Since some of us aren't familiar with Ben Davis

Chisoxfn

Its good to be Ben Davis - June 22, 2004

t's good to be Ben Davis.

Tall, strong and athletic, Davis is scheduled to make $1.4 million this year from the Seattle Mariners. At 6-foot-4 and a muscled 225 pounds, Davis doesn't so much wear catcher's gear as he models it. It's easy to see why the San Diego Padres drafted him with the No. 2 overall pick in June of 1995.

It's also tough to be Ben Davis.

For all his considerable skills, he faces an uncertain future with the Mariners. He was demoted to Class AAA on May 6 after hitting .091 in 33 at-bats.

His production as Dan Wilson's backup was only part of the problem. The Mariners had hoped the 27-year-old Davis would grab the starting job this spring and make it his. Instead, he had two hits in 35 spring at-bats (.057 average) and drew the ire of manager Bob Melvin.

That's why Davis is in Sacramento this week with the Tacoma Rainiers instead of with the Mariners in Texas, getting ready to begin a three-game series with the Rangers.

"Ben has terrific ability," Mariners general manager Bill Bavasi said. "Anybody with that kind of ability has a future. They have to do their part, also. That's why Ben is down there trying to get that done. ...

"There's a difference in guys having ability and putting it to use."

Davis said he was disappointed after being demoted and that his struggles have "been no fun." He said the lack of regular playing time in Seattle made it hard to get straightened out and that he put too much pressure on himself when he did play.

Since coming to Tacoma, Davis has accumulated 120 at-bats and hit .250. In Rainiers manager Dan Rohn's opinion, Davis is ready to go back to the bigs. But the call hasn't come because Bavasi said Davis has to play to his capabilities and that the Mariners must have a need for a catcher.

When asked if he still has a future with the Mariners, Davis said he didn't know.

"I just want to play every day," he said. "If it's going to be here or another place, that's to be determined. The bottom line is I love to play baseball and that's the reason why I do it.

"I'm fortunate to have been given that opportunity to do it for a living and hopefully, I'll be given another chance here or somewhere else."

The Mariners' need for a catcher is obvious. Wilson is 35 and in the last year of his contract. Pat Borders, who was promoted from Tacoma when Davis was sent down, is 41.

Bavasi said he is OK with the team's current situation but long-term, "We have a great opportunity for a catcher," he said.

"We're comfortable with that until better options come along. That can happen through a trade or a player in the minors making a push. One can force the other."

Rohn said Davis has had "no problems whatsoever" since arriving in Tacoma.

"He came down with a great attitude and I know he wants to get out of here," Rohn said. "He's working his (tail) off."

Extra batting practice and time before, during and after the game with Rainiers pitching coach Rafael Chaves going over pitch selection has shown Rohn that Davis wants to improve.

"I think he's proven a ton," Rohn said. "No. 1 is playing time. We've been able to get him into games and catch regularly every day to get the feel of receiving and the flow of calling games.

"His swing has come a long ways. .. He's dedicated himself to getting back where he was two years ago, and he's done a nice job."

In 2002, his first season with the Mariners, Davis posted the highest batting average of his career at .259. He also threw out 44 percent of would-be base stealers and made just one error in 80 games.

He was especially good after the All-Star break, hitting .294 with six home runs in 102 at-bats, and he looked capable of assuming the full-time catching duties from Wilson.

Appearing to build on that in the first half of last year, Davis hit .294 before the All-Star break. Then it all went bad.

He hit .140 the rest of the way and his attention to detail seemed to slip with his batting average. Davis committed four errors and allowed four passed balls in 73 games.

The Mariners hoped a new season and a fresh start would help. Instead, spring training looked a lot like last summer. Davis didn't hit and his defense was spotty.

At one point, Melvin chastised Davis' pitch selection after a rookie pitcher was hit hard in an exhibition game.

"My spring training wasn't real good, and going into the season I knew my at-bats were going to be (few) and I think I put a little too much pressure on myself to get hits all the time," Davis said.

Davis said his relationship with Melvin is good even though the two don't talk much. And since Melvin is a former catcher - he spent 10 years in the majors - it can be tough for Davis because Melvin knows when he's made a mistake.

"I know he wanted me to step up and do what I needed to do," Davis said. "The bottom line is I still have to go out there and perform."

Davis wants to be an everyday player. He hopes his time in Tacoma, his first appearance in the minors since 2000, leads to better days in the big leagues.

"(The demotion was) a choice I wouldn't want to make," he said. "But coming down here and playing every day and feeling confident about yourself is a good thing.

"I think knowing that you haven't forgotten how to play the game and play it right, from that standpoint, it's enjoyable being here."

- Contact Darrin Beene at darrin.beene(at)mail.tribnet.com.

(Distributed by Scripps-McClatchy Western Service, http://www.shns.com.)

I'm still looking for some other articles. But this article can tell you he's had two halves in the major league where he has hit at a .294 clip and he's always shown a decent eye. I'd say the Sox may have a real sleeper on their hands. Oh ya, and a 44% gunning down runners clip is pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

I also took a look at his catchers ERA and with the Mariners it was in the 3's. They have had a good staff, so I don't know what the teams overall ERA was in those years, but I think Davis was one of the guys they preferred throwing to.

If Davis slowly works things out, the Sox may not be missing a catcher.

after reading that im happy we got him as a throw in

i thought this guy was some incompatent mental case from his batting average .094 :lol:

looks like he's just a young kid tryin to make it and work out his kinks

burkes no MO

davis no MO

but hey, those are 2 pretty damn good catching prospects and odds are, one will work out and we will have a nice, talented, young catcher

adios Mo, thanks for the couple years brotha!

Here is a little more info on him:

2003 Pre All Star Break: .294 AVG, 5 HR, 32 RBI, .333 OBP, .823 OPS (thats pretty darn respectable). Now double that out and he has 10 HR and 64 RBI, which isn't too shabby. He of course went into a big time funk. Actually at the dead half way point, he was hitting just over .300 for the Mariners. So in the 2nd half of last season he went into a funk. He hit just .140 in the 2nd half of last season (94 AB's).

I should mention he had those 5 HR in only 153 at bats. IF you assume 500 at bats in a full season you would get about 16 HR's and 100 RBI's although I think that may be pushing it (especially the RBI totals). While further looking at Davis 2003 stats you'll notice he had only 2 poor months, August and September. He hit .250 or higher every other month. He also showed pretty good road splits (Well compared to his home splits) hitting .248 on the road overall.

When looking at Davis 2002 season you'll see he hit an impressive .294 on the road with a .338 OBP, and a .822 OPS. After the break he hit .294 with 6 HR and 25 RBI in just 102 at bats. Over 500 at bats, this would project to a tad under 30 HR and once again quite a few RBI. Of course, this isn't to say he'd actually do those numbers.

All I'm tyring to say is, this guy worked hard and has always been characterized as a good kid who has a tremendous arm (33% thrown out and 44% thrown out recently; 50% this year, but that was 2/4). He also is good at blocking pitches and has shown a good catchers ERA. He has also learned from a good fundemental catcher Dan Wilson. Manager Doug Melvin was frustrated with Davis struggles and it basically got him in the dog house this season.

He started off pretty poor in Tacoma and has since really picked it up. If you ask me, we are getting a guy that could be a lot closer then we all think.

In conclusion, combine his 2002 2nd half with his 2003 1st half and you have a guy who hit .294 with 11 HR and 55 RBI in only 255 at bats. I'm intrigued in his potential. He's a better defensive catcher then Miguel (Thats right, I'm going out on a limb) and offensively he is probably a bit behind Miguel, but he isn't as far back as some of the numbers would suggest.

Remember, Miguel's numbers are a little inflated by the fact he is mainly playing and hitting left handed pitching. He has struggled all season against righties, something that Ben Davis also has had trouble with historically.

In conclusion, combine his 2002 2nd half with his 2003 1st half and you have a guy who hit .294 with 11 HR and 55 RBI in only 255 at bats.  I'm intrigued in his potential.  He's a better defensive catcher then Miguel (Thats right, I'm going out on a limb) and offensively he is probably a bit behind Miguel, but he isn't as far back as some of the numbers would suggest.

Remember, Miguel's numbers are a little inflated by the fact he is mainly playing and hitting left handed pitching.  He has struggled all season against righties, something that Ben Davis also has had trouble with historically.

I'm starting to feel a little better over losing, Olivo.

Around the Horn: Catcher - Jan 19 2004

Take notes on what scouts and Melvin and others thought of Davis entering this season (that was just 3 months ago...well from the start of the season). However, I must of been wrong thinking he calls a good game, although I did see a few scouting reports that said he did so. He seems to have pretty good power potential though.

The time has come for Ben Davis to step up and carry the catching load for the Mariners.

He has been in Dan Wilson's shadow the past two seasons, but manager Bob Melvin expects the 27-year-old backstop to grasp the opportunity to become the team's No. 1 catcher.

"He's at the point of his career when he has to come out and take over," Melvin said. "He has a tremendous amount of potential and could become a top-of-the-line catcher."

The second player selected in the 1995 First-Year Player Draft, the switch-hitting Davis needed only three-plus years to reach the Major Leagues, appearing in one game for the Padres in 1998. His career was on a yo-yo the next two seasons as he shuttled between San Diego to Las Vegas before arriving for good in 2001, when he became the Padres' first-string catcher.

He played in 138 games, hit 11 home runs and drove in 57 runs that season.

Expecting to return to San Diego as the starter in 2002, Davis instead was traded to the Mariners, along with infielder Alex Arias and right-handed pitcher Wascar Serrano, for catcher Tom Lampkin, pitcher Brett Tomko and infielder Ramon Vazquez.

Though Davis made the adjustment and fit in well with the Mariners, his playing time has been sporadic. Wilson was the starter before Davis arrived and he remained the starter after the trade. Being the good soldier, Gentle Ben accepted his role and went along with the program.

"With Danno signing that two-year deal last year, we have been easing Ben into that role," Melvin said. "Now, with Willie in the final year of the contract, we want to challenge Ben to take the job. We want him to take the ball a try to win the job.

"He has a lot going for him. Scouts look at him and salivate."

At 6-4 and 240 pounds, Davis resembles a redwood behind the plate. He has a good throwing arm and blocks the plate well. But he still is learning the art of calling a game. There are too many times when he calls too many of the same pitches.

"Dan does a very good job calling a game and he can be Ben's mentor," Melvin said.

Although both want the same job, they are probably two of the closest players on the team. Their lockers during Spring Training and the regular season are next to each other and the chemistry between them suggests anything but a rivalry exists.

"We will go into Spring Training with no set plan other than to give them both a lot of playing time and see what happens," Melvin said.

Davis is more of a long-ball threat and the Mariners definitely need more power. Wilson hit four home runs and drove in 43 runs in 96 games (92 starts) last season while Davis hit six home runs and drove in 42 runs in 80 games (66 starts).

Don't be surprised if the games-started statistic does a flip-flop.

"It could be the reverse if Ben comes along the way we hope and expect," Melvin added.

The Mariners would be more than happy if Davis can perform as well during an entire season as he did in the first half last year, when he basically shared the catching duties. He batted .294 in 153 at-bats with five home runs and 32 RBIs before the All-Star Game.

After the break, he batted .140 in 93 at-bats with one home run and 10 RBIs.

"It looked like his bat might have been longer the second half of the season, but it wasn't due to being tired, obviously," Melvin said. "We hope that (hitting coach) Paul Molitor, who had a very short stroke, can shorten Ben's swing."

If Molitor is successful and Davis blossoms into a solid offensive threat, there will be a passing of the catching torch.

yeah, no joke man... what part of the country are u in?

SoCal...hell, its not too often I'm this excited about the Sox. Anytime after a trade I get all antsy and when I saw Ben Davis name involved I thought, this really could be another sleeper that Kenny picked up.

He seemed to be off everyones radars all day, so I figured I'd bring up some info on him and I'm not at all saying he'll be a stud, but he's got a chance.

Here is a quote from pitcher Travis Blackley (a teammate of his from AAA):

"All four pitches were strikes today," Blackley said. "It's nice when you've got that kind of accuracy with your pitches, that helped a lot. I like pitching to Ben, he calls a good game, he's big and solid behind the plate, he's just a huge zone to aim for. I like pitching to him. I like pitching here, too."

yup, hes another name in the hat that we can all agree, is in the mix

im in socal too

was living in santa barbara, but im thinking of moving back here to castaic to save up money with my folks

joy :puke

yup, hes another name in the hat that we can all agree, is in the mix

im in socal too

was living in santa barbara, but im thinking of moving back here to castaic to save up money with my folks

joy  :puke

Oh ya, I remember ya from one of the chats. I remember talking about Freebyrds with ya and how their burritos are the s*** :headbang :headbang