Official Ortiz/Jones ATL Rumors Thread

redandwhite

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to hold onto Maggs.  He's been a Royals killer his whole career and we still have like 14 games with them.  Having him could make a huge impact on our divisional standings.

The Royals are NOT a factor in this division anymore. They suck and are in LAST place for a reason. We need a Twin killer not a Royal killer. I am not saying that Jones is a Twin killer but thats what we need.

I understand your thinking Soxfan1, but though the Royals aren't part of the division race, it's still vital that we beat them whenever we face them. And since we see KC 13 more times (7 of the last 10 games of the season), I would say it's important that we play well against KC.

I understand your thinking Soxfan1, but though the Royals aren't part of the division race, it's still vital that we beat them whenever we face them.  And since we see KC 13 more times (7 of the last 10 games of the season), I would say it's important that we play well against KC.

Well, I gotta agree with you there. Stooping down to the opponents level is what we did last year. It cost us the division (Tampa Bay). We cant just overlook teams. I see what your saying.

Brando, forget about Randy Johnson.  That ain't happening.

It may not be happening alright (no-trade clause and all), but why I should I forget about it?

If we're going for it, if we're giving up prospects left and right.......then let's go for it for real. With deferred money, Unit's contract is not as bad as it may seem.

It may not be happening alright (no-trade clause and all), but why I should I forget about it?

If we're going for it, if we're giving up prospects left and right.......then let's go for it for real.    With deferred money, Unit's contract is not as bad as it may seem.

:headshake

I believe so, but I think it's ridiculous money, and IF he really is in the decline that people say he is, that makes me a little leery of taking on his contract.

I hope my comments weren't cosntrued as saying Andruw is over the hill. I wasn't saying THAT at all.

He still has excellent (if somewhat overrated since 2003) defensive skills.

Last 3+ years, he hasn't been the power- and clutch-hitter that he's being paid upward of 13 Mill to be and he is grounding into an insane amount of DP right now.........BUT when you have his quickness, power and plate coverage, at just 27yo he can still put it all together BIG-TIME under the right guidance.

His baserunning is no longer a big asset, but it's not liability either.

He sells jerseys.

My problem is that considerng his big contract and unspectacular play this year, I really don't want to give up Maggs for him. I'd rather it be Paul Konerko, with Sox swallowing the 4 Mill difference in salary this year.

Could it go something like Konerko + OF prospect + SP prospect = Andruw?

From Peter Gammons' chat...

Jon ( Venezuela): With Freddy Garcia in White Sox uniform, and the possibility of resign him. What do you think should be the next move of the White Sox with Magglio Ordoñez?

Peter Gammons: There are rumors that Ordonez may be traded this week to Atlanta for Andruw Jones. That would get the Braves out from underneath the last three years of Jones' contract which runs through 2007. Ordonez is still a great player and will be one of the most important players on the market this winter. Whether or not he gets traded remains to be seen, but Ken Williams did say last night that he's working on another major trade.

:headshake

Yeah, let's all pretend Buerhle is good enough to face either Shilling or Vasquez.

Unit

Garcia

Buerhle

I have no idea why the prospect of getting Unit scares people so. So, the Sox don't want to pay. Fine. So there is a good chance he won't want to go anywhere. Ok.

I figured since the Sox are "going for it" and are 1 big player away.....Is it really out of the realm of possibility? It's not as if Arizona is going anywhere.