THE Trade

Old Socks

Awful. I just knew Kenny was going to figure out how to get rid of Reed/Anderson/Sweeney. And he did it.

What do you think they are saying in Seattle right now. Great Trade. Great Trade.

So now we get Davis and his Mendoza Line BA, and his high salary, and we get Freddy and his 2-3 wins, and we will get a couple of draft picks next year for him, and then Kenny wil trade them in two years if they are any good. Every day I wake up and I say, Kenny, don't trade Reed. This is worse than the Alomar trade last year. and much worse than the Everett trade last year.

Hey, Rex. You defended the Everett trade because none of the guys we lost were near to being ready for the Bigs. Can you say the same thing about Reed?

Reed's sub-.300 average this year scared the s*** out of me, because I knew it would give stupid Kenny the excuse for trading him. Every other GM knew this kid is for real, so naturally we give him away to the lowest bidder.

If Kenny would have gone to every team in the majors and say what would you give me for Jeremy Reed heads up, I am certain he would have gotten more. Instead he gets into this negotiation ploy, and he got butt f***ed. They broke him down like a shot gun. And we give up Olivo, too. Unbelievable. We gave up on Jeremy Reed for Freddy Garcia, and then gave away our best catcher for Ben f***ing Davis?/

Kenny: A Pox on your mansion.

I think you and JoshPR would get together famously. I disagree, because you never know how a prospect turns out and we need talent now and that is what we got. Garcia only has 4 wins cuz his run suport is around 2 pg, and his ERA is 3.10 therefore he should have at least 7 or 8 wins by now.

I think you and JoshPR would get together famously. I disagree, because you never know how a prospect turns out and we need talent now and that is what we got. Garcia only has 4 wins cuz his run suport is around 2 pg, and his ERA is 3.10 therefore he should have at least 7 or 8 wins by now.

I agree, plus reed has zero power, average at best speed, and no arm. Isn't he just a Mark Kotsay clone? If even that. Most of the people that are upset about losing him have never seen him play and just listen to all the hype surrounding a "prospect." I doubt he turns out to be anything more than an average major league OFer.

Right. And he'll get a couple of wins for us this year, and then he will be gone, and Reed will have a big time career. And we gave up Oliva, too? Why would we give up one of the top prospects in all of baseball? Because we can. Go ahead and defend this trade. Take a poll. This was really dumb. I'm glad you endorse it. I don't.

Right. And he'll get a couple of wins for us this year, and then he will be gone, and Reed will have a big time career.  And we gave up Oliva, too?  Why would we give up one of the top prospects in all of baseball?  Because we can.  Go ahead and defend this trade.  Take a poll.  This was really dumb.  I'm glad you endorse it.  I don't.

We gave up Oliva? Who the f*** is Oliva?

Right. And he'll get a couple of wins for us this year, and then he will be gone, and Reed will have a big time career.  And we gave up Oliva, too?  Why would we give up one of the top prospects in all of baseball?  Because we can.  Go ahead and defend this trade.  Take a poll.  This was really dumb.  I'm glad you endorse it.  I don't.

Or we resign Garcia, he becomes our true ace for years, and Davis turns into a legit catcher. Then Reed can't get over his wrist problems and Miguel Olivo doesn't learn to call a game...

Then what?

Keep cryin', we have Garcia and Davis, not Reed and Olivo ...and there ain't a thing you can do about it.

Why do you think he is leaving after this year? Why will Reed become a superstar? Have you ever seen Reed play or are you just buying all the hype about him? Olivo was the hardest part of the deal as far as I am concerned. However, if we get Garcia signed long term then this deal should be worth it.

This begs the question:

What do we get out of Davis.

I know for a fact the guy can't hit and will never hit.

But can he catch and throw.

Anybody out there know? I respect all of your comments.

Somebody must know if Ben can at least throw and catch.

Cause he cannot hit.

This begs the question:

Cause he cannot hit.

He has a great arm. He threw out about 31 or 32 percent of those who tried to run on him. He is supposed to be a very good defensive catcher.

This begs the question:

Cause he cannot hit.

i heard that he has a very good arm and he handles pitchers very well. He also is a good fielder. This from various sources..espn.com, chisox.com....

Olivo was the hardest part of the deal as far as I am concerned. However, if we get Garcia signed long term then this deal should be worth it.

I can't understand why people think that signing Garcia for next year is the key to this trade.

Signing Garcia for next year has NOTHING to do with evaluating this trade. The Sox could have signed Garcia during next off season without losing Olivo or Reed. The only way to evaluate this trade is after this season is over. If the Sox win the pennant, the trade was a good one. If they don't, the Sox got robbed. It's that simple.

I think we could also use his left handed bat in our lineup. I am not sure how much he is going to play but he will make Greg Walker earn his paycheck. .091 is atrocious. He was a big time prospect with SD a while back and sometimes it takes catchers a while to put things together, so maybe we have somethjing here. The Cubs' Michael Barrett is a good example of that. He is 27 and is having a break out yeat offensively, however he is still not very good defensively.

Hopefully Davis can become a .260 hitter with 20 HR potential. I could live with that from a very good defensive catcher.

I can't understand why people think that signing Garcia for next year is the key to this trade. 

Signing Garcia for next year has NOTHING to do with evaluating this trade.  The Sox could have signed Garcia during next off season without losing Olivo or Reed. The only way to evaluate this trade is after this season is over.  If the Sox win the pennant, the trade was a good one.  If they don't, the Sox got robbed.  It's that simple.

You said it all. Next year. We need someone now. When evaluating this trade, if you give up all that JUST for a rent a player, then that is way too much.

I agree, plus reed has zero power, average at best speed, and no arm. Isn't he just a Mark Kotsay clone? If even that. Most of the people that are upset about losing him have never seen him play and just listen to all the hype surrounding a "prospect." I doubt he turns out to be anything more than an average major league OFer.

I agree, plus reed has zero power, average at best speed, and no arm

Where does, I dunno, a f***ING WRIST INJURY FIGURE INTO YOUR LITTLE SUMMATION?

I'll miss Reed a lot less than I will Olivo (knew we had to give up somebody obviously), but you're totally wrong about his "tools""

-Exceptional eye and hand-eye coordination

-Above average speed (average? Huh?)

-Average, accurate arm (no arm? the f***?)

-projects excellent gap power (obvisouly wrist-related loss of batspeed doesn't help right now).

He's the kind of a player who is nothing special on the outside (he ain't flashy Chris Young or powerful JoBo) but once you give him a few years of experience in the bigs, once he puts on a bit of muscle, around 25-26yo, he will quietly put up All-Star numbers in the bigs - and people are left scratching their heads wondering where they went wrong in writing him off.

Granted, in 2004 Spring Training he was just a glorified Mike Caruso - a slap hitter -- but I will chalk it up to the naggin' wrist problem. I guess we'll see if his AA season was a fluke.

Where does, I dunno, a f***ING WRIST INJURY FIGURE INTO YOUR LITTLE SUMMATION?

I'll miss Reed a lot less than I will Olivo (knew we had to give up somebody obviously), but you're totally wrong about his "tools""

-Exceptional eye and hand-eye coordination

-Above average speed (average?  Huh?)

-Average, accurate arm (no arm? the f***?)

-projects excellent gap power (obvisouly wrist-related loss of batspeed doesn't help right now).

He's the kind of a player who is nothing special on the outside (he ain't  flashy Chris Young or powerful JoBo) but once you give him a few years of experience in the bigs, once he puts on a bit of muscle, around 25-26yo, he will quietly put up All-Star numbers in the bigs - and people are left scratching their heads wondering where they went wrong in writing him off.   

Granted, in 2004 Spring Training he was just a glorified Mike Caruso - a slap hitter -- but I will chalk it up to the naggin' wrist problem.    I guess we'll see if his AA season was a fluke.

Oh, I dunno, I go by reports from people that spend more time than you ACTUALLY WATCHING HIM PLAY!

From all the scouting reports I have read he does not have above average speed, he has no power and has never had power, and has no arm.

So he hits above .300 in the minors. So has Willie Harris. Since when does that project to hitting over .300 in the majors?

We will just have to agree to disagree as I see him being nothing more than Mark Kotsay. You think he is going to be some kind of an all star. We will just have to wait to find out.

By the way, very good prediction on the Cubs series. That starting pitching of theirs really kicked our ass.