94........making kw gm...........selling out to us cellular..... to think i would have had the park in my own "back yard" in a few years, screw the nestalgia thing that was gone when they took down the old park anyhow............. :headbang

I'm glad the park is not in your back yard!

The traffic would be horrendous, no public transportation, and it would be horribly inconvenient for me, adding 1-2 hours on my travel time.

Other than maybe the south Loop and back in 89 no one saw its resurgence, Comiskey is in the best place possible.

And nothing in the suburbs should be called "Chicago." Schamumberg has its own team and it is minor league. :angry:

And most of the worst moments are so 90s - what about the double header lost to KC in 67 - the deciding game of the 59 series - think back!

In my lifetime.....

1.) Losing in '83

2.) Losing in '93

3.) Losing in '00

4.) Making a parking lot of Old Comiskey

5.) JR buying the team

6.) Being swept by the Cubs..... although this was one of the hardest things I had to live through as a Sox fan..... but the other 5 were worse.

Guest hotsoxchick1
I'm glad the park is not in your back yard!

The traffic would be horrendous, no public transportation, and it would be horribly inconvenient for me, adding 1-2 hours on my travel time.

Other than maybe the south Loop and back in 89 no one saw its resurgence, Comiskey is in the best place possible.

And nothing in the suburbs should be called "Chicago."  Schamumberg has its own team and it is minor league.  :angry:

And most of the worst moments are so 90s - what about the double header lost to KC in 67 - the deciding game of the 59 series - think back!

well look at it this way...you would get to stay on the grounds for free if it were in my back yard............ :D .. cw get your priorities straight... whats a bit longer drive if you get all the other frindge benes.........huh ........ ;)

The black sox scandal. It screwed this team over for over 80 years and it gave us a bad rep. Trolls and anti-Sox maggots use it against us to make us look evil. Those guys were a bunch of criminals. That is one reason I love Eddie Collins. He had the balls to stand up to those thugs! God bless him for that. Ray Schalk, Urban Faber and Dickie Kerr too...

The black sox scandal. It screwed this team over for over 80 years and it gave us a bad rep. Trolls and anti-Sox maggots use it against us to make us look evil. Those guys were a bunch of criminals. That is one reason I love Eddie Collins. He had the balls to stand up to those f***in punks! God bless him for that. Ray Schalk, Urban Faber and Dickie Kerr too...

agreed.

but Comiskey was a scum too.

that drama had many players.

Disco Demoliton night anyone?

That's a historic date in White Sox history..... that's for sure. But worst Sox moment? Yeah..... the White Sox did have to forfeit the 2nd game of a twilight double-header. It was a regular season loss. But, I think DD says more about the people who weren't Sox fans that showed up to cause trouble than the Sox fans that were there for the game. And remember, outside of the Sox marketing department, the Sox had nothing to do with it. I wouldn't mark it up to the Worst Sox Moment. I think a moment that has yet to be mentioned here, especially for the younger fans that could relate, is the White Flag Trade. The WFT was worse in terms of ramifications for the Sox than DD was. JMHO though.

The WFT got us Foulke, who then brought Koch to the Southside. Hell help us much more than Alvarez, Darwin or Fernandez would have...

Did it get us to the WS like Schueler and JR had planned. Nope. Did any of those players do anything for us in the 2000 playoffs? Nope. Has Koch done anything in a White Sox uniform? Nope. When you find a positive (other than having Foulke and trading him for Koch) to the WFT, let me know. None of those players have gotten the Sox to the WS. More than likely, Alvarez and Co. wouldn't have either. So until I see some results, and we have none of the players currently from the nucleus of the WFT, this goes down as a Worst Day in White Sox History.

The black sox scandal. It screwed this team over for over 80 years and it gave us a bad rep. Trolls and anti-Sox maggots use it against us to make us look evil. Those guys were a bunch of criminals. That is one reason I love Eddie Collins. He had the balls to stand up to those thugs! God bless him for that. Ray Schalk, Urban Faber and Dickie Kerr too...

Red Faber was hurt and wasn't with the team as much in 1919.

I still remember the 1959 series like it was yesterday -- lots of bad decisions.

Boy you're not kidding. I relive that whole year every now and then. Billy Pierce and Dick Donovan had been the CWS #'s 1 and 2 starters from 55-58. Pierce went 72-42 and Donovan was 58-39. I believe only Warren Spahn and Lew Burdette of the Braves were superior in that 4 year span. Both had down years in 59. Pierce actually pitched pretty well until August. He threw a one hitter against the Senators in June, was named to the All Star team in July and pitched all 16 innings of a 1-1 tie against Baltimore in August. He may have hurt himself in that game because shortly after that he was sidelined for about 3 weeks. He had an awful September and finished 14-15. Donovan was 9-10. For reasons he never explained Mgr Al Lopez did not give Pierce even one start in the 59 WS. He loved Early Wynn who started and won in game 1, then got hammered in games 4 and 6. In game 2 3B coach Tony Cuccinello pulled a "wavin Wally" and sent Sherm Lollar home. Sherm was slower than Konerko and he was out by about 15 feet. End of rally, Dodgers win game 2 and never look back. I was 8 at the time and I knew the Sox would lose after that game. I wouldn't admit to anyone but myself but I knew. After the WS the Sox traded Norm Cash, Earl Battey, Johnny Callison, Don Mincher and John Romano away. This was the most tragic period in Sox history since the Black Sox IMO, even though the Sox remained contenders until 1967. The strike year of 94 was also a drag. Wouldn't a White Sox v Expos series have been great?

After the WS the Sox traded Norm Cash, Earl Battey, Johnny Callison, Don Mincher and John Romano away. This was the most tragic period in Sox history since the Black Sox IMO, even though the Sox remained contenders until 1967.

I agree compeltely and this is one reason I cannot be too thrilled with the Bill Veeck record. he killed us with trades like that - he was a fun guy but we get on KW and JR - but Veeck's trade history was so detrimental to the White Sox, kept trading away our future for his shoe string operation - both times.

we have alot of worst moments..we havent won 85 years :fyou

but the worst has to be the black sox scandal... story about catcher ray schalk..he was coaching baseball at some college...this was in the 30's or 40's...one of his pitchers asked him about the black sox scandal..he said son i cant talk about that..it was the worst thing to ever happen to me in my life..

we have alot of worst moments..we havent won 85 years :fyou

but the worst has to be the black sox scandal... story about catcher ray schalk..he was coaching baseball at some college...this was in the 30's or 40's...one of his pitchers asked him about the black sox scandal..he said son i cant talk about that..it was the worst thing to ever happen to me in my life..

His pitchers Cicotte and Williams crossed him up many times. He could see the fix better than anyone on the team. Schalk prided himself on his defense and handling of pitchers. He took extra care in calling the two games Dickie Kerr won.

The WFT got us Foulke, who then brought Koch to the Southside. Hell help us much more than Alvarez, Darwin or Fernandez would have...

Did it get us to the WS like Schueler and JR had planned. Nope. Did any of those players do anything for us in the 2000 playoffs? Nope. Has Koch done anything in a White Sox uniform? Nope. When you find a positive (other than having Foulke and trading him for Koch) to the WFT, let me know. None of those players have gotten the Sox to the WS. More than likely, Alvarez and Co. wouldn't have either. So until I see some results, and we have none of the players currently from the nucleus of the WFT, this goes down as a Worst Day in White Sox History.

CubKilla, as I have said before, If there was an icon of a smiley clapping I would post it hear applauding this statement. Until Koch shows us something in the regular season, he has still the same amount for the White sox that ALvarez or Darwin has. So, I applaud you... CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP!